TSH #334 • Here

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

TSH #334 • Here

Postby Monocheres » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:28 pm

And Here it is.

Oooo, significant line from Pho: "Or some man like me."

One of two things is going on:

(1) Pho is being just as self-absorbed as Virtue, and moreover he's indulging in narcissitic projection. "It's always been about me, hasn't it Kaye?" He's overlooking the possibility that Kaye may be after prevenge against Only, or she may have some other motivation entirely. He's misinterpreting the situation based on the swash-buckling Romantic mores of his Kahn-ruled alternate. Woman scorned and all that.

(2) Pho is accurately diagnosing Kaye's psychology based on his extensive experience of human(?) nature and has uncannily intuited some dirty laundry in Kaye's past. He's surmising that the reason she wants to wipe out the whole human race is because of some unrequited crush she had on one particular human male, an event that may get covered by an upcoming flashback scene. Woman scorned and all that. (That doesn't seem right to me, and yet why does it ring a bell? ... Gotta go dig through the archive ...)
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Re: TSH #334 • Here

Postby Monocheres » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Monocheres wrote:He's overlooking the possibility that Kaye may be after prevenge against Only

Well, so far he only knows that he is here, in his home splay. He doesn't yet realize that it is no longer now, but back then...
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wizard CaT » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:35 pm

I'm sure Virture has a long life ahead of him.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Mitsukara » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:57 pm

I think Pajama Man would be wise to keep his guard up.

And I have no clue what he means about "some man like me". Hmm...
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Gideon_Wells » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:16 pm

So this is how it happens.

Vola gets left behind. Virtue thinks it wasn't him, so ignores his plan.
Gideon_Wells
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:52 am

Gideon_Wells wrote:So this is how it happens.

Vola gets left behind. Virtue thinks it wasn't him, so ignores his plan.

Yes! .... and no. Yes, this is the inevitable fact of what will happen. Of course. We've been waiting for these exact events for three years.

But... the issue is not what will happen - we've known that ever since we saw Vola race for 'The original Mover', and since we saw the Movers pass through each other - and the issue is not even exactly how, since that really is a matter of easily imagined details.... rather the issue is why.

The usual way to play a time travel inevitability is to concentrate on the weirdness of it happening at all, and how such an event plays out mechanically; I am shooting for a different focus here... I have essentially thrown the fact, and the how away with little fuss, and instead am concentrating on the why, the apparently free motivations that clockwork such a device.

I want to get away from the notion of an inevitable temporal loop event as predestination bending people to action, and instead work with what free people within such an event could possibly think or reason or feel that would lead, seamlessly, to their apparently inevitable action. We already know what is done; it is easy to extrapolate how what is done might happen, but what we do not know is why? What strange free will is it that can yet lead to inevitable future? A perplexing notion.

Is it enough that Virtue thinks he is free? Or in fact does he? Have we witnessed actual relief... or irony? Or is there something more to the circumstances that we apparently have already seen?

If you were faced with inevitable fate, would you accept it? Keep fighting it? Deny it? And if you felt you could not avoid it, how would you meet it?

Better writers than I have addressed these notions -and worse ones too, I would venture- but this is my turn at bat, and while the conceit of time travel may not score me a home run, perhaps, if I am mildly clever, I can get to first base.

And you know I will try to run to second... and third, risk be damned!

It is, after all, my fate.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Plasman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:11 am

Fuchsia Shiro wrote:It's all already done. From OoO's viewpoint.
Is there ever any choice?
Does an infinity of alternate versions of that map mean the same thing as free will?
If all possibilities are already real -
Does free will depend on not knowing?
What if... we're all just... time sculptures?
Is anyone ever really alive?
What...
...are we?
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monocheres » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:05 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:I want to get away from the notion of an inevitable temporal loop event as predestination bending people to action, and instead work with what free people within such an event could possibly think or reason or feel that would lead, seamlessly, to their apparently inevitable action. We already know what is done; it is easy to extrapolate how what is done might happen, but what we do not know is why? What strange free will is it that can yet lead to inevitable future? A perplexing notion.

Here here. That is why I thought that Virtue was going to have to make a decision after fully calculating the consequences, and, since we already know what his decision is going to be, that it would be the process he goes through to reach that decision that would be interesting. He's chosen the name Virtue, after all. Does it really mean anything to him? ...
---
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Return to To Save Her