TSH #331 - Thirsty

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

TSH #331 - Thirsty

Postby Plasman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:34 pm

To Save Her #331: Thirsty
Poor Mr Pho...

For reference, as if regular readers need it...
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: TSH #331 - Thirsty

Postby RaharuAharu » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 am

Is that some Only on the fragment?

Maybe they can grow another Only in the tank?
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby marinschild » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:46 am

RaharuAharu wrote:Is that some Only on the fragment?

Maybe they can grow another Only in the tank?

I think that is half of a bolt that was cut off with the chunk of the crate. It is sad, but I think Only is really gone. >.<
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby WarpZone » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:37 am

Oh, COME ON!

So he just sleeps by the farging door!?

I see the monks didn't teach him the ultimate super-secret Crystal Dodo Ninja Technique of sticking to the Godan-soaked PLAN!

*pant, seethe, growl*

Okay. I'm all better. :)

Edit: Oh, wait... The door wasn't the place where his corpse was laying... musta got turned around...

*consults his map*

...which way to Furinkan High?
WarpZone
Blueberry Class

Postby Mitsukara » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:11 am

Corpse? Mr. Pho has never been seen as a corpse. The closest I recall is when poor Universe A Pho eventually died in a mine collapse rescuing the miners.

Speaking of which, I wonder if there were any Pho and Chou pairings that worked out, in all these splays?

I'm trying to figure out the title on this one. Thirsty? Is Pho up for a glass of water late at night? And what he finds is a drop of sacred unicorn piss on the fragment Only cut off the same different splay crate? Will drinking it give him super powers? Surely this must be his secret plan, so as to become a superhero and rescue Pajama Man.

Okay, but seriously, sensical interpretation:

Pho was thirsty and up to get some water, when he spies, different-yet-same mover as it is, the very same chunk of box cut off (looked at the cut in the second panel, I do think that's just a spot from the way it was cut). He holds it sadly, thoughtfully, in silent remembrance of his lost only friend from so many years.

He needs a big hug. :(
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Monocheres » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:04 am

Wait a minute, am I missing something? Go back to this sequence:
289 - Buttons
290 - Tail
291 - Out

Now look at today's strip:

331 - Thirsty

[Edit: Since posting this, Jennifer has fixed the above strip to restore continuity, so my comments below are out-of-date.]

What happened to the huge, jagged second gash Only chopped out of that box? This occurred while they were parked at the Museum of Antiquities. They were in electanic shadow the whole time, and since then they've been subcosmerged and traveling, so I doubt there's been enough time for Trisylmaistan anentropy to repair the gash that much. And, as far as I can tell, they haven't switched movers since then. As far as I can tell...

Either this is a big continuity faux pas on Jennifer's part (oh, say it isn't so!), or this is incredibly significant...
Last edited by Monocheres on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 am

The mover itself is a powerful electanic emitter. That's why they don't need charge packs while inside.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Monocheres » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:14 am

strange_person wrote:The mover itself is a powerful electanic emitter. That's why they don't need charge packs while inside.

True, but has there really been enough time for the gash to spontaneously heal? My impression is that it would take months, maybe years, maybe even centuries. Since they left the Museum they've been traveling how long? Days at most.

Also note that the first slice Only inflicted on that box, in strip #124, was still there, and not noticeably healed, when he did the big job in strip #290. From that I conclude that, however inexorable the anentropy effect might be, it is glacially slow.

But now in strip #331, the original slice, which was somewhat above the corner rivets, seems to be gone. At first I mistook the #331 slice for the #124 one, but it's clearly down by the rivets like the big #290 gash. It looks for all the world like the #124 slice has already healed completely and the big gash from #290 has healed down to one remaining slice (which itself must have reassembled from shattered slivers). What would account for the massive acceleration in anentropy?

There's something significant going on here. Pho is nothing if not a keen observer. Something motivated him to take notice of the box, walk over, and pick up that shard. I think sentimental attachment to his jelly friend was only a small factor. Can you really discern the expression on his face in that last panel? Is that sadness? Or some sort of grim realization ...
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby rossperk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:10 am

Um, do the backgrounds in those shots look different to you?
If so, and this is another box, perhaps this is a box with a new slice taken out of it?
rossperk
Welcome, New User!

Postby Monocheres » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:32 am

rossperk wrote:Um, do the backgrounds in those shots look different to you?
If so, and this is another box, perhaps this is a box with a new slice taken out of it?

Or perhaps, without our noticing it, our viewpoint has been shifted to another mover?
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monocheres » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Of course, I realize I may be reading too much into this. Jennifer has already stated directly (here) that #331 is about tying up the loose end of Pho's grief over Only.
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 pm

Fuck. I've screwed up.

I forgot about the slashity-hack action that led to Only gaining a tail. I remembered the cut on the crate alone.

This is a problem. I'm not sure yet how to fix it.

I need Pho to pick up the original cut (relative to the current Mover) made by (this Mover's) Only, when that Only first grew his horn. Yet, being able to pick out the original crate bit from a pile of debris would be unlikely. It also wouldn't have the same impact.

Any suggestions? I need to think about this.

I... suppose... I could just shine it on. It wouldn't be the first continuity error an author has ever made, that's for sure, and it is pretty minor in terms of causality - and it serves a dramatic purpose.

Still.... it is an error.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Within seconds of my last post, the answer hit me.

HEY!
FIXED!
The problem has been fixed!

It doesn't matter what piece Lymcit picks up; remembering Only does not depend on a specific piece of detritus, rather upon the fact that there is evidence of Only at all.

With a little bit of painting over, the image has been brought into continuity.

Thank you very much Monocheres, (see? this is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in my latest News section. My bad memory made up for by sharp-eyed and sharper minded readers!) you saved me from looking more the fool than I already am. Huzzah!

I try so hard to keep continuity. It's tough, remembering every little thing, from the (current) placement of crates to what stickers they have on them, and where those stickers are stuck. I had completely forgotten the Only tail thing. Damn.

In a multiple-reality spanning story, with several Movers, two Volas (at least!), multiple cross-reality Onlies (or is it one all-spanning Only???) and a plotline that to all appearances was wildly spun out of the ass of a spider made insane by LSD during a low-gravity experiment on a shuttle mission, I definitely have my work cut out for me.

If I didn't have you folks, I would be rodgered.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Anna » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:49 pm

Oh, I was to slow for an answer?

my post:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've got not the full story in my mind/memories, im Gedächtnis.
Some explanations?
Ahm...
The container could be moved, turn around?
It was in the other mover?
Or much simpler, that container has changed the mover during the contact with the other parallel encounting mover?

However...
Be glad that TSH is not in print...

Hey folks!
Could we generously give Jennifer the time to correct/change this today strip, and/or give her the allowness to correct some parts in the comic?
You see, every Hollywood-movie has a sneak preview, comics, online-comics doesn't have it, so let Jennifer correct her work, before she has to construct adventurous spins and explanations which would need a deeper insight of Tryslmaistain physics, and we all would need a university grade at first.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit:
And then I see Jennifer had fixed it!
Baah, german thoughts to put into english is to slow for me...
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Monocheres » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:24 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Thank you very much Monocheres

I must admit that I have mixed feelings about this. Of course, I am only too glad to have been of service, and even more glad that the solution came to you so readily. On the other hand, I was really jazzed at the idea that I had peeled back a layer of the noir onion to expose some imminent plot twist. Still, I must commend you on what you've achieved here, whether you fully realize it or not:

Look at the big gash now. Like the mouth of some savage beast, lined with cruel teeth ... and yet, at the same time, mournful, almost sepulchral.

I recall how fearsome and terrible a thing a mouth is to an ordinary Jellese. Terrible enough to drive unprepared jellies even unto madness. (Remember poor little "Jah-nee" from Unicorn Jelly, and the imagery of how he saw humans?)

And yet Only, in a vain attempt to survive, forced himself to enter that mouth, and let it rend his flesh. Can you appreciate what an incredible act of bravery that must have taken? I'm sure Pho does ...

Very poignant. Well done.
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:35 pm

Monocheres wrote:
I recall how fearsome and terrible a thing a mouth is to an ordinary Jellese. Terrible enough to drive unprepared jellies even unto madness. (Remember poor little "Jah-nee" from Unicorn Jelly, and the imagery of how he saw humans?)

And yet Only, in a vain attempt to survive, forced himself to enter that mouth, and let it rend his flesh. Can you appreciate what an incredible act of bravery that must have taken? I'm sure Pho does ...

Holy Chromataphore! You're right.

That is the damn weirdest thing, when that happens. I cannot explain it to myself, yet it keeps happening. I didn't plan that, or even remember that. Frankly, I'd entirely forgotten about things like Jah-Nee and the Jellese reaction to mouths until you mentioned all of that. I have a terrible memory. I can't even remember my own crap.

Yet, there it is. It does make that sense, relative to my previous work. It's self consistent.

I do not know how that happens.

Maybe some part of my screwed-up brain does remember, even if I don't. I don't know. But... of all the shapes to make that broken bit on that crate, a reference like...the big artificial grimace on Big Bufu (Hey! I just remembered Bufu! Wow!) that gave Uni his tail, way back when, a gaping mouth.

Um... that's one other thing all of you do for me, a thing I did not remember to add to my news. You notice when I somehow, unknowingly.... somehow....manage to do something that makes special sense. That lets me feel amazed, because it isn't intentional. Or if it is intentional, then something is going on in my brain behind my conscious ability to know the process.

I've always had a terrible memory. My medication has only made it worse. I can't even remember last week very well. My existence is this fog of acknowledgment that I must have a past, interrupted by brief, remarkably clear and sharp memories of isolated incidents taken out of chronological order. I have to think about the details of any of these sudden bursts of memory to orient them in terms of when they must have occurred, like how tall I must have been, pre or post transition, and who I am with, or what city the memory takes place in. That sort of thing.

I can't just tell. I can't remember what I did last week, or what I ate last night. I can't tell you, often, even what my morning was like. I can't remember my own mother's face. That one bugs me; I have no pictures of her. She is gone forever in a deeply profound way. Erased.

And I can't remember my own work. I have to go back and check anything I reference, and sometimes I can't find it and just have to wing it, like I did with this comic, originally. And I screwed it up, and you caught it, and that fixed it... but apparently there was something extra going on there. Maybe previous me planned this. I don't know. To me, it just feels like a miracle. Like total luck.

I know most people don't live like this. I know you have some sense of time, and your place in it. I know you remember things, in order, and have a feeling of having existed over the span of your life; that you can remember your life like a story that has chapters and order to it. An index, I suppose.

I don't. I often wish I did. And it makes it really hard to tell stories that take years to finish. But somehow it works.

That's why I think some part of my brain remembers, it just can't talk to the part of me that can type and think. I assume.

It's kind of embarrassing. And, if I worry about it, kind of scary, so I try not to think about it too much.

But... you all help me in that way, the way I described, pointing out when something makes sense that I did not see or know.

I like the feeling of 'wow' when it happens. That's nice.

But it is, I suppose, kind of creepy why it happens. I think I'll go back to just concentrating on the 'wow' part, and feel accidentally clever for a moment.

Anyway, thanks.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby strange_person » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:16 am

The procedures and neurological connections you developed (before I was born, if I'm reading the timeline right) for mnemonic repression are the hallucinogenic weed in this scenario, weighed against the golden beam of your Onetime Muse.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Anna » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:49 am

To be honest...
You are working a lot of years on this stuff, one or two steps (stripes) every week, and it seems that you have no direct written storyline, a kind of screenplay, which is very exact, PDH and TSH spreads over a huge time era, and you are telling that you can't remember your own story?
That's absolute normal under these circumstances!
Maybe you should have a more specific pre-work, write a "novel" at first, or so..., suddenly inspiring ideas can happen but you must integrate it in your big masterplan.
A comic which uses a lot of years and goes "slowly" at work..., that's an invocation for silly and funny mistakes.
So let your medics feel guilty, he he he...

As you know, I'm doing CD and DVD cover/booklets.
My work is also to scan other products, create catalogues, make some flyers.
And suddenly, there is a question for a special thing I've made some months/weeks ago, - what, I did this? Really?
And, surprise, there it is on my harddisk, with hundreds of other similar works...
I can't trust my memory also.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Alfador » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:19 pm

The word for the week is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptomnesia... though the definition doesn't STRICTLY apply in this case, since your inadvertant reference was not plagiarizing another's work but rather making reference to your own, it's the same mechanism.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monocheres » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Jennifer, many of the memory effects you describe are actually quite common. I wager few could recall what they had for lunch the previous day. I am about your age, and it's come to my attention that, while I can place the sequence of many things that happened to me in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, many of the years in the 90s and 00s seem interchangeable to me. And once you've worked steadily at a craft for a couple decades, you reach a point where you've forgotten more about what you've done than what you still know. The human brain is only so big.

The time of our lives is like a landscape. We rise from the shoreline of our birth through a set of pleasant foothills called infancy and childhood. It is easy to place our memories of that time because the terrain abounds with landmarks. Then we make the arduous trek over the jagged mountains of puberty and adolescence, and all the crags and pitfalls in that tumultuous domain sear the map of time in our heads with vivid, even lurid, decorations. But eventually we win through to the great high plain of adulthood. As we soldier on, the landscape around us becomes gradually smoother and more monotonous, one passing mile pretty much the same as the next. With few landmarks, the map of memory becomes more difficult to plot, unless we employ the artifices of the cartographer's sextant, compass, and grid. Trudging on, we know that someday the wide, fertile savannah will evolve into a featureless arid steppe, and by degrees decline into an endless, gritty desert, where the dunes will drag at our feet and make our joints groan. Until one fatal day we stumble upon a precipice, fall off the worldplate, and float forever in space ...
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Next

Return to To Save Her