A Flash from Future Past - Alas Poor Vola

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

A Flash from Future Past - Alas Poor Vola

Postby Eldenath de Vilya » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:09 pm

All this talk about Vola, and which Vola, and dead Vola...and maybe, even, a happy Vola has still got me thinking.

In the scene way back when, when our original Kaye's splay team intersected themselves (dead Virtue, and tackling Pho) there was no Vola in sight.....I guess I'm trying to figure out what that might mean. I was feeling so very certain that Vola would become a part of our team, and come with them.

Does this event happen when she's simply not around? Or, does she simply not join the group that we saw intersecting our group's reality?

It does get a bit mind boggling.

And then I'm still on my ponderings of Vola's past. Granted what Anna said, about sometimes someone's personality just is what it is, but I still think nurture and nature both have their play in creating who we are.

I wonder if Vola, if she were to be happy, would find that it is something she can't even face and would deny, or shunt aside as soon as possible. If it's something she'd secretly treasure and deal with, when alone and away from the view of anyone else. Basically, how deep does her armor go, and what can crack it, if anything, and how permanently. Would it change her? I know I started all of this on our last forum, and I apologize for being redundant, but I can't seem to give up on this train of thought quite yet.

Eldenath
Hoishi
Eldenath de Vilya
Our New Friend

Re: A Flash from Future Past - Alas Poor Vola

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:28 pm

As for Vola's history, that's easy enough, at least regarding Unicorn Jelly's Vola.
http://www.unicornjelly.com/dndassorted2.html
Vola Eretse, born on Flame Island to greedy and shallow resort managers, was put to work at a young age attending resort visitors. This made the young Vola very unhappy, as did her shallow and simpleminded sister Horla, her shallow and simpleminded brothers Molu and Pota, and pretty much everything else around her. Vola was not a happy camper.

Being the only truly intelligent member of her family, Vola was scouted at a young age by a Gryranfryll Wiccan Academy Recruiter, and Vola's parents saw this as a way to have a highly paid Healer in the family. Without even a say in the matter, Vola was packed off to Gryranfryll Wabe to become a Wiccan Faction Healer.

The unpleasant and shallow life Vola suffered at the Flame Island resort was soon replaced by the rigid and annoying, overly complicated life of Wiccan Academy. Vola was not a happy camper.

Somehow or another, Vola managed to graduate with top honors, where for the first time in her life, she felt that she could finally be the master of her own destiny. As a Wiccan Healer with a prime degree, Vola understood that she could hope to enjoy her own practice, great social and legal latitude, the ability to afford to ignore her parents, and anyone else who annoyed her, and ultimately to make her life into something decent.

Immediately she managed financing for her own clinic, thanks to her greedy and simple parents, who had amassed a respectable fortune from their resort. Buying a large, multistory, octagonal house that once belonged to a famous past great Healer of Gryranffryl Wabe, Vola began to outfit her new property, finally happy at last.

Two months later, she was forcibly recruited to be the Medical Wiccan for the 'C' ark because apparently, the world was coming to an end.

She probably had a very similar upbringing in the current splay. Same stupid selfish parents, same stupid shallow siblings, and the same forced oppressive education.

edit: I think the event simply happened after (from her perspective) Vola was stranded on Pho's home splay.
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby SilverFeathers » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:02 pm

I've met quite a few people who aren't happy unless they're miserable with something to complain about. Maybe Vola is like that...

I wonder... if she had three wishes, anything at all (except for more wishes) what would she wish for? Or would she be cynical because she was still restricted in her wishing. That even though she could have "anything", "anything" doesn't include more wishes if that's what she wanted, therefore she couldn't truly wish for everything she wanted.

Meh.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:42 pm

SilverFeathers wrote:I've met quite a few people who aren't happy unless they're miserable with something to complain about. Maybe Vola is like that...

I wonder... if she had three wishes, anything at all (except for more wishes) what would she wish for? Or would she be cynical because she was still restricted in her wishing. That even though she could have "anything", "anything" doesn't include more wishes if that's what she wanted, therefore she couldn't truly wish for everything she wanted.

Meh.

If Vola Eretse had three wishes:

1. That people would stop being so demanding and stupid

2. That life would stop being so harsh, arbitrary, boring, and meaningless.

3. That she could figure out how to like herself and be content with something, anything.

That... is Vola.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:27 pm

Well, even if Vola joins the team, she gets screwed over later on. Stranded on some Twin Kai splay. Or whatever those guys were that employed Pho :P
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monocheres » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 pm

Eldenath de Vilya wrote:In the scene way back when, when our original Kaye's splay team intersected themselves (dead Virtue, and tackling Pho) there was no Vola in sight.....

See TSH #200: Tense. In the foreground, there's a bloody trail of foot-prints, possibly female (high-heeled boots?), apparently staggering, with stray drops and streaks of blood everywhere, and at least one bloody hand-print on the ground. Could a severly-injured or dead Vola be laying somewhere out of the frame, in the extreme foreground, but behind Pho's back?
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Nick » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:17 am

How many Volas are they going to go through?!
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:52 am

Nick wrote:How many Volas are they going to go through?!

*EXPLOSION*

Dr. Alchemist: Uh oh! Looks like we're gonna need another Vola!
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wizard CaT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:47 pm

Nick wrote:How many Volas are they going to go through?!

42?
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:08 am

If an infinite number of Volas with typewriters had an infinite amount of time... one of them would eventually write something positive and uplifting.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Anna » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:53 am

SilverFeathers wrote:If an infinite number of Volas with typewriters had an infinite amount of time... one of them would eventually write something positive and uplifting.

Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:03 am

That... was awesome, Anna.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Monocheres » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:57 am

SilverFeathers wrote:If an infinite number of Volas with typewriters had an infinite amount of time... one of them would eventually write something positive and uplifting.

Not. A. Chance.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby InterNutter » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:46 pm

I can resist the compulsion no longer.

"Oh my God! They killed Vola!"
"You bastards!"

::GDR::
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie...
InterNutter
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby strange_person » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:19 pm

Monocheres wrote:

Not. A. Chance.

Maybe if she was, like, heavily drugged, and trying to write with her finger, in somebody else's blood, on some surface that's not very conducive to being written on at all, and then somebody tried to transcribe it, but was holding it upside down…

Or if she was typing on something with a spellchecker, and had her fingers on the wrong keys…

In that case, she might, at least, get credit for having written something which, in fact, had no bearing on her actual intended communication, and which therefore could be uplifting and/or positive.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Wizard CaT » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:58 pm

You do realize that some Vola's are the most cheerful person in their splay right?
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:07 am

Wizard CaT wrote:You do realize that some Vola's are the most cheerful person in their splay right?

*tries to process.... head 'splodes* #_#
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Anna » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:29 am

SilverFeathers wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:You do realize that some Vola's are the most cheerful person in their splay right?

*tries to process.... head 'splodes* #_#

Don't try to hard, Wizard CaT has problem to decide Tryslmaistan and Mundis.
If it all would happened on Mundis he would be right.
;]
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby SilverFeathers » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:35 am

Either that or if Vola were the most cheerful person, at her current rate of snark, the bitter factor on that particular splay would probably cause some kind of space-time anomaly at which point the entire universe would collapse into itself and turn into... a lemon.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby draque » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:45 am

What I'm curious about is how Vola is going to react to seeing her own de-boned body. Honestly I think it's going to end up being something along the lines of "Well that's just great. Wonderful. Do I want to fake my own death? No. Something always happens. People are idiots."
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Next

Return to To Save Her