ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Re: 328 - Punchline

Postby marinschild » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:46 pm

WarpZone wrote:I do not get the reference. >.<

Well some of the best jokes are inside jokes.
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:58 am

marinschild wrote:
WarpZone wrote:
SilverFeathers wrote:Ba-dum-bum-ching!
I do not get the reference. >.<

Well some of the best jokes are inside jokes.

It was traditional, in comedy clubs that had a live band, that a comic would receive a 'rimshot' for a strong punchline. A rimshot is a term that represents a quick trio of hits on a snare drum, followed by a single quick smack on the cymbals. Ba-dum-bum-TISHHH!

Gag - Punchline - Rimshot.

Now if your question was not with Silverfeather's response, but instead with my comic... then maybe I have failed as a cartoonist. Elde had problems with this pair of strips, so I am worried.

The first strip, 'Gag' has Vola using her fancy new Museum Device to control Chou's body and face, via a hastily evolved software program with a very simple interface of smiley buttons. Vola vents her inner rage at Kaye by making Chou's dead face grimace in anger.

Today's strip 'Punchline' features Pho, up against the wall, as they all now must be when Kaye descends from the control sphere, reprimanding Vola for her impish and risky manipulation of Chou's face to antagonize Kaye, and the joke is that Vola, who never smiles, laughs or does anything but bitch, suddenly, and for the first time ever, grins like a maniac. Finally, something has pleased her.

Goddess, I hope your confusion was with the rimshot reference by Silverfeathers, and not me being a bad cartoonist.

Sigh.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby draque » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:04 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Goddess, I hope your confusion was with the rimshot reference by Silverfeathers, and not me being a bad cartoonist.

Sigh.

I didn't get confused until I checked the boards and saw people talking about whether the "got" the comic or not. What you explained was exactly what I took from it when I first read it.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:27 am

Whut...?

I didn't get the strip, Jenny.

But I put the blame on your meds/wrong meds/weaning off the meds/mental health as always.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Plasman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:58 am

Hey, if I was Vola right now, I'd very much be :mrgreen: ing too!
She could have some *fun* with this...

Wic wrote:I put the blame on your meds/wrong meds/weaning off the meds/mental health as always.

(Plasman puts Wic on the Naughty Chair) Bad Wic! Naughty Zombie! ;]
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby meatwhichdreams » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:40 am

Foolish Pho, you know not what you have unleashed! Vola is powered by PURE RUDENESS! %<
meatwhichdreams
Grape Class

Postby WarpZone » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:04 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Goddess, I hope your confusion was with the rimshot reference by Silverfeathers, and not me being a bad cartoonist.

Sigh.

Don't be ridiculous! I've been following your work since Kamishibai. You are not a bad cartoonist.

If anything, I've been a terrible audience. All assigning more significance to Vola's elaborate pose than to the smile on her face... All thinking it was a reference to a mentos commercial or something.

What was I thinking? :depressed:
WarpZone
Blueberry Class

Postby Wic » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:23 am

WarpZone wrote:

Sigh.

Don't be ridiculous! I've been following your work since Kamishibai. You are not a bad cartoonist.

If anything, I've been a terrible audience. All assigning more significance to Vola's elaborate pose than to the smile on her face... All thinking it was a reference to a mentos commercial or something.

What was I thinking? :depressed:

Yeah, even I know a Pepsodent reference when I see one!
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Ashes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:23 am

There there, everybody rolls a natural 1 sometimes.
-.-
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby sean canavi » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:39 pm

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5923/awsomevola.png

I had to, sorry.

And yeah, I'm back. Apparently my old account doesn't exist anymore. Go figure.
sean canavi
Welcome, New User!

Postby WarpZone » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:51 pm

Seriously, nobody's perfect. :D Especially when communication is involved, since that depends upon another person.

I probably would have zoomed in on Vola's face in the third panel without her moving a muscle, to show her mouth just barely cracking a smirk in the corner of it. All eyes off the top of the screen and stuff. Pulling a Texto, basically.

Ugh, but then, if you'd done that, I probably just would have thought it was a picture of Texto. :(

I... I can't think of a way to express it that I wouldn't fuck up the interpretation of. It's a pretty tricky thing to do. On video, it would be easy-peasy, just zoom in, the actors' faces look different... hmmm... I guess all you coulda done to remove all ambiguity would have been to make panel 3 identical to panel 2, but with the grin added.

I can see why you didn't want to go that route, though. Re-painting those images by hand to look nearly identical is probably really hard. And boring. I'm amazed you were able to go through it once!
WarpZone
Blueberry Class

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:00 am

sean canavi wrote:http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5923/awsomevola.png

I had to, sorry.

That made me laugh out loud. Thanks! ^v^
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:03 am

WarpZone wrote:Seriously, nobody's perfect. :D Especially when communication is involved, since that depends upon another person.

I probably would have zoomed in on Vola's face in the third panel without her moving a muscle, to show her mouth just barely cracking a smirk in the corner of it. All eyes off the top of the screen and stuff. Pulling a Texto, basically.

Ugh, but then, if you'd done that, I probably just would have thought it was a picture of Texto. :(

I... I can't think of a way to express it that I wouldn't fuck up the interpretation of. It's a pretty tricky thing to do. On video, it would be easy-peasy, just zoom in, the actors' faces look different... hmmm... I guess all you coulda done to remove all ambiguity would have been to make panel 3 identical to panel 2, but with the grin added.

I did consider that. I wanted to punch it up, I imagined. Also, you are right....

I can see why you didn't want to go that route, though. Re-painting those images by hand to look nearly identical is probably really hard. And boring. I'm amazed you were able to go through it once!

Any sane person would have just cut-and-pasted the first panel three times. But NOOOO.... I have to be an idiot. Yes, I couldn't bear to do it a third time. I had to draw a different angle. I just HAD to. I did cut and paste the background wall. I have limits.

HEY!
One weird thing: if you cross your eyes with those two panels, the slight differences almost make the scene look stereoscopic. Almost. Sort of.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Mitsukara » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:23 am

This meshed perfectly once I realized one small bit that tripped me up at first: I thought Kaye was handling the remote. I failed to notice the tacrophyl on the remote that said Vola Eretse, and the fact that the hand had nails, and also the logical conclusion that since Vola had been working on Chou in some manner, it must be her at work here.

So basically I think that Punchline was just fine- it was Gag that I misunderstood. Once I caught on to what was going on, though, I laughed at the sheer awesomeness. :D Vola = epic win.
Rwrrr!
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby sean canavi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:55 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:
sean canavi wrote:http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5923/awsomevola.png

I had to, sorry.

That made me laugh out loud. Thanks! ^v^

Welcome! x3
sean canavi
Welcome, New User!

Return to To Save Her