TSH # 332 • Grief

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

TSH # 332 • Grief

Postby Anna » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 am

http://pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20332.html
I've seen this strip, but I don't know what to write about it.
Send a condolence card?

To say it with Internutters word
"This sig is a lie."
isn't it?
^*^
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Re: TSH # 332 • Grief

Postby marinschild » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:07 am

I can't get the image of Virtue's face out of my head.
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Sparrowfall » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:31 am

Newbie lurker here, hi!

This panel struck me because of the impact it might potentially have on Virtue/Texto. He's watching Pho mourn the loss of Only, and in his twisted mind might start thinking out the ramifications of sacrifice himself.

I wonder now if his death might turn out to be entirely willing. I think back to how his alternate self experienced this and how it changed him.
Sparrowfall
Welcome, New User!

Postby Monocheres » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:51 am

Sparrowfall wrote:Newbie lurker here, hi!

Welcome, Sparrowfall. There's a special providence in every newbie who joins. ;-)
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Monocheres wrote:

Welcome, Sparrowfall. There's a special providence in every newbie who joins. ;-)

If by providence you mean "Nutty, cream-filled center", then yes. Yes there is.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Monocheres » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:58 pm

SilverFeathers wrote:
Monocheres wrote:

If by providence you mean "Nutty, cream-filled center", then yes. Yes there is.

Methinks the Bard would hold it misadventure
And the most improvident of curses
E'er to inscribe "nutty, cream-filled center"
In iambic pentametric verses.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:52 am

This panel struck me because of the impact it might potentially have on Virtue/Texto. He's watching Pho mourn the loss of Only, and in his twisted mind might start thinking out the ramifications of sacrifice himself.

I wonder now if his death might turn out to be entirely willing. I think back to how his alternate self experienced this and how it changed him.

First, WELCOME Sparrowfall!

Secondly, one do wonder, don't one? Even I have trouble trying to figure out everything that goes on behind Virtue's implacable mask-like face. Just how far is he willing to take this 'hero' notion he has decided to try to live?

Perhaps we will have an answer very soon indeed....
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Monocheres » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:17 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:... Virtue's implacable mask-like face ...

... which, in fact, was literally reduced to nothing but a mask, in Unicorn Jelly.
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby marinschild » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:36 pm

I'm curious... would the god-like healing machine be able to restore Virtue back to life if his head/brain sustained critical damage?
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby InterNutter » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Given the near-omnipotence of the nanotech involved, it would be plausible for the healing machine to repair a major head wound like the one shown. It may even spare his life, if he was delivered into said machine before he died.
The person likely to emerge would not be Virtue as we know him. He would be... Virtue-reset. An amnesiac with fragments of the original Virtue remaining.

A machine like that could plausibly restore the brain... but could it repair damaged memory? I doubt it. The best possible result would be a re-set dating back to the last time he used the machine... assuming it works from previous 'reads' of its patients.
If it's working on assumed normal patterns... we may get a completely non-psychopathic Virtue [I assume the frontal lobes were/will-be destroyed in the shadow-glimpse future.] or someone with the moral compass of a child.

I guess it would all depend on the level of techno-hoodoo involved.
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie...
InterNutter
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:42 am

marinschild wrote:I'm curious... would the god-like healing machine be able to restore Virtue back to life if his head/brain sustained critical damage?

In theory, if the damage was not so terrible that a majority of cells overall had suffered irreversible apoptopsis. There is a limit to the anentropic magic of Tryslmaistan; there is a threshold beyond which data is lost by being replaced with a new state. A better way to put it is to say that reversibility - the broken cup becoming whole again - becomes increasingly less likely the more time that passes, and the more absolute the dissolution. A broken cup in a perfect box (sealed, immobile, all cup parts present including dust) will heal given enough time... but in the real world, parts get split up and reversal becomes less and less likely. Eventually, all remains sand (constantly disturbed by foot or tendril).

Human cells are terribly complex, by Tryslmaistan standards, and very susceptible to irreversible change as a result. The parts fall to far apart, swirled by fluid and mess for such complex nanomachinery. The less complex mesomachinery of Jellese biology is simple, by comparison.

As long as hypothetical Virtue's brain was still living, if damaged, and his body was still alive, if failing, he could be saved. However, he would undoubtedly suffer deficit, perhaps great; certainly memory deficit. Memories are apparently encoded within individual cells (so the latest studies demonstrate) which means they must be encoded in some nano-scale way, likely in complex patterns of molecules. Anentropic healing could put cells back together if they were not too damaged, but if the cytoplasm is spread all over, even if the cell were restored, the complex matter of the molecules would not be perfectly replaced. Generally replaced is the best that can be done; and while that is sufficient for the large, bacteria to cell-sized biological machinery native to Tryslmaistan life, it would be insufficient for the far tinier (and vastly more information dense) molecule-sized machinery of human life. Functions would be lost.

Now, that said, in a perfect box, once again, if every molecule, every traton of Virtue were inside, and we could wait for eons and eons of absolutely no disruption or disturbance, in theory, Virtue would one day wake up perfectly repaired. In theory.

However, even in that scenario there is a problem... Virtue would likely wake up only partially healed (enough to move!) before that moment, and start blindly pawing at the gaping hole in his own skull, and mess it up again, ruining the whole process with new information - the restructuring of brain matter by blunt fingers trying to find out what hurts. It would cock-up the whole situation.

The healer unit acts to vastly speed up the anentropic healing process through mesomachine (or nanomachine, depending on the tech level) intervention combined with controlled manipulation of the electanic force that permits anentropic healing, but it too has limits. It can fix a broken leg easily, if not 100% perfectly. It can rapidly seal a wound, even seal an artery. It could heal a hole in a major organ, if the hole were not too large. It could even re-grow a body part entirely, given enough time.

But in a mortal wound, time is one thing there often isn't enough of. Regrowing a toe, or even an arm, is commonplace. But a missing toe or arm is not usually immediately fatal (baring bleed out). But regrowing enough brain, ordered well enough to function, in the short time required to save a failing life... is very, very unlikely.

In short; even in Tryslmaistan, if you are shot in the head, you are dead. You'd have to be basically already sitting on the healer unit to survive being shot in the heart. Shot in the kidneys or spleen... if you can get to the healer while you are still alive, you almost certainly would make it. Shot in the arm or leg... no sweat.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby SilverFeathers » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:07 am

So even the nanojuice in Chou's tank wouldn't be capable of saving his life if you plunked him in it? Or is she an exception to the rule because of her white-life hybridism?
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby strange_person » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:42 pm

Well, she had an intact brain,or at worst a bit concussed, and Vola was right there with the stasis-goop. In the preview scene, Vola was not in evidence.

I mean. it's conceivable that the cynical, apathetic Jesusian healer could have been hiding behind a crate, with all the right tools prepared, poised to jump out into the line of fire and disregard her own safety while providing medical care for a murderous psychopath, but...
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Return to To Save Her