TSH #331 - Thirsty

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

Re: TSH #331 - Thirsty

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:08 am

I'd never heard of cryptomnesia before. I found that very interesting, especially that it is possible to 'plagiarize' your own, earlier self. The notion of putting it that way makes thinking of one's self previously in time as a different person almost irresistible.

That a person can be sued successfully for accidental, unintentional cryptomnesiacal plagiarization bothers me. I've always felt sorry for George Harrison, for example, his story (as mentioned in the Wiki article) is well known to me through Sandi's radio work. I mean, sheesh.

This makes me fear that I might someday end up unintentionally duplicating something someone else did. If I copy my own stuff, fine, I'm a silly ass, I know that already.

Then again, if I do, I am sure someone will tell me. I just hope I don't.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Plasman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:56 pm

I noticed the problem with the crate way back when I did the first post, but I thought it might have been a "Same crate, different mover" situation, ie. that was a totally different crate.
Then I realised that Only only cut the hole after they'd arrived at the forbidden worldplate, so it should have had the bigger hole. Unless there was a different Only that cut a different crate to begin with... :boggled:

Never mind. Sorry I didn't bring it up sooner! :blush:
BTW, I'm glad that this comic was easier to fix than this one would have been...

As for your other comments, re: the strange behaviour of memories, it can all be summed up with saying that the mind does not cite its references.

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:This makes me fear that I might someday end up unintentionally duplicating something someone else did. ...Then again, if I do, I am sure someone will tell me. I just hope I don't.

Don't worry, in the art world it's called homage. Just say you did it deliberately, and congratulate the discoverer on their keen eye! (and then fork out the royalty payments)

Monocheres, you have a great way with words. I agree totally with what you are saying. In fact, I feel that way already, and I'm just over half your age. It doesn't help that the majority of life is built up of boring stuff like going to work, sleeping, eating or bowel movements... If we could somehow think of ways to make those seem really interesting, we'd have the problem licked.
Monocheres wrote:Trudging on, we know that someday the wide, fertile savannah will evolve into a featureless arid steppe, and by degrees decline into an endless, gritty desert, where the dunes will drag at our feet and make our joints groan. Until one fatal day we stumble upon a precipice, fall off the worldplate, and float forever in space ...

:(
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monocheres » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:12 pm

Plasman wrote:Monocheres, you have a great way with words.

Me? Oh, I am but an amateur. A dabbler. A dilettante.

Shakespeare wrote:To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.

Now that's a way with words. For the love of God, the man only invented half the English language!

Plasman wrote::(

Now, now! Steady on, old boy! :-) What I would give to be just over half my age again! I'll tell you, though, when I start to feel bad about it, I just do a little mental time travel and thrust myself headlong into futurity...

Whoosh! Here, look at me now at 95, just over double my age. What few wisps of hair remain are a sickly white, liver spots and wrinkles all over, my voice a dusty husk, teeth rotted away, eyes filled with rheum and dimmed by macular degeneration and cataracts, hearing long since faded (what's that?), hands gnarled with arthritis, knees trembling, barely able to stand, varicose veins throbbing in my legs, back bent over as if in subjection, prostate gone to cancer leaving me wearing diapers for the incontinence (the sine qua non of degradation). And then, of course, there's the pain. The pain. The constant, relentless pain. Everywhere. Pain in your bones. Pain that won't let you sleep. Pain that makes you get up in the middle of the night and shuffle your way around your house trying to find a place to escape it. And worst of all, there's nobody left to talk to about it. You know, the real folks. They're all dead. Not those kids, and their kids, and their kids, forget about them, what do they know anyway? Just a bunch of brats. Nobody left who remembers the way it used to be. Hell, they don't even remember Obama any more. Hah! That's rich. Oh God how'd I get so old, so old, so lonely, so alone, can't stand it, but too weak to do anything about it now, why didn't I think about it back then, would've appreciated what I had, God what I'd give to go back, oh take me back, oh please God please please ....

Whoosh! Holy crap! How'd I get back here? What time is it? Hell, what year is it? There's a calendar on the fridge, what's it say? 2009? No way. Gotta check, what's in my wallet? Well, will you look at that, dollars! Actual paper dollars. Not a benjamin in sight. And damn, do I feel good! I mean, really good. Check it out, I can bend over and touch my toes. I can eat an apple. Woo-hoo! I can do a jig! And ... and ... omigod, that hasn't happened in a long time ... :-)

Ah, it's good to be back!
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Previous

Return to To Save Her