#333: Go

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

#333: Go

Postby ThingOfThing » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:11 pm

http://pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20333.html

I gotta admit, I wasn't expecting THAT.
There ain't no rest for the wicked, money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed, there ain't nothing in this world for free
I can't slow down, I can't hold back, though you know I wish I could
But there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good
ThingOfThing
Kumquat Class

Re: #333: Go

Postby Monocheres » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:57 pm

Curiouser and curiouser... Is this Kaye's attempt to defy fate?
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Well, that explains Vola's outcome, and absence from the preview.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Ashes » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:23 pm

Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Anna » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:23 am

Was this planed by Jennifer?
Or did she made it to make us a pleasure?
(If yes... Jennnifer you're losing your principles)

Seems that there is a strip between missing...
...but it's not that important.

Hm...
Is this the explanation of this scene?
http://www.pasteldefender.com/to%20save ... 20066.html
http://www.pasteldefender.com/to%20save ... 20067.html
Or was it on an other Splay?
(he he he, Ashes was faster!!!)

By the way...
And my own memory isn't the best
http://www.pasteldefender.com/to%20save ... 20241.html
So, and what was the meaning of this?

However, "stand by", that's what I'm always doing.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Plasman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:55 am

Anna wrote:By the way...

Are you sure that's the right strip you're referring to, Anna? Is it the Krawlni you were talking about?
I can imagine that he/she/it has something else to do with this story yet.

It's nice to see the jigsaw pieces fitting together nicely. I can almost guess at what's coming:
<> They discover that they're back on Pho's home plate
<> Pho, Virtue and Ngo somehow get Kaye back into the mover (violently, I'm guessing)
<> Vola runs away during the ruckus, misses the ride back, and spends the rest of her life on a backwater plate :(

Poor Vola. Still, it beats getting a face full of no-more-face...
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Anna » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:48 am

It's only I can not put this scene into my inner puzzle.
these guys are variations, yes I know, and this is the only strip where they appear.
I'm just only wondering why this scene is inside, ok, I had should ask after TSH is finnished.

Sorry for existing myself.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby WarpZone » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:49 am

Woah!

Didn't see that one coming! 0.0
WarpZone
Blueberry Class

Postby Rachel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:04 am

Whoa what a twist! @,@ The last thing I was expecting was for them to exit the mover... and on what looks to be Pho's old splay? Just when you think you've figured out the direction in which things are going (heck, even when you're shown it with two movers crossing each other), Jennifer throws you for a loop.

Plasman wrote:
Anna wrote: <> Vola runs away during the ruckus, misses the ride back, and spends the rest of her life on a backwater plate :(

So this Vola is the same Vola that we saw missing the mover in strips 66 and 67? I just assumed that they were two different Volas. That makes sense though considering the other Vola knew about the other mover being there.
Rachel
Our New Friend

Postby Monocheres » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:25 am

Actually, now that I think about it more, this strip, and the ones I expect to follow soon, were inevitable. What still puzzles me is what Kaye's motivation is to come here. I've got to think that she deliberately picked this exact splay, and used the atma lock to find it again, but why? Clearly she wants to neutralize the threat the others pose, by marooning them in a backward splay. But why not just kill them outright? (Isn't her plan to wipe out all of humanity's existence on Trisylmaistan, anyway?) Why return Pho to his home splay? An act of kindness out of lingering feelings for him? Or does she just want to show him up, and prove her "inhumanity", by committing an act of ... humanity? Or is she just crazy now?

As for the rest ...

Er, I hesitated writing the following paragraph, because I think it's too much of a spoiler. So I'll just obscure it. Read at your own risk! Originally, I spelled it all out in detail, but then reconsidered and scaled it back, leaving hints from which you can draw your own conclusions:

From strip #66, I conclude that Pho will concoct a plan to sneak back into the mover and try to overpower Kaye. The others will join in, but Vola will hesitate out of fear, just long enough for Kaye to subcosmerge the mover and leave Vola behind. The seed for Pho's plan was planted all the way back in Strip #45 (here). That strip may also explain how Virtue will wind up in the very spot he has been trying to avoid. (Notice where he was sleeping in order to stay as far away from that spot as possible.) I suspect Virtue will be fully able to calculate the consequences of Pho's plan, and will need to make a decision. The process by which he reaches that decision will be ... interesting.

[Edit: Oh, I see Plasman already let part of Schroedinger's cat out of the bag...]

[Edit 2: addendum]

Another aspect occurred to me: Recall that when Kaye first met Only, he was instantly hostile to her. From this, we might surmise that Only must have some uncanny instinct that allowed him to detect that Kaye's intentions were not innocent or noble. Or ... maybe ... when Kaye first met Only, maybe it wasn't the first time Only had met Kaye ...

Consider also that we still can't account for all those extra recycler buttons Only acquired. When Only first attacked Kaye, we only saw her land one button on him. Somebody here guessed the others might have come from a bunch of different alternate Kayes that ... somehow ... encountered Only along the way. But maybe they were already there before we saw Only attack her. He already seemed to understand what that "first" recycler button could do. Perhaps our current topless-Kaye-on-the-warpath is about to encounter innocent, unassuming early-Only, and try to overkill him with buttons...

Oh ... maybe that's why she wanted to come back here ... and maybe that's why she needs Pho alive ...

Prevenge ... bait ...

Heh ... Kaye has become Ahab, and that little white jelly has become her great White Whale ...
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Anna wrote:Was this planed by Jennifer?
Or did she made it to make us a pleasure?
(If yes... Jennnifer you're losing your principles)

Seems that there is a strip between missing...
...but it's not that important.

All of this was planned from the earliest part of To Save Her. It has taken me three years - going on four, I think- to get here. It hasn't been easy pacing myself, waiting for so long.

Nothing is missing, as you will see in the next strips. This is just the landing. Now they have to react to it.

By the way...

Here we have the original owners of the Mover which Kaye and company now use. This is the crew that came to current Vola's world, and they are being chased by the Krawlni. Vola had two Movers visit her splay, Kaye's and theirs. Her government was keeping both apart and separate, as a redundant plan - akin to their redundant Mover manufacturing - to try to get around the limitations of the Krawlni.

Here we see an alternate, high tech Mr. Pho (Mr. Phi) an alternate of Texto (Virtue's) old best friend and partner in crime from Unicorn Jelly, Zuxux Usbochs (Zuxu), and a middle aged alternate of our own Wailan Ngo (Wai-Wai, no doubt!) fleeing from the wrath of the Krawli. Missing is their fourth crew member, a male alternate of Kaye that was not able to be revived in their own version of the crash, and a fifth crew member, an executed, murderous version of Texto. A sixth member, not even mentioned, but we can assume must have been aboard (from all of the evidence!) is yet another alternate (or perhaps the same!!!) Only, also missing, presumed dead.

This crew owned, as mentioned, the Mover Kaye and friends now occupy, the Mover they fled Vola's splay in. While this original crew fled, the Krawlni chased them, which gave Kaye's group just enough time to attempt an escape with their Mover. This alternate crew did not intend to be helpful, they did not even know Kaye's group existed. They were just as much in the dark as Kaye and company were. An accidental distraction.

We can assume they are either still stuck on Vola's splay, or that they have managed to escape themselves using either a finished version of the Mover being manufactured on Vola's splay, or, alternatively, Kaye's own Mover, put back together at some point. We could also imagine them rotting in some version of Area 51 on Vola's world, prisoners of the government there, constantly interrogated for information about how Mover technology works.

Indeed, all of these possibilities and more are true, because we are dealing with infinite alternate universes, where all possibilities happen. It's quite mind boggling, which is why I love it so. It makes the dendrites twitch!
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Monocheres » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Question for Jennifer: Is the Krawlni going to play a role in the rest of the story?

Don't answer that! Uh, surprise us ...

It's just that ... on the off-chance you hadn't considered it ... well, it might just add a satisfying touch ... uh, like, in some sort of, um, big climactic scene, say ...
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Monocheres wrote:Question for Jennifer: Is the Krawlni going to play a role in the rest of the story?

Don't answer that! Uh, surprise us ...

It's just that ... on the off-chance you hadn't considered it ... well, it might just add a satisfying touch ... uh, like, in some sort of, um, big climactic scene, say ...

Of course I won't tell you.

Heh.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Plasman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:42 am

Okay, this is Plasman, tipping his virtual hat off to Monocheres, for showing us how to pay attention to the finer details of a story - AND how to share potential plot spoilers with class. :mrgreen:
{sorry for forgetting the spoilertext, btw - even though it's just speculative right now}

*('')*
Just when I thought we'd seen almost all there was to the story, the curtain gets lifted a little more.
I can't wait to see how this ends. Even if the ending sucks. Which it won't. 8)
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monocheres » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:29 am

Jennifer: Is the Krawlni a male or a female?

Just curious ...

If you choose to answer "Yes", I'll understand ...

//]

P.S.: You know, one of my favorite scenes in all of sci-fi is in Aliens, when Ripley dons the forklift suit and takes on the Alien Queen in that epic final battle. There's just something mythic about a heroic human mother-figure, enhanced by the products of human invention and ingenuity, taking on the mother of all inhuman terrors ...

Non-sequitur, huh?
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:48 am

Monocheres wrote:Jennifer: Is the Krawlni a male or a female?

Just curious ...

If you choose to answer "Yes", I'll understand ...

//]

P.S.: You know, one of my favorite scenes in all of sci-fi is in Aliens, when Ripley dons the forklift suit and takes on the Alien Queen in that epic final battle. There's just something mythic about a heroic human mother-figure, enhanced by the products of human invention and ingenuity, taking on the mother of all inhuman terrors ...

Non-sequitur, huh?

I always loved the queen and thought she was really beautiful in an odd sort of way... all of the aliens were. But, really, weren't the humans the aliens? They were the invading species, after all... She was just protecting her brood like any good mother.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Monocheres » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:05 am

SilverFeathers wrote:I always loved the queen and thought she was really beautiful in an odd sort of way... all of the aliens were. But, really, weren't the humans the aliens? They were the invading species, after all... She was just protecting her brood like any good mother.

James Cameron (in script for Aliens) wrote: INSURANCE MAN
(to ECA Rep)
Are there any species like this
'hostile organism' on LV-426?

ECA REP
No. It's a rock. No indigenous
life larger than a simple virus.

Ripley grits her teeth in frustration.

RIPLEY
I told you, it wasn't indigenous.
There was an alien spacecraft there.
A derelict ship. We homed on its
beacon...

This appears to be a first draft of the script. (I found it here.) I seem to recall that, in the final production, Ripley started that last line with something like "Did IQs plummet while I was in cold sleep?"
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:41 am

If you are happily insinuating that I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, thank you. Thank you very much.

Maybe I did miss something, it was a long time since I watched it and I was much younger, but I still felt bad for the hive queen, predatory parasites or not. They did what they do when they find a food/brood source. Propagate. You threaten her eggs and brood, she's going to sting. As are her workers. Now the fact that humans don't have the good sense to stop throwing rocks at the hive is another issue.

I'll admit, though, my tastes run towards most of the movies my friends didn't think were that great, like Dark City and Event Horizon, so maybe it's just my tastes and tendency to cheer for villains anyway that causes my opinion.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Monocheres » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Sorry Silverfeathers, I actually consider you to be very intelligent. I thought you were being deliberately provocative, so I chose to try to get your goat, which was clearly out of line. Meant it to be gently and obliquely chiding but it came out too ham-handed.

I think there was some speculation among fans of the Alien franchise, and possibly confirmed by Ridley Scott himself, that the Alien species did not evolve naturally, but was actually engineered by some unknown (possibly extinct) civilization to be a weapon of war, or perhaps an instrument of terror. An intelligent, adaptable, biomechanical weapon, designed -- with malice aforethought -- to hunt down other intelligent species and destroy them -- and not in any clean, quick way, but by slow and horrible torture. A parasite deliberately created to keep its victims fully and excruciatingly conscious of being parasitized.

We can respect a dangerous predatory natural life-form, such as a shark or a tiger, and even admire the beauty of their "design". We can even feel sympathy for them as endangered species and take steps to conserve them. On another mental plane, we can appreciate a really scary horror flick, and admire the virtuosity of the filmmaker in conceiving and executing a disturbing and creepy horror concept. But, putting oneself within the context of the story, to sympathize with the Aliens or admire them as somehow beautiful seems to be on par with admiring the "beauty" of a pop-up land-mine, or a canister of phosgene, or an iron maiden. That kind of appreciation is a little misplaced, I think.

In the story, I believe Ripley realized all this, in that moment when she was rescuing Newt from the nest, encountered the Queen, and stood her off with a flamethrower. She was able to communicate the message, "Call off your drones, or I'll torch your eggs," and the Queen was able to understand it, and respond. Ripley then had a choice. She could choose to just back away. But she visibly came to a decision, and passed a judgment: These monsters just weren't compatible with the concept "live and let live." To borrow a term from Jennifer, the Aliens were anathematic. So Ripley torched the egg chamber after all. Seems like a sound judgment to me.

Then again, there's a long and hallowed tradition of cheering the villain. As long as it's all in fun, I guess it's harmless. Especially if the "good guys" have flaws, or if there aren't any "good guys" in the first place. I never saw any of the Alien vs. Predator movies, but I bet they offered plenty of fertile ground for that.
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monocheres » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail this thread into an analysis of the Alien franchise. I was just trying to make a broad hint that maybe there's another character in this story, in addition to the Krawlni, who has gone offstage ... at least for the time being ...
Last edited by Monocheres on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Next

Return to To Save Her