# 278 • Realization

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

# 278 • Realization

Postby Anna » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:10 am

http://pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20278.html
Kaye on the box looks like a bee-queen.
And she acts like a queen, like one who has something to say, or believe that she has something to say. :wink: :P

But Jennifer, your wednesday/thursday wonder, you should wait until the next wednesday before you remove it. :explode:

And again me, - yes it's me, I'd make a new topic.
Allright the rest if you is sleeping or on the way to your work.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Re: # 278 • Realization

Postby strange_person » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:31 am

Kaye saying "she will die" so emphatically, I can almost hear her following up with "by my own hand, if necessary."
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby draque » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 am

This... spells things out very nicely. Our Kaye is something a bit more malevolent than the others. She's a bit less stable. It would be very interesting if she became the villain of the story.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:33 am

I assume she doesn't mean she'll die due to a large white-life pest popping out of her chest since they seem to have the basilisk-neutralizer goop? Or am I wrong?

And speaking of basilisk neutralizer goop, I suspect Only's about to make an appearance soon... or I could be wrong. :blush:
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wizard CaT » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:29 pm

Mmm long legs… Rwrrr!

uh I mean, oh yea! Insane!
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Skatche » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:58 am

This page is hilarious, and I LOVE where the story seems to be going. I love the fact that we get to follow the one who didn't get the textbook romantic ending, who will more likely than not end up insane and in mortal combat with the would-be romantic interest. Very twisted.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:17 am

Skatche wrote:This page is hilarious, and I LOVE where the story seems to be going. I love the fact that we get to follow the one who didn't get the textbook romantic ending, who will more likely than not end up insane and in mortal combat with the would-be romantic interest. Very twisted.

Long time back, someone, I can't remember who, wrote on the old forum that they would be very unhappy with me if Kaye and Lymcit did the expected, traditional smoochy-smoochy routine, because that would be cheap and cliche. I remember I wrote something to the effect that they should expect more than that out of me. Secretly, I was giggling into my hand, because I knew the future of the story all the way to the end, and that such worry about my writing was utterly, utterly off the mark.

There are only two kinds of stories I find interesting.
One, is a story about a very ordinary person in a very extraordinary situation.

The other is a story about the one exception to the ordinary, the extraordinary person, in whatever kind of situation, ordinary or strange.

The worst kind of story, for me, is the ordinary person in an ordinary situation, who does expected things. I hate average. I find it mean.

Heh.

The worst thing, in my own mind, I could have done was to follow the adventures of an average Kaye, following the average path of all the Kayes, the median example. Even in an extraordinary situation -such as a hyper-cosmological ontology-altering parallel universe cascade phenomena- there is an average path to it. That would be the boring path, for me.

The only path for me would be the one exception, the one deviant within the whole mess. The one Kaye who does not conform, the one strangest Kaye among all the strange Kayes. The odd Kaye out. Win or lose, live or die, happy or tragic, hers is the most interesting possible story.

Or so I think.

I wouldn't take bets, though, on how this story will turn out. If I have done my job very, very well, it will still contain surprises right up to the end. I hope. It's set in concrete, I'm not changing things as I go or anything, so it is possible for someone to reason out the ending... but I am hoping it will not be overly obvious. I want the 'hand-slap of Of Course! How could I not see that?!!' to happen to the reader. That's my hope.

I'm trying, anyway.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Alikat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:16 am

I just wish I could get you to read some of the later Vonnegut novels, Jenny. He taught me a lot about storytelling, that a lot of what is wrong with the world is that we are all trying to behave like the silly characters we created for our stories, that real people aren't neatly divided into significant characters and bit players, that every character is just as important and that no detail is more significant than any other. Perhaps "Breakfast of Champions" or "Jailbird" or even "Bluebeard" would show you a radically different method of storytelling that you could use to your own advantage as a vehicle. They are certainly enjoyable to read.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Return to To Save Her