#236 - Rowrr

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

#236 - Rowrr

Postby marinschild » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:40 am

http://www.pasteldefender.com/to%20save ... 20236.html
To Save Her 236</a> is up. Go take a gander.

Poor alternate selves.
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Re: #236 - Rowrr

Postby Tychomonger » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:00 am

Poor Vola! It's always catch and release for her.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:45 am

Tychomonger wrote:Poor Vola! It's always catch and release for her.

That's why you have to bash 'em over the head before they get away. A little brain damage does wonders for staying power. :kiss:
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Mitsukara » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:57 am

I bet she's filled with confidence about Virtue, between this and the wobbling.

Have to wonder why they were trying to steal the Krawlni ship. It makes perfect sense that it's not Kaye's plan, but... what must've happened to WaiWai and Pho to make them pursue such a course? Or was it Mr. X that they were hanging around with who thought it was a good idea...? Or was there more to why they were on the run than that, perhaps?

I'm wondering if the Texto they picked up had a buddy, giving me a theory who this MrZuzuX fellow might be... I wonder if we'll see.

Vola continues to look especially good for some reason. Perhaps her appearance lends itself to your drawing style easily? Or maybe I just like her looks and underrated that line of thought when I read UJ. :dead: I feel bad for it, but while I remembered her, I didn't really notice her a whole lot in general in UJ... then again, Vola was yet another person who got a short stick in UJ, really, wasn't she? Hmm.

Their car vehicle thingy looks neat, too. Nice big, practical windshield. Why's there a big curve in it on the driver's side though?
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby strange_person » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:12 am

The wreck was a lie.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alikat » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:08 am

Hard to revive someone who dies during vivisection.

Mister X could be a lot of people, maybe Redcloak Millian, or Yasui, or Makineri, or Zuzux, or Sisu Kaukaa Toteutta, or Waismulo, or Arlex.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby marinschild » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:42 am

Alikat wrote:Hard to revive someone who dies during vivisection.

Mister X could be a lot of people, maybe Redcloak Millian, or Yasui, or Makineri, or Zuzux, or Sisu Kaukaa Toteutta, or Waismulo, or Arlex.

I say its Zuzux. A reunion of murdering chums sounds like it could happen.
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Quaeras » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:25 am

I agree Mitsu, Vola does look very good recently. Panel two is awesome. (^^>

Since I'm feeling slow today, I don't really understand what's going on here with the Rowrr. I'm assuming that Vola means that the alternate (escaped) Pho and her (the one talking in this strip) were lovers? Seems the most obvious depiction. I'm just losing track with alternates and pronouns I guess.
Two "Yay"s, one "Hey!" and an essay. Still counting.
Quaeras
100 Post Little Master

Postby Mesocyclone Goddess » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:42 am

The mover for this splay won't have the Oscillation Overthruster, will it? (Or WILL it. I doubt we've heard the last of that device. There must have been more than one Kaye who installed it.) I bet anything it has Only, though.

Is this why the number of splays with splayports is decreasing? A mini-cascade involving harassment (or perceived harassment) of the Krawlni, who proceeds to go on a rampage, or who packs its bags and leaves the splay without revealing its tech? The number of splayports decreased rather earlier... are they unwittingly being made part of a cascade started by some other Kaye altogether? Did some hypothetical group piss the Krawlni off, starting a phenomenon of all the crews imagining that it is after them because they can't see which "them" it is really after, then running into its ship, further enraging it?

If they aren't careful, they could wipe themselves out of existence. No Krawlni, no movers. They have been incredibly careless in what they did to the various splays they've visited, with the exception of Pho's splay, and I'm wondering when or if that will catch up to them.
Mesocyclone Goddess
Our New Friend

Postby Monocheres » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:05 pm

This Vola is very different from the old one. Just as snarky of course. But much more confident. More apt to voice her irritability than to subvocalize it and stew in her juices. I couldn't imagine the old Vola ever managing to have an affair with Pho.

I like this one a lot better. She seems healthier than the old one. The old Vola was like a smoldering volcano, I was waiting in dread for her to explode. I feel less of that dread with this one.

Of course now there's that little complicating new factor to consider: potential love triangle.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:09 pm

Mesocyclone Goddess wrote:The number of splayports decreased rather earlier... are they unwittingly being made part of a cascade started by some other Kaye altogether?

A cascade is like a Standalone Complex. Regardless of who started it, everyone involved things they're in control and none of them actually are.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Volair » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:16 pm

I don't comment much on To Save Her because generally I just let its awesomeness wash over me and feel like arguing over the details won't help my enjoyment any but nonetheless I gotta say...

Freaking ROWRRR!

:mrgreen:
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby Mitsukara » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:54 pm

Of course now there's that little complicating new factor to consider: potential love triangle.

Well, if one were to be overly optimistic- and probably not realistic in light of the hints of future dealings we've been given so far, but who knows?- who's to say a triangle is a problem? It's boggled me that there have been no polyamories (polyamorys? is there a plural for that?) in any of Jennifer's work so far. :)
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Mitsukara wrote:

Well, if one were to be overly optimistic- and probably not realistic in light of the hints of future dealings we've been given so far, but who knows?- who's to say a triangle is a problem? It's boggled me that there have been no polyamories (polyamorys? is there a plural for that?) in any of Jennifer's work so far. :)

I really try to follow the characters, and listen to them, and so far none of the characters in my stories have been enough like me and my family to want to be part of a polyamory. It's just not something they would do, or need. At least as far as I have seen.

The single character closest to me would likely be Lupiko Kazemahou - if any character is close to a Mary-Sue, she would be it. She is clearly visually based on me, at a younger age obviously, and there is no question that Thillia is visually based on Sandi. There's a little bit of Eldenath in Chou, too. But beyond minor physical appearance traits, and one or two personality components (Elde can be robotic sometimes, Sandi is a take-charge kind of person who values honor, and me... I can be a bit of a brazen flustered ditz sometimes), these people in Unicorn Jelly just... aren't folks I am, or that I know. They don't need the same things, or want the same things.

This is even more the case with the characters of Pastel and To Save Her. In these stories, everyone is very different from me and mine, and there is not any correspondence I can see. Physically, Mr. Ngo is probably based on a restaurateur friend our family once knew, and Kaye is based -very vaguely- on a globe-trotting friend of Eldenath's, but... beyond that, I can't tell you where these folks come from.

I can tell you that none of them, so far, is polyamory material.

That is odd, come to think of it.

Maybe someday. It actually would be kind of neat, because then I could draw directly on my own life for relationship stuff. I'll just have to wait for some characters to be akin enough, I guess.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:51 pm

Volair wrote:I don't comment much on To Save Her because generally I just let its awesomeness wash over me and feel like arguing over the details won't help my enjoyment any but nonetheless I gotta say...

Freaking ROWRRR!

:mrgreen:

The word Rowrrr, in this case, was inspired in part by the character of Animala (whose catch-phrase is Rowrr) from The Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra, one of my little favorite movies.

Also, it just kind of seems interesting that unseen alternate Pho, with unseen alternate Kaye gone, might gravitate to new, high-tech Vola, under the circumstances.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Greyman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:52 pm

strange_person wrote:The wreck was a lie.
But somehow I'm not all that surprised.
Quaeras wrote:Since I'm feeling slow today, I don't really understand what's going on here with the Rowrr. I'm assuming that Vola means that the alternate (escaped) Pho and her (the one talking in this strip) were lovers? Seems the most obvious depiction. I'm just losing track with alternates and pronouns I guess.
Yes, that appears the correct interpretation.

Note how nervous it makes our-Pho look; and I suspect we can look forward to a triangular plot complication between new-Vola, our-Pho, and our-Kaye once they leave.
Mesocyclone Goddess wrote:The mover for this splay won't have the Oscillation Overthruster, will it? (Or WILL it. I doubt we've heard the last of that device. There must have been more than one Kaye who installed it.) I bet anything it has Only, though.
I suspect it will. Overthrust Timetravel seems to be involved in reaching these splays.
Mesocyclone Goddess wrote:Is this why the number of splays with splayports is decreasing? A mini-cascade involving harassment (or perceived harassment) of the Krawlni, who proceeds to go on a rampage, or who packs its bags and leaves the splay without revealing its tech? The number of splayports decreased rather earlier...
Earlier, latter, or simultaneous; it's all relative.
Mitsukara wrote:
Well, one complication is that our-Kaye and our-Pho haven't made any overt romantic overtures towards each other. Another is that our-Viola will be morning her-Pho; complicating her feelings towards our-Pho.
Greyman
Welcome, New User!

Postby WarpZone » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:01 am

So, wait. Let me get this straight.

In this universe, Vola is an ass-kicking take-charge leader of human society.

Also in this universe, Vola got laid.

There's bound to be some kind of correlation, here. If only we could tell what it was!

%< + ^v^ = CCC
WarpZone
Blueberry Class

Postby EvilMidnightLurker » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:16 am

...I no longer have any idea at all what's going on. :(

How many splays just intersected? Two? Three? More?! Who was where and when? Lurker confused ???

urbs#3
Surf's up, space ponies -- I'M MAKIN' GRAVY WITHOUT THE LUMPS!!!!!
EvilMidnightLurker
Our New Friend

Postby Tychomonger » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:27 am

Kaye and crew crash landed onto Vola Alpha's home splay. They were revived there. The Krawlni was looking for them, so they (Kaye's crew + Vola Alpha) took refuge in the Krawlni's Mover. They screwed around with the controls, and as a result, the deck of the Mover they were on now opened to a different splay, the home splay of Vola Beta. Vola Prime popped her head out to see if the coast was clear, and was mercilessly deboned and left to die. Out came the rest of the crew to see what had happened, and to their surprise, Vola Beta came running over. It turns out that the Kaye Crew who had crash landed onto this splay had not been so lucky as to all survive.

Is that any clearer now?
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Nick » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:29 am

It was impossible to not turn that panel into a sticker.

Also available in a cub size:

now, it's way past sleep time
(-.-)

P.S.: ZOMG new URBS stickers! YAY!
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Next

Return to To Save Her