Jennifer, is that you?

Postby Anna » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:41 am

Just seen and found on your new news
Well, the first one, you're looking to much like a grown up, and so horrible serious.
It doesn't fits in how we see you in this forum and your comics.
Allright we all gettin' older, ... :wink:
You're looking like a teacher who likes to punish your poor pupils with awfull mathematics
The second one, is more sympatisch* (likeable, nice)
But I always thought your hair wouldn't be dark

You should ask your family to make much more, a lot of pictures from you so you can choose which one is for the public.
The last one is nice.

* The german using of "sympathisch" is different than if would say "sympathetic".
A typical trap of using german terms directly in english/american.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Re: Jennifer, is that you?

Postby Idiot Glee » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:19 am

Wow, not smoking helps alot. Graceful aging for the win!
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:38 am

Idiot Glee wrote:Wow, not smoking helps alot. Graceful aging for the win!

I was playing with Sandi's new camera. I am trying to learn how to use it, and I figured, what the heck, and did some pics of myself. I imagined it might be interesting to stick them in that essay, thinking that maybe seeing the author might feel more like a person-to-person connection, than some distant voice blathering on. Something like that.

Hmmm.... I'm not really sure how a 49 year old should look, I've always been really bad at guessing age from appearance. I assume by your statement that I perhaps don't look as wretchedly ancient and shriveled as I imagine I do. If so, cool.

It is true I don't smoke, don't drink, and I generally live a moderately healthy life. Moderately.

I can't exercise, so that is against me, I try not to overeat -my weight is stable, but still pretty hefty. I don't eat a lot of junk food, I imagine... I have maybe a pizza once a week as a lunch treat, and a non-chain burger once or twice a week. I don't like sweets much. I tend to crave fruit, though, berries especially.

Supposedly it would be healthy for me to drink a glass of wine a day, but I hate the taste of alcohol, so that's (possibly, depending on the study) a strike against me.

I have healthy meals at home, and one night a week we go to a nice little hole-in-the-wall Korean/Japanese/Chinese restaurant (wide menu). That's another treat, but still pretty healthy, I think.

I guess my biggest health sin is that I just cannot exercise. It has always been miserable for me, now it feels like dying. I can't face it.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Plasman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:03 am

Hey Jennifer, I did notice those new photos and I think they look lovely! (As in, "nice and professional looking".)
I like the second one because it's lit better - you can also see more of your eyes in that pose, which suggests that you're approachable and friendly. Not that the first photo is bad, of course!
You could take some outdoor photos next, when the weather is good, assuming you have a portable digital camera.
I only wish I looked so good in photos. Some of my portraits are downright shockers. Eeep.

In regards to your age and appearance, yes, I concur, you have aged well.
And yes, your lifestyle has helped greatly. I'll bet many people who spent their youth on drink and wild times would wish they hadn't, when their face starts sliding towards the ground (and then they face the horrors of cosmetic surgery and Botox)!

Were your parents the same? Did they look pretty good for their age too?

As for the exercise part, maybe you can find something reasonably low-impact that will keep your interest, like walking around your neighbourhood or going on a nature trek every week or so.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:22 am

Plasman wrote:
Were your parents the same? Did they look pretty good for their age too?

My dad looked pretty good up to the last I saw of him; he was pretty athletic though. Always climbing rocks and hiking through various wilderness. Of course he drank and did drugs a lot too. And smoked. Bastard.

I was going to say my mom was bad, but when I take into consideration various things... maybe I am not seeing things correctly. She smoked her whole life, constantly, she had me when she was 48, and while she had a little of that 'smoker's face' going on, the smoked meat look, she only really went to hell as she approached 70. I suppose that means she was doing good, really. If she hadn't smoked, hmm...

I guess so. Yeah, they did look pretty good, considering things like age and massive self-abuse.

They both made it to their 70's, my mom should have lived much longer but by 70 she was dying of emphysema, and then did (almost certainly) die of murder at my dad's uncaught hands.

It would be interesting if I have good longevity genes. I sure as hell hope so.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Idiot Glee » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:17 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Hmmm.... I'm not really sure how a 49 year old should look, I've always been really bad at guessing age from appearance. I assume by your statement that I perhaps don't look as wretchedly ancient and shriveled as I imagine I do. If so, cool.

Let's see, my mother is just a few years younger than you and smokes... Her hair is perpetually frizzled, her skin dry and wrinkled, she has a cough she denies exists, looks almost identical to her mother but still dyes her hair and is a bit taller. Also she insists she cannot walk a mile. And this is just a wild guess, probably 20 pounds heavier to boot.

...yeah.

My father on the other hand, smokes, drinks 2 pots of strong coffee a day, and looks it himself. He's late 40's looks mid fifties without his beard (early 60's with), and has yellow teeth that gradate to a big brown spot just right of the center.

Not scientific, but the similarities in backgrounds and ages give me an interesting juxtaposition here. You and my mother are both late 40's women with northern European backgrounds (German-Swedish FTW! Efficiency! Efficiency!); and to look at you compared to them could be an anti smoking PSA.

And no, you don't look ancient and shriveled at all. Seriously pessimism is one thing, but that's just out and out bull.
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:09 am

I've been up since 4 AM or so. This is buggering me.

So, to celebrate how out of my element I am, I present to you: My Breakfast!

Yes, this is my breakfast. I took a picture of it. Wow. Isn't that amazing! Yes, folks, Jenny has gone squirrel.

So, what is in this delicious breky presented just for you? A nice pot of whisked macha, the special tea used in tea ceremonies. I like it. It has this wonderful, almost chocolate like mouthfeel and scent, with an almost cream like aftertaste. Tea is to me like wine is to more normal people. I love tea.

Next up is strawberries! I love strawberries. They are currently my favorite fruit. I can't get enough of them. Mostly. These are big and succulent! Huzzah!

Tea and strawberries, a Jenny-Approved breakfast of kookoo-crazy-go-nuts champions everywhere. Enjoy.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby SilverFeathers » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:03 am

I think that's an EXCELLENT breakfast. I usually can't be arsed to eat because I'd rather sleep in until the LAST possible minute before having to go to work. I leave just enough time to feed the birds and check the snake tank to make sure my ikkle baby hasn't escaped before having to hit the door running.

I think we need a forumite picture thread... or do we have one already?
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Alikat » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:39 pm

I dine on a hearty breakfast of whatever carbohydrates happen to be stored in my liver from the previous day, then around dusk I force a beautiful Laplander boy to drink half a gallon of chocolate reindeer milk and then I drink a pint of his blood, which tides me over as I fly through the night seeking shade-grown coffee. Sometimes I supplement my diet with some swan jerky, which gives me much-needed rare minerals while destroying just a hint of the Earth's natural splendor for entertainment purposes.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Alikat wrote:I dine on a hearty breakfast of whatever carbohydrates happen to be stored in my liver from the previous day, then around dusk I force a beautiful Laplander boy to drink half a gallon of chocolate reindeer milk and then I drink a pint of his blood, which tides me over as I fly through the night seeking shade-grown coffee. Sometimes I supplement my diet with some swan jerky, which gives me much-needed rare minerals while destroying just a hint of the Earth's natural splendor for entertainment purposes.

I can haz cheezburger?
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Relee » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm not going to pretend you look truly young or something, but you definately look young for your age.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby marinschild » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:59 pm

Observations
  • That tea looks like some sort of liquefied moss.
  • That piece of pottery looks pretty used.
  • Go boards are really low to the ground.
  • I spy with my little eye something that begins with Latro-.
  • Five Strawberries- This is a secret message saying that you're trapped in the pentagon, yet they seem to be feeding you.

Have Kaye blink out "I am a little tubby puppy" in Morse code to confirm my suspicions (unless you don't want to be freed).
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Idiot Glee » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 pm

Translation: That photo has a nice Composition.

Breakfast for me: 2 cups of coffee (black), a piece of fruit and of bread, maybe a yogurt instead if they're handy.
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:35 am

I can still recall both the best and worst breakfasts I've ever had. I hardly ever eat breakfast (my appetite takes a lot longer to wake up than I do), so it's not as if I have to struggle to remember them.

:depressed: WORST: was not that bad, just badly timed. I was staying at my mother's house about two years back, because I was working in her town that day and my car was off the road - I basically needed somewhere to stay close to work.
I had to wake up reasonably early for my shift, but I didn't get to sleep until really late the night before. I would have got about four hours, if I was lucky.
My Mum wanted to help me wake up properly, so she made me some lovely hot buttered raisin toast.
I love raisin toast...
but not when I've had less than half the sleep I usually get.
I ate it as if I were eating greasy cardboard - while getting over a stomach bug.
ICK.

:kiss: BEST: was about eighteen years ago. I was at a school camp, and we were all having cereal with milk.
One of the camp supervisors went to fetch the milk from the fridge, only to discover that someone had accidentally put it in the freezer by mistake. Luckily, they'd noticed in time for the milk to still be usable, but it had just passed that point where ice crystals had started forming.
I had Rice Bubbles (US equivalent = Rice Krispies? The Snap, Crackle and Pop stuff) with the chilly, crystally milk, and it was delicious.
It was one of those really rare treats that I've never been able to reproduce, because of the chance nature of the milk. Who wants to sit by the freezer waiting for the milk to hit that "sweet spot"?

I try to have something wholesome when my appetite catches up with me nowadays.
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:35 pm

If you've got time, and a thermometer that's accurate at low temperatures, you could experiment with putting the milk jug in a bucket of ice water and adding salt. Higher salinity means lower freezing point, so the water gets colder.

Once you've found the 'sweet spot,' just make a note of the salinity.

For best results, use calcium chloride instead of sodium chloride. It's nonpotable, and blue, but half again as effective.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alfador » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Tea is to me like wine is to more normal people.

Define normal. I don't like most wines. I've had some really good ones, and some really good beers, but as a general rule of thumb I don't like the tastes that go with either. Mostly I drink water, or orange juice, because I drink when I'm thirsty and water and fruit juice are really good for that. Sometimes if I'm at work or at play and need to be more alert I sip an energy drink of some kind... but if I'm seriously sleepy even that can't keep me from drowsing off.

I treat caffeine and alcohol as the recreational drugs they are: use them occasionally when I specifically want to feel their effects, and do my best not to make a regular habit of it.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:32 am

strange_person wrote:If you've got time, and a thermometer that's accurate at low temperatures, you could experiment with putting the milk jug in a bucket of ice water and adding salt. Higher salinity means lower freezing point, so the water gets colder.

Ha! I'm glad you've thought more about it than I have... ;]
Actually, I'm not all that interested in duplicating the experience. it was one of those happy accidents that only seldom comes about in a lifetime. If I did manage to identify it and reproduce the conditions, it would probably dilute my enjoyment of it.
After all, I like sarsaparilla, but if I drank it every day...? Ug.
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:51 am

Well, the effort involved in mucking about with ice, and a thermometer, and a bucket, and carefully calibrated quantities of de-icing salt, would probably be a practical limitation against using iced milk more than, at most, once a week.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Mitsukara » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:27 am

That photo is airbrushed! At first I thought it was CGI (like the magic in Negima is surely explained away easily by), but then I looked closer and could tell that for instance the strawberries were definitely real... but parts of it are touched up all over. Very interesting piece! Kind of reminds me of the pictures for The Ishtar Crisis.

I really need to improve my diet. Excersize is coming to me a little more easily (at least, I walk a mile every day; forced myself into it as my main transport to and from work as well as grocery shopping and other pursuits; for the record, the bus does not exist except in certain places to really replace cars, so much as to enable you to reach places that would take ridiculous amounts of walking, like the next suburb over and such), and I'm slowly mixing in vegetables (spinach, tomato slices, peppercini slices, and occasional veggie patties at Subway) but crap (frozen dinners, frozen pizzas, large quantities of pepperoni, hot dogs, pop tarts, bagged cereal, Some Knockoff Totally Not Cheez-its, etc.) still comprises many staples for me. Oh, and I've been drinking some juice, mainly cranberry juice!

I would be intrigued at the idea of a member photo thread if people mutually feel okay about it and are interested. I could contribute a bit too, as I have a cheapo webcam to aid me in photo taking! :dead:
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:39 pm

Mitsukara wrote:That photo is airbrushed! At first I thought it was CGI (like the magic in Negima is surely explained away easily by), but then I looked closer and could tell that for instance the strawberries were definitely real... but parts of it are touched up all over. Very interesting piece! Kind of reminds me of the pictures for The Ishtar Crisis.

Duh... what? Gibber...gibber...?
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Next

Return to That Jennifer Person