Death in Tryslmaistan...

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

Death in Tryslmaistan...

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:03 am

I thought I'd put this question over in it's own thread, so...

Original!Vola, being now Jell-O (wouldn't it be fascinating if Krawli had turned her transparent?!)... What would her body do when she went into rigor mortis? Just... shrinky-dink? For that matter, how does rigor work in Tryslmaistan, considering how it works in Mundis? I assume Linovection works on lividity the same way Gravity does on Earth. (Has this been asked before?).

(I'm still mad at myself for not getting a chance to visit Body Works when it went through here a while back. >_< Stupid job. :evil: )
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Re: Death in Tryslmaistan...

Postby RaharuAharu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:01 am

SilverFeathers wrote:I thought I'd put this question over in it's own thread, so...

Original!Vola, being now Jell-O (wouldn't it be fascinating if Krawli had turned her transparent?!)... What would her body do when she went into rigor mortis? Just... shrinky-dink? For that matter, how does rigor work in Tryslmaistan, considering how it works in Mundis? I assume Linovection works on lividity the same way Gravity does on Earth. (Has this been asked before?).

(I'm still mad at myself for not getting a chance to visit Body Works when it went through here a while back. >_< Stupid job. :evil: )

Oh I did! It was fantastic and surreal, My group went in with a bunch a med students I learned alot.

I really enjoyed the life cycle room, where they started out with a tiny dot of a fetus and worked their way up to a full 9 month term infant, It was amazing to see how life works, from the most tiny microscopic speck right up to full macroscopic life.

My other favorite was the study of the circulatory system where in a large block of glass or plastic was the entire ciculatory system down to the most tiny of branches, all perfectly in place, not laying flat but right were it would be in a full grown adult, it was an amazing tree of life.

Reading about this is one thing, to look in a medical book is one thing... to see it all is another thing. Truely fantastic.

All in a all a very good exhibit. @,@
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:39 am

*jealous glare atta alien* Stupid stupid job...

I thought of something else. the brain is a fairly soft organ, and although in a membrane (dura) within the skull, unless set up for a while in formalin or the sort... I wonder how this sort of boneless death would affect it and other internal organs... especially as decomposition, such as it is in that universe, sets in.

Then again, unless it lay her down oh-so-gently after what it did, the trauma her brain would have endured not only being stripped of its protective casing, but hitting the ground with some force (why can I see it just tossing her over it's proverbial shoulder) would probably have either killed her outright, or she would have been rendered unconscious almost instantly from some level of damage due to the protection of the skull being absent. Kind of like one giant subdural hematoma. Well, that's my uneducated guess, at least.

And I wonder if it pulled out the hyroid bone, too. Just a thought.

Yes, I know I'm a morbid little ball of feathers. Sue me. :sweatbead:
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Alfador » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:18 am

I wonder why blood hasn't leaked out, given all the jiggling around Virtue's been doing... there's gotta have been SOME kinda tissue trauma enough to cause a LITTLE leakage.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:27 am

She'd only be leaking if something broke the skin. Her blood pressure's probably dropped close to ambient, since blood is pooling in the cavities left by the bones.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:44 pm

I imagine there should be leaking from the nose and mouth at the least, what with the removal of the nasal/skull bones and the teeth/jawbones.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby RaharuAharu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:47 pm

0-0

Has anyone else on the forums been to body worlds? (worlds not works)

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/exhibition ... tions.html

..!
It is a once in a life time event, I promise you that..

I got to see it at MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) in Tampa.

I got to hold a real human brain and a heart in my hands. CCC
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:57 pm

RaharuAharu wrote:I got to hold a real human brain and a heart in my hands. CCC

I've done that, but it wasn't a plasticized one, it was just one set up in formalin. They took us to a vivisection lab in HS. It was pretty cool. Although I was the only one willing to be hands on when the med student offered. The bodies weren't even all that fresh for them to be squeamish over. Meh.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby RaharuAharu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:06 pm

from the Faq

What is BODY WORLDS?

The BODY WORLDS exhibitions are first-of-their-kind exhibitions through which visitors learn about anatomy, physiology, and health by viewing real human bodies, using an extraordinary process called Plastination a groundbreaking method for specimen preservation invented by Dr. von Hagens in 1977.
Each exhibition features more than 200 real human specimens, including whole-body plastinates, individual organs, organ configurations and transparent body slices. The specimens on display stem from the body donation program that Gunther von Hagens established in 1983.
The exhibitions also allow visitors to see and better understand the long-term impact of diseases, the effects of tobacco consumption and the mechanics of artificial supports such as knees and hips. To date, nearly 25 million people around the world have viewed the BODY WORLDS exhibits.

Who should see BODY WORLDS?

Anyone interested in learning what makes us human. Adults of all ages and children 8 and older will find the exhibits fascinating. Given the nature of the BODY WORLDS exhibits, it is up to the parents, guardians or school staff to decide whether their children are age appropriate to attend BODY WORLDS.

What is the purpose of the exhibitions?

The BODY WORLDS exhibitions aim to educate the public about the inner workings of the human body and show the effects of poor health, good health and lifestyle choices. They are also meant to create interest in and increase knowledge of anatomy and physiology among the public.

What is Plastination?

Invented by scientist and anatomist Dr. Gunther von Hagens in 1977, Plastination is the groundbreaking method of halting decomposition and preserving anatomical specimens for scientific and medical education. Plastination is the process of extracting all bodily fluids and soluble fat from specimens, replacing them through vacuum forced impregnation with reactive resins and elastomers, and then curing them with light, heat, or certain gases, which give the specimens rigidity and permanence.

Why is it important for the public to see these exhibits?

We believe that when people understand more about how the body works and how it can break down, they are more likely to choose healthy and sustainable lifestyles. We also hope it will inspire visitors to learn more about the life sciences. Knowledge about what the human body looks like and how it functions is basic life science information that should be available to everyone.

WARRNING! The Following is a picture from body worlds, if you find the human form offensive please do no view it.
I think its fantastic.

The Juxtaposed Couple, 2006", one of the latest whole body plastinates of Gunther von Hagens, is currently presented in the BODY WORLDS 3 exhibition.

Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:16 pm

SilverFeathers wrote:I imagine there should be leaking from the nose and mouth at the least, what with the removal of the nasal/skull bones and the teeth/jawbones.

Precisely what I was thinking.

RaharuAharu wrote:[Body images]

NEATO!!!
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:26 pm

The one of the blood vessels in the face... all I can think of is... "We'll tear your soul APART!" hey, he looks like Doug Bradley. HE DOES!!!

I wonder if you turned Jello!Vola upside down and shook her...

And we still don't have an answer on rigor! :boggled:
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby draque » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:08 pm

I got a chance to see that exhibit just a few months ago and I thought that it was really wonderful. The bodies were prepared in ways that were tasteful, artistic and wonderfully illustrative of the machine that is the human body. My one concern over it is... it seems that many bodies were taken without the permission of their original owners. I couldn't care less what happens to my body after I bite the big one, but I think it's important to respect the wishes of those who do.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monocheres » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:06 pm

Silverfeathers wrote:They took us to a vivisection lab in HS. It was pretty cool.

Ahem ... uh, don't you mean, a dissection lab? Vivisection is dissection of a body that is still alive. You know, like in pre-Columbian Aztec high schools...
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:46 am

I told you not to tell what goes into a hot dog! Now you've blown everything!!!
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby SilverFeathers » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:01 am

Monocheres wrote:
Silverfeathers wrote:They took us to a vivisection lab in HS. It was pretty cool.

Ahem ... uh, don't you mean, a dissection lab? Vivisection is dissection of a body that is still alive. You know, like in pre-Columbian Aztec high schools...

Freudian slip.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby strange_person » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:55 am

There was a setting I was working on where the Aztecs were a superpower. Rome has them beat for raw industrial capacity, and even the Norse/Iroquois Confederacy (a niche similar to RL third-world countries) manages a better overall standard-of-living, but they've got the best medical technology, and that's exactly why. If you're already used to ripping the still-beating heart out of someone's chest, the idea of reinstalling a different one doesn't seem too bizzare.

Their lack of progress in the ongoing, religiously-motivated war with the Empire of Nippon (sure, both groups worship the sun, but when the issue of the orbital fusion reactor's gender comes up, suddenly it's all "die, heretic!") can be attributed primarily to superior cybernetic technology. At some point, the armor-plating on Jaguar Marines got so thick, they lost buoyancy. So, the engineers started adding more artificial muscle, tuned for swimming, but that just put even more drain on the already-limited oxygen supply. Tanks of compressed air led to slow, painful deaths from aeroembolism; tanks of compressed oxygen, with the relatively-insoluble nitrogen removed, led to somewhat faster deaths from spontaneous ignition. Nobody thought to make proper landing craft, because they're too small for pykrete, and compared to the near-invincible Temple Carriers, other hull materials looked too expensive and too flimsy.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby SilverFeathers » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:57 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:I told you not to tell what goes into a hot dog! Now you've blown everything!!!

Volas. They plump when you cook 'em.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Alikat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:23 am

strange_person wrote:At some point, the armor-plating on Jaguar Marines got so thick, they lost buoyancy. So, the engineers started adding more artificial muscle, tuned for swimming, but that just put even more drain on the already-limited oxygen supply. Tanks of compressed air led to slow, painful deaths from aeroembolism; tanks of compressed oxygen, with the relatively-insoluble nitrogen removed, led to somewhat faster deaths from spontaneous ignition.

Helium. You're WELCOME.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:43 am

Helium caused morale issues.
the test subject wrote:How am I supposed to fight with dignity when my war cry sounds like a wounded ferret, or worse yet, some giggling Siskin?
For some people, "death before dishonor" is more than just alphabetization. The medical-research arm of the Aztec military includes a distressingly large number of such people.

And before you ask, Sif's Kin are a Norse religious organization. Think of this, but with yellow instead of pink, and instead of green, axes.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alfador » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:02 pm

SilverFeathers wrote:
Monocheres wrote:

Freudian slip.

*giggle*
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Next

Return to To Save Her