Migrane Attack

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

Migrane Attack

Postby SilverFeathers » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:57 pm

While the evil side of me cackles at the in-lieu-of-strip graphic you posted... I think it's all the red.... and having been there... Moar hugs and hot tea for Jenny. Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

^*^ ^*^ ^*^ ^*^ ^*^ ^*^ ^*^ ^*^ ^*^ ^*^

...we need a tea icon.... and an ocha-uni...
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Re: Migrane Attack

Postby Quaeras » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:17 pm

feel better! :kiss:
Two "Yay"s, one "Hey!" and an essay. Still counting.
Quaeras
100 Post Little Master

Postby Volair » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:49 pm

That was a marvelously graphic representation of the experience, Jennifer. FEEL BETTER!
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby Plasman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:09 am

Poor 'splodey head... :depressed:
I hope you feel better soon, Jennifer.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Anna » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:01 am

Seems Only has a new home and plays the same game with Jennifer as like with Kaye.
Bad evil Only!

Well I've got a cold, oh you think that's harmless?
Maybe, but not if you got it at the bronchi, can't sleep, because of coughing, you lay down and it starts... oh my ...
And this needs always longer than my actual cold.
The nose is nearly dry now, but a mean headache is also present, and I feel absolute week.
I'd get a protect vaccination against the flu/influenza, but a "normal" cold...

No, I don't want Jennifers migraine, and I don't wish her my bronchial problems.
Get better Jennifer!
I just wanted to say, oh dear, I can imagine what you feel right now.
Be glad, an electronic posting can't infect you.

Get better!
Gute Besserung!
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Monocheres » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:32 am

Ouch! This flippin' lid here done bonked me on the hayd! This yerz? Now don' go bitin' my arm off, I'll give it back! Here yeh go. Hope it screws back on more snug-like this time, you don' go blowin' no gasket agayn, awright? You-all get better now, y' hear?
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alfador » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:20 pm

Yikes! *hug*
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby crunchlet » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:15 am

Have you tried drilling a hole in your skull to let the evil spirits out? Works every time //]
Get better soon *nosekiss*
crunchlet
Welcome, New User!

Postby Mitsukara » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:43 am

I believe this piece of art to be the best thing that ever came of the existence of headaches.
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Anna » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:54 am

crunchlet wrote:Have you tried drilling a hole in your skull to let the evil spirits out? Works every time //]
Get better soon *nosekiss*

There is a hole, a big, a very big whole...
for what do you need a drill?
Mitsukara wrote:I believe this piece of art to be the best thing that ever came of the existence of headaches.

The alliteration to to Kaye is obviously, but in my opinion a giant clamp would also do it.
But it wouldn't so dramatic.

Jennifer?
Do you feel better now?
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Skatche » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Albert Hoffman came up with a certain migraine remedy... although, of course, its efficacy as such was only recently discovered.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby marinschild » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Skatche wrote:Albert Hoffman came up with a certain migraine remedy... although, of course, its efficacy as such was only recently discovered.

That name sounds so familiar. Is he the guy who invented aspirin for the cure to things that aspirin cures? ^o^
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Skatche » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:15 pm

marinschild wrote:
Skatche wrote:Albert Hoffman came up with a certain migraine remedy... although, of course, its efficacy as such was only recently discovered.

That name sounds so familiar. Is he the guy who invented aspirin for the cure to things that aspirin cures? ^o^

No... he didn't invent aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), but he did invent a different kind of acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Hofmann
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Mitsukara » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:58 am

Groovy!

I would wholeheartedly love to see what Pastel Defender Heliotrope would've looked like with that kind of migraine combatant tactic employed.
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby marinschild » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:51 am

Wouldn't all the information your senses take in cause a migraine to be worse with the enhancement of a hallucinogenic drug?
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Skatche » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:25 am

marinschild wrote:Wouldn't all the information your senses take in cause a migraine to be worse with the enhancement of a hallucinogenic drug?

Intuitively, yes.

Fortunately, psychopharmacology does not operate based on intuition.

Mitsukara wrote:Groovy!

I would wholeheartedly love to see what Pastel Defender Heliotrope would've looked like with that kind of migraine combatant tactic employed.

Sweet Christ, that calls for some fan art. Gimme a week or so.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Plasman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Hello, Jennifer! We're glad to see that you're on the mend now, after-shocks and stomach problems aside. By the sounds of it, your migraines are far worse than any I've had. :(

..!
I've spent most of the past 25 years terrified about getting a migraine at a bad time, especially now that I often work alone. And yet, I also find them fascinating.
Well, not the "Stay in bed for 24 hours, sweating and shivering, and occasionally vomiting, while it feels like one of your eyeballs is being pulled through the back of your skull" aspect - THAT part can go jump. :x
It's the Migraine aura part (aka. Scintillating scotoma) that I find intriguing.

For those who don't know what that is, the "aura" is a pre-symptom of the migraine that occurs in the first thirty or so minutes of the attack, at least for some sufferers. It usually starts off as a small spot of light in the centre of vision, a little bit like the "after-glare" effect you get when you look at a flash bulb; it slowly expands out from the centre to form a "blind spot" (like that formed by your retina inside your eyeball). This is surrounded by a brightly-coloured border, made up of flickering zig-zag lines and spots - similar to something made in a fractal generator.
This blurred patch usually covers only one half of the visual field, either the left or the right, and its position can vary with each attack. Unlike most optical occlusions, the aura is visible through both eyes and, furthermore, you can see it even when your eyes are closed. (I'll explain why later.)
Other types of aura can have slightly different effects, such as lights flashing on and off in their vision. But the zig-zaggy one seems to be more common in those who have auras with their headaches. Though not dangerous in itself, attempting to drive home with vision blocked by the aura is very dangerous!
After about twenty minutes, the blind spot spreads out to the edges of your vision, leaving the centre field of your sight clear - Horray, you can read again! Once the aura has completely dissipated (usually this takes about 30 minutes, though it can last as long as an hour), the migraine proper begins - the headache, nausea, etc. In some cases, though, the aura can come and go without leading to any other symptoms.

The aura part was usually the scariest part for me, because a) I started getting migraines at a very young agae, and didn't know what they were at the time, b) after I'd experienced a few, I knew it would invariably lead to pain and yuckyness, and c) it was really really scary losing my ability to see - especially since sight is perhaps the most important sense in humans.
However, as I got older, I realised that it was actually a blessing in disguise. It gave me at least 30 minutes' warning, so I had a chance to tell someone else what was going on and get them to help me home (most of these happened at school, so all I had to do was tell my teacher and go to the sick bay). The only drawback was that it left me without the means to distract myself during this time, because it's important to stay as calm as possible before the headache sets in - otherwise it makes the headache much worse. But you can't read a book or watch television while your eyes are non-functional! :frown:

I later found out why this strange effect occurs, and why it's visible when your eyes are closed - it's nothing to do with your eyes, but with your brain. In actual fact, there is a ripple of activity spreading through the visual centre of your brain, at about 3mm per minute, and this is what trips off the sparklies and subsequent blind spot. It's a bit like a wave rolling in toward the beach. Here is a YouTube video demonstrating this effect, both optically and inside the brain.
What's especially interesting is that studies have been done, where blind people have had probes placed in their visual centre, and reported seeing lines and patterns of light (sorry - this needs a reference here, will add when I find one :blush: ). So the possibility remains that even people who are blind can see this bizarre effect before they have a migraine! 8O

If there is anyone out there who still wishes to know what this effect looks like, someone has posted a mock-up on YouTube. This model isn't 100% accurate, as it's been sped up and doesn't include the "blind spot" effect, but it's reasonably close. This video is probably better at demonstrating the effect in the corner of your eye. This page also describes the aura in a static, graph-like form, showing how it spreads across the visual field over time. In fact you'll probably find lots of examples drawn by migraineurs if you search for "migraine aura".

Sorry for filling up this page with a huge post, but I figured since we were on the subject it would be worthwhile explaining this to those who don't know what it's like, and to bring some comfort to those who don't know what it is they are experiencing (like how I used to be).

Before I step off this podium I suddenly find myself standing on, here are some points to leave you with, from someone who has experienced this himself.

>> If you are worried about suddenly falling ill with a migraine at a random time, make sure you have a plan to follow in advance. Talk to your doctor about managing the symptoms. Try to identify common triggers for the migraines (food, dehydration, stress, smoking, etc) and avoid them as much as possible. Have a support network of family and friends who can come and collect you if you are sick, or who can take care of your children. Inform your boss or teacher that you suffer from migraines, and about what you need to do if you fall ill at work or school. Preparation can help reduce the stress caused by a migraine attack, and can therefore reduce the severity of the illness.

If you find yourself suddenly experiencing these advance symptoms of a migraine:
<> Stay calm, and breathe deeply
<> Drink some water, or an electrolyte drink such as Gatorade (apparently this can relieve some of the symptoms)
<> Seek assistance from a friend or co-worker; call someone if you need to (and are able to) if you are not already at home
<> Take any medicine or therapeutic device you normally use for migraine
<> Find somewhere quiet and calming to rest, if you're unable to go home immediately
<> DON'T try to drive anywhere yourself until your vision has returned
<> Try to get as much rest and/or sleep as possible during and after the migraine attack
<> Oh, and keep a bucket handy, just in case :drool:

Migraines are not fun, but they are not necessarily fatal, and everyone's experience is different.
I hope this helps. ;]

EDIT: Further to the comments raised about LSD as a treatment for migraine, I have always wondered if there was any connection between the migraine aura and the visual hallucinations caused by "acid". Has anyone ever experienced both symptoms, and if so how do they compare?
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Skatche » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:04 pm

Plasman wrote:EDIT: Further to the comments raised about LSD as a treatment for migraine, I have always wondered if there was any connection between the migraine aura and the visual hallucinations caused by "acid". Has anyone ever experienced both symptoms, and if so how do they compare?

Although I've never had a migraine, I'm pretty sure I've experienced the scotoma - a blind spot in my vision that very slowly changed position and was kind of flashy. LSD visuals are of an entirely different character, and bear no relation, except insomuch as they both involve parts of the brain used for visual processing.
Last edited by Skatche on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Hmm... now I question if what I get are really migranes or not. When I do get a bad headache, I get a odd taste at the back of my throat that's more like a fresh-chewed asprin than bile, and the urge to hurl is SPECTACULAR. It feels like there's a little marble bouncing around in my head if I move it, and I get light and sound sensitive. Bad enough that I usually decide that I can't feel any WORSE so I just go about what I'm doing. Unless it's bad enough where if I stand up, I'm going to get dizzy and need to lie back down again. Sometimes I get nosebleeds. Usually they're brought on by sudden changes in barometric pressure. Grey skies moving in can take me down impressively. Strangely, though, the sudden "OMFGMONSOON" thunderstorms we have don't. They make me feel energized and hyper.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:49 am

SilverFeathers wrote:Hmm... now I question if what I get are really migranes or not.

Actually, by the sounds of it I'd say that you are in fact a migraine sufferer.

First of all, the sparkly blind spot doesn't appear with 100% of migraines, and it can sometimes appear without leading to a headache, as Skatche pointed out.

Secondly, there are other symptoms associated with migraines, and you can expect to experience at least one (but not necessarily all) of these during an attack:
<> localised pain behind one of the eyes, and one half of the head :sweatbead:
<> sensitivity to light and noise 8)
<> altered physical sensation, such as dizziness or disorientation :dead:
<> altered senses, such as strange tastes or sounds :P
<> nausea and/or vomiting :cry:
<> temporary numbness or paralysis in part of the body :boggled:

The most obvious indicator is the "half-head" pain. If you find that the headache is extreme and "lopsided" then it's defintely a migraine you've got there, for sure!
The word "migraine" is derived from "hemicrania", which means, natch, "half head".

Yes, I get the strange "medical" taste and the "marble-in-my-head" effect - I always used to think that it was my brainstem getting bruised! I had to keep away from the trampoline for a while after an attack...
Also, during the recovery period, I'd lie in bed and listen to these strange sounds popping off at random moments, like someone was playing random notes on a synthesiser: "...twidildeep... blurdip... bunuurDIP!... flurp..."

I'm surprised that you still manage to stay up and about during an attack. There is a scale to migraines, though, and sometimes you can get away with getting back up within a few hours - but still, you really ought to rest for a while, if you can.

And, you say that changes in weather can bring them on? Birds supposedly have some sort of magnetic compass in their heads, that helps guide their direction across the globe - maybe yours gets all screwed up during bad weather? ;]
Some people's triggers can be really weird. I know someone who says that being out in the countryside can set them off in her, because of all the "really fresh air". As for me, I suspect that my allergen is poultry. (eating it, not just birds in general)
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Next

Return to To Save Her