#234 - Diaphragm

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

#234 - Diaphragm

Postby Cardboard Box » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:33 pm

http://www.pasteldefender.com/to%20save ... 20234.html
#_#
Oh dear. Now Vola's got two sets of splay-hoppers to worry about, not to mention that corpse Texto's poking.

No doubt fun and hijinks will ensue.
And there's more where that came from!
Cardboard Box
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Re: #234 - Diaphragm

Postby Volair » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 pm

Or as Vola would say.

"Hijinks. Fantastic. I'll get the party hats."
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby SilverFeathers » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:37 pm

Is that an amused/entertained smirk/smile I see...?

The Krawlini would make a great partner in the catering business... Deboning your meat was never so easy! :blush:
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm amazed that Wai got so close to the corpse. And that he's still on two feet. He does look rather unsteady. Seeing this splay's Vola is going to mess him up, unless he's just numbed out from shock. Then it will mess him up later.

I almost hope this Vola gets close enough to the corpse to recognize it. It would induce survival-enabling-panic which the our heroes could use to get the farging fard out of dodge. But really, that's too horrible to wish on her.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby RaharuAharu » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:01 pm

@,@ This one has my brain in knots.

0-0 Strange_Person, and Alikat...I summon you! Explain what has happend here.

Also I love your new Avatar Nick... Mocha Mecha. ^v^
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:35 pm

Imagine a car stuck in a pond. Not just an ordinary liquid-water pond; some kind of freaky laminate pond with alternating layers of water and ice. Humans, and indeed all three-dimensional lifeforms and objects, are like microscopic creatures that can only survive in the border between a layer of water and a layer of ice. The Krawlni is the inhabitant of the car, who (for some reason) can move through ice without disrupting it. The Krawlni has a hard time empathizing with 3-space life, the same way you or I would have a hard time empathizing with bacterial colonies.

Our heroes slid through the half-open car door and started chewing on the controls. As a result, the entire car shifted slightly: the view from inside changed, and the layer of ice inside the flooded passenger compartment of the car no longer corresponds to the same outside layer as it did at the time of entry. This new layer is similar enough to the previous one, to the point of having a corresponding Vola, for much the same reason two adjacent tide pools will tend to have common elements.

The Krawlni saw a 3-space organism emerging from it's vehicle and answered with lethal force, a response not entirely unlike that of a squeamish human upon seeing a cockroach. The lethal force, in this case, was oriented more-or-less perpendicular to the plane in which Vola normally resides. The Krawlni removed her skeleton much the same way that a vegetarian picks pepperoni slices off a pizza.

Does that make more sense?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby SilverFeathers » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:46 pm

Hello, Pizza Hut? I'd like a large pepperoni and green pepper. Hold the Vola. #_@
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby ParryLost » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:16 am

Yayy she's alive! Well... not the original Vola, since that one got snatched up.... but an alternate Vola... who never got in the KrawlOphanim's ship... or... hm.

We know that splays function as 'decks' on the Krawly ship. So... did our team just accidentally use an elevator?

Anyway, this Vola probably couldn't have entered the ship, so I'm guessing she and the other 'alternates' were about to enter it, when the Ophanim saw them, having just finished killing "our" Vola; most of them escaped in the aerocar, but left alternate Vola behind, and she hid... then she went looking to make sure the Ophanim left and came back to see 'our' versions of Kaye + team emerging from the ship?..

Or is there any way to suppose that that's 'our' Vola and somehow the alternate is the one that got killed?.. >_>

Anyway, YAY for Vola! Shush Kaye, how can you NOT like her? ^_^
^v^

EDIT: Wait, never mind, that CAN'T be 'our' Vola! She DIDN'T call the Krawlini "Ophanim..." so... sigh. >.<
~~
Also.
ParryLost
Our New Friend

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:26 am

It could be an alternate Vola, but I doubt it. Although it's a possibility since in the previous strip where she got ganked by our dear Krawly friend, we couldn't see the buildings to know which splay it's on, although I agree their (our?) Vola probably just had a major wrong-place-wrong-time moment, popping out as Audrey II Sr. made it's appearance stage right.

Edit: Wait... are those little bobblies her going inside out or is that the Krawlini's hand/paw?
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Alikat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:39 am

Suddenly, Vegita the Krawlni stops in his tracks while chasing the aerocar. What's that he senses behind him? Why, the power level is incredible! Over NINE THOUSAND!!! IT MUST BE KACKAROT!
!M!
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alikat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:46 am

By the way, while the known Cascade Event surrounding our heroes makes it a near-certainty that this is an alternate of Vola who was babysitting an alternate set of heroes, I harbor a desire for this Vola to be the same Vola, only with her timeline sort of tied in a bow knot around her corpse, as if the Krawlni was rubbing her face in her own droppings. "I'm going to give you some time to think about this and consider just where you went wrong and why I had to take your finger, dattebayo. It's the Yakuza way!" So no matter what she does, where she goes, even that field outside Pho's house on the Khan's splay, eventually she'll wind up in the Krawlni's fist at the appointed time and place. After all, Destiny is a motherfucker.
%/
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Anna » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:24 am

there is a dead Vola, and yes, I'm sad.

Hm, I could bet there's another panel which will never shown to us.
Around a corner, there are skeletons separate from the flesh hulls of our three heroes. so make one team from two.
;]
Oh yes, Kaye would survive it, ahm could survive it, but who knows... :mrgreen:
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 am

Would I be beaten to death with a lump hammer if I commented that boneless-Vola looks like an deflated love doll?
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby RaharuAharu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:49 am

strange_person wrote:Imagine a car stuck in a pond. Not just an ordinary liquid-water pond; some kind of freaky laminate pond with alternating layers of water and ice. Humans, and indeed all three-dimensional lifeforms and objects, are like microscopic creatures that can only survive in the border between a layer of water and a layer of ice. The Krawlni is the inhabitant of the car, who (for some reason) can move through ice without disrupting it. The Krawlni has a hard time empathizing with 3-space life, the same way you or I would have a hard time empathizing with bacterial colonies.

Our heroes slid through the half-open car door and started chewing on the controls. As a result, the entire car shifted slightly: the view from inside changed, and the layer of ice inside the flooded passenger compartment of the car no longer corresponds to the same outside layer as it did at the time of entry. This new layer is similar enough to the previous one, to the point of having a corresponding Vola, for much the same reason two adjacent tide pools will tend to have common elements.

The Krawlni saw a 3-space organism emerging from it's vehicle and answered with lethal force, a response not entirely unlike that of a squeamish human upon seeing a cockroach. The lethal force, in this case, was oriented more-or-less perpendicular to the plane in which Vola normally resides. The Krawlni removed her skeleton much the same way that a vegetarian picks pepperoni slices off a pizza.

Does that make more sense?

0-0 Yes Thank you. So they have in fact used the elevator and exited on to another splay. @,@
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Not the elevator, exactly; they rode the Krawlni's entire ship from one splay to the next.

Imagine a spaceship, like one of the ones from Star Trek, partially embedded in an office building. If someone from thirty-seventh floor of the office building crawls into the space ship through a crack in the hull, and then fiddles around with the sublight engines until they cause the office building to collapse a bit more and the ship to shift downwards, and then when they crawl back out through the same crack to find themselves on the thirty-sixth floor, at what point did they use and elevator?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:59 pm

This was my goal with #234 - Diapghram.

Oh, and by the way, there is a full set of these at
http://www.pasteldefender.com/ujportalpanels.html
for anyone to use.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby meatwhichdreams » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Oh dear chaos, those tables are hi-larious. This is like, Special-Lovely-Jelly-Non-Christy Christmas, what with all the new forum and new toys and new (?) Vola. AHHH HAPPINESS. ^,^
meatwhichdreams
Grape Class

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:25 pm

I still wonder if the McBurger knows what he is doing. Is this all planned in order to defeat the Kit, or is he just a crashed Burger trying to get home? Or maybe he is a pawn himself.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby RaharuAharu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:31 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Image

This was my goal with #234 - Diapghram.

Oh, and by the way, there is a full set of these at
http://www.pasteldefender.com/ujportalpanels.html
for anyone to use.

I think I understand how to read them after looking at the link, but what are portal panels.
@,@
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:45 pm

RaharuAharu wrote:I think I understand how to read them after looking at the link, but what are portal panels.
@,@

Portal panels are from the game Portal, a part of the Orange Box
http://www.whatistheorangebox.com/ from Valve, which also includes the latest Half Life game. (There are five games in the Orange Box)

This is what a panel looks like in-game

Basically, Portal is a first person puzzle game. A... FPP, if you will.

You have no weapons, rather you have a tool, a handheld portal device. The device emits hyperspace portals, which link through a higher dimension. In the game, you are a test subject named Chell Johnson, and your job is to successfully traverse 19 test chambers to test out this portal device. During your test run, you are kept company by the voice of a sapient A.I. named GLaDOS, who is just as nice as can be. At the end of the test, you get cake! It's a wonderful game, and I think arguably one of the three best games of 2007. It also has the best ending song, basically ever.

At the beginning of each test chamber, you will see a panel. When it lights up, it displays a series of icons, some clear, and some greyed out. The greyed out icons are not valid for this room, but the dark, clear icons are clues which indicate hazards or conditions of that test room.

My UJ Portal Panels are useful for stating what you thought was present, or absent, in any given comic. Or at least, that was the idea when I made them. They are also a testimony to my love of the Weighted Companion Cube.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Next

Return to To Save Her