Silly Putty Logic

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

Silly Putty Logic

Postby draque » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:42 am

Looking at today's comic, something just occurred to me... The amount of material necessary to create all of the structures and buildings that span between worldplates seems like it would take more available material than exists in Trys. Then I remembered the "silly putty" explanation of how hypeversal rain copies chunks of other worlds into Trys. In their post singularity world, were the humano-jellese able to take advantage of that feature of the universe? A universe that lacked any kind of conservation of mass would be very convenient (although energy and mass don't really seem to be equatable in Trys).
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Re: Silly Putty Logic

Postby strange_person » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:01 pm

It could be some material is taken from the various suns and moons, or that the seemingly massive structural elements are actually impossibly thin (since a structure so large has approximately zero weight, it only needs to handle the dynamic stresses of people walking back and forth), or some of both.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby draque » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:14 pm

Weight wouldn't be an issue I don't think, as those structures are massive enough that the anti-linovective forces holding up the worldplates would give a significant amount of support.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Exactly. So, with godlike materials science, and flawless slime fabricators, those inter-plate girders could be hollow tubes with walls thinner than paper and still be strong enough to hold together (at least, until the Min-Yan start throwing around demo charges).
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby draque » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:40 pm

Yeah, I could see that. At the same time, I'm still curious about the whole potential free pseudomass issue I mentioned in the first place... there is clearly not infinite free energy to be had at any moment in Trys, so there would need to be some solution to it.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 pm

If you hollow out the Worldplates, or even reconstruct them entirely as gargantuan buildings, you have enough mass to make all the tubes to connect them you could hope for, especially with those same tubes being essentially long gargantuan buildings, everything mostly empty space, honeycombed with passages, rooms, chambers, and hallways.

This future is the Tryslmaistan equivalent of Dyson Spheres.... the 'Dai-Saan Triangles' that absorb the entire output of Veils to power a super tech civilization. In this age, they can successfully melt down entire Worldplates and remake them from scratch, without risk of Stormfall. They can convert matter to other matter, element to other element. They can manufacture commercial grade spacetime, and weave custom reality. They can definitely import mass, if they wanted to bother. It would just be easier to mine it from the meta-potentiality of the Fertile Void. They can mine the implied potential between universes for matter, energy, and spacetime.

And all of this is so even before considering that these far future HumanoJellese are finally capable of extra-universal travel, and are part of the social and political circles where the Krawlni and others operate, and were even before their Singularity and abandonment of the flesh.

Thus put, equate them to a Mundis far future where, say, Mankind has expanded to fill the galaxies, entire solar systems are regularly melted down to make ultrastructures, travel to other universes is as common as taking a bus, and the upscale neighbors are not advanced aliens from another galaxy, but instead civilizations from posh, custom artificial universes that trade in units of spacetime, exotic supernal memes, and physicalized abstract ideations, and spare change is entire living planets and artificially sapient stars. That equivalent is the future Kaye and company are currently in, crawling like bugs on a long abandoned building of the Tryslmaistan gods.

When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around. The Dai-Saan triangles were old before that museum was built, and that museum is farging ancient. Why isn't it packed solid with ancient, rock-hard Shatterel? Because it isn't getting any Veil energy, and that electanic power being capacitated is what makes Shatterel happen. The sparse Shatterel you see is caused by millennia of faint leakage from the long abandoned Dai-Saan Triangles.

In the time Kaye is in.... she is literally an insect to the people of that time. If you can still call them 'people' in any meaningful sense of the term.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby draque » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:22 pm

Interesting stuff, future histories ^^. Also... It only just now occurred to me the extreme irony of Kaye cursing the future humano-jellese as having "abandoned" them. She's immortal. All she has to do is not die through doing exceedingly stupid things (read: what she is doing) and she gets to be a part of that.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Return to To Save Her