Electanic surgery

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

Electanic surgery

Postby Skatche » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:46 pm

So, the anentropic tendencies of Tryslmaistan cause anything altered to slowly return to its previous state, due to the presence of electanic "ghosts", almost like Platonic forms writ upon the Tryslmaistan spacetime. This is great for the healing process: wounds will heal faster than they would in Mundis.

For the most part, this is also good for surgery. But with surgery there's the additional factor of new matter being introduced into the body, or the structure of the body being deliberately altered, as with transplants and SRS. We'd expect a much higher rejection rate of donated organs in Tryslmaistan than in Mundis, and - what's worse - someone like Wai Wai might expect his new "equipment" to gradually detach itself and his old sex to reassert itself.

I assume, therefore, that for certain procedures, surgeons in high-tech Tryslmaistan splays must work not only on the physical body, but also on its electanic ghost. Is that right? What kind of tools would they use for manipulating the ghost? For making it visible while they work?
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Re: Electanic surgery

Postby Alfador » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:49 am

Skatche wrote:So, the anentropic tendencies of Tryslmaistan cause anything altered to slowly return to its previous state, due to the presence of electanic "ghosts", almost like Platonic forms writ upon the Tryslmaistan spacetime. This is great for the healing process: wounds will heal faster than they would in Mundis.

For the most part, this is also good for surgery. But with surgery there's the additional factor of new matter being introduced into the body, or the structure of the body being deliberately altered, as with transplants and SRS. We'd expect a much higher rejection rate of donated organs in Tryslmaistan than in Mundis, and - what's worse - someone like Wai Wai might expect his new "equipment" to gradually detach itself and his old sex to reassert itself.

I assume, therefore, that for certain procedures, surgeons in high-tech Tryslmaistan splays must work not only on the physical body, but also on its electanic ghost. Is that right? What kind of tools would they use for manipulating the ghost? For making it visible while they work?

Well, as Jenny said in the other thread, humans and other redlife/greenlife are much more complex than a non-perfect setup for natural regeneration can cope with. Wounds heal faster, but a big enough wound can still kill you permanently. Also... humans GROW. Permanent changes happen, and over time, the electanic "ghost" does change to accomodate a new state. Especially if it's multiple changes over time. I'm imagining a surgeon keeping a tight bandage on someone's stomach to keep a donated organ from leaping out the incision, but after a few days it calms down. Though admittedly that's probably sillier than the real state of affairs.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: Electanic surgery

Postby strange_person » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Probably not that silly, no. Natural electanic repair operates much more slowly than organic homeostasis.

On the other hand, if you're repairing an antique watch, you'll need to check for transplant compatibility.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Return to To Save Her