#285 Proposition

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

#285 Proposition

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:39 pm

http://pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20285.html

Wow, can't believe it took this long to get a thread up on this strip.
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Re: #285 Proposition

Postby Monthenor » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:51 pm

Vola wrote:Image

Indeed, Vola. Indeed.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Alikat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:24 pm

LOOT LOOT LOOT! The kill isn't complete in my mind until I've searched the monster's pocketses.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:14 pm

Is it just me, or does this Vola seem a bit more bold than the other Vola's we've seen? The other Volas would have been like "no way. You can go get killed by a post singularity security system if you want. But I'm staying right here where it's safe."
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:43 pm

Ashes wrote:Is it just me, or does this Vola seem a bit more bold than the other Vola's we've seen? The other Volas would have been like "no way. You can go get killed by a post singularity security system if you want. But I'm staying right here where it's safe."

Yes. This Vola is different. Wailan Ngo understood how different right from the start; he mourned the loss of the previous Vola as a unique person. Everyone else just seems to see our new Vola as filling the needed slot of a 'Vola' in the group. Probably only Wailan bothered to get to know previous Vola, likely because he needed help with his gender issues, and she, being a medic, worked to get him the help he needed. Indeed, he has already stated as much.

This Mover, this story, these crewmembers are the odd men out, the unusual versions of their alternate selves, the exceptions to the rule. With infinite variations of these people, my purpose is to follow the exceptional group, the ones who went the farthest, did the most, or were the most exceptional.

Our newest, and final, Vola in the story is the exceptional Vola to the rule. While she still has many of the characteristics of the average Vola, she is not as bitter, not as withdrawn, more willing to embrace the world and her own life than other Volas. Maybe she is still not a miss sunshine -not by any means- but you will note that she alone is not prone to muttering under her breath disparaging things, and she alone is willing to voice opposition, rather than act in sullen resignation when confronted with difficulty or wrongness. For a Vola, she is positively heroic. For a Vola. As Volas go.

But maybe not forever. Vola becomes Vola for a reason beyond mere genes; Volas become what we know also because of bad experiences that turn them sour. Perhaps the essential Vola has a genetic neurological flaw in that she cannot handle stress and disappointment well, and eventually becomes a bitter bitch. If this is true, maybe our more heroic Vola is fated to one day be a normative Vola... but we see her now, in her prime, the exception to the Rule Of Vola.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Volair » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:07 pm

Let us also not forget, this is the Vola that goes:

Rwrrr!

I find it kind of amusing to note that some form of Pho has been involved in something vaguely like romance with some form of every single female member of this crew. :3
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby Ashes » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:05 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:
Ashes wrote:Vola Vola's? Volas.

Vola. Vola. Vola 'Vola'. Vola.

Vola Vola. Vola, Volas. Vola. Vola. Volas.

Vola Vola; Volas. Vola. Vola Vola... Vola.

Thankyou for the insight!
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Alikat » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:43 pm

The old Vola reminded me of the Black Family's house elf in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" with all that rude muttering.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Anna » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:06 pm

Alikat wrote:The old Vola reminded me of the Black Family's house elf in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" with all that rude muttering.

Do you suggest Jennifer should tell Mrs. Rowling that there are copyright matters?
//]

Hm, the page with the topless Kaye, there was no Vola, so they will leave her?
Will Lola stay inside this futuristic old station?
Or was she just "for little girls"?
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Ashes » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:08 pm

Anna wrote:Or was she just "for little girls"?

A lesbian pedophile? Well, that's certainly an interesting theory. The only problem with it is that there are no little girls on the mover.

edit: Maybe Vola found a virtual little girl simulator in the museum!
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby strange_person » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Ashes wrote:there are no little girls on the mover.

Young Ngo was physically female. However, he got that fixed before meeting the current Vola.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Ashes » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:18 pm

I know. We're both reading the same comic.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby strange_person » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:55 pm

I apologize for any accidental insult. I just meant that using the unqualified present tense in reference to a time-traveling vehicle is tricky, at best.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:06 am

The last and current Volas are not pedophiles, lesbian or straight. I know, I am her creatrix after all, and I would tell you if she was.

Wailan mourns for the previous Vola purely because, during the time that Kaye was effectively dead, she bothered to get the local hospital staff involved in correcting his gender problems, and in becoming part of that process, became known to him as a person. She was the only member of the Mover crew that took a direct interest in helping him, and that mattered to Mr. Ngo.

Wailan Ngo is a thoughtful man, and the reality of multiple selves spread across infinite alternate universes raises troubling questions in him about the meaning of personal identity. He sees that the two Volas, though similar in many ways, are yet individual and different people, and the loss of the Vola that helped him is a real loss to him, in that it is the death of someone he knew, not well perhaps, but knew as a person, as an individual.

It has hit him that infinite alternate universe selves does not equal immortality for the individual, because however identical the alternate self may be, it is still singular and alone in all of time and space. The Vola he knew is gone, even though a virtually identical copy fills her space. It bothers him that this is not more of an issue to anyone else but him, even if the last Vola was not particularly likable to anyone, including Wailan himself. The fact that he didn't particularly like her, despite her help, also bothers him - he feels a little guilty about that.

More than this, Wailan cannot shake the knowledge that the Mover he and the others are currently on previously belonged to another Kaye crew, which just might have had another him on board... and even if it did not, other Movers out there certainly do. How many other versions of himself died horribly, just like lost Vola? If he himself died, would the crew just go get another replacement of him from another universe? Would anyone care that he, the unique Wailan he is, was gone if an alternate Wailan, identical in every respect, filled his place?

Wailan is beginning to relate to Mr. Pho as a father figure, and this last question especially bothers him with regard to that feeling. He wonders, privately, if Mr. Pho would actually miss him, whether he matters as a person, or as a role?

Previous Vola's death has shaken Mr. Ngo's sense of meaning to a degree, and in mourning her, he is also mourning his own sense of self importance, as well as the importance of individual consciousness and personality in the universe.

That is what that deal is all about, nothing more or less.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Anna » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:33 am

"for little girls" means TOILET! KLOSETT (german)!
To urinate and more stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet

NO PEDOPHILIA!

Hey you say to make yourself fresh...
And what does it mean?
Fresh?

Du liebe Güte, euer amerikanisches Englisch ist die Hölle!
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Ashes » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:07 pm

//]

I guess I should learn to use stickers more often, to help show when I'm making a joke.
Ashes
Melon Class

Return to To Save Her