#287 - Chomp

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

#287 - Chomp

Postby Alfador » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:33 pm

http://pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20287.html

Sblounskch'd!

Also, anybody else get an "OSNAP" vibe from this? Think about it. If Chou "ascends" and becomes the glowy ghost seen here, what happens to her old body?

Will it dissolve? Re-integrate into the celestial ascended Chou?

Or... will it simply die, her mind having been moved to a more stable area of spacetime? ...Remember, if that happens... something interesting will pop out.

Maybe that's how Kaye loses her bow.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: #287 - Chomp

Postby Zev » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:44 pm

Oh ho! It just gets better and better! Our smug Kay certanly didn't bank on somthing like this. I was starting to worry that things were going to go bad for Chou.

.... I wonder just how simple ascension really can be?
Zev
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby Alikat » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:26 pm

And now you know where oOo came from!
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Volair » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:34 pm

Alfador wrote:Also, anybody else get an "OSNAP" vibe from this? Think about it. If Chou "ascends" and becomes the glowy ghost seen here, what happens to her old body?

Or... will it simply die, her mind having been moved to a more stable area of spacetime? ...Remember, if that happens... something interesting will pop out.

Notice Chou is still around in the future echo seen earlier-- and that's well after Kay's been halfcapitated. I think Chou's going to ~bifurcate~ here :3
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby Wanderer » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:23 am

Alikat wrote:And now you know where oOo came from!

My thoughts exactly. At least I think so...

It would amuse me if the creature we've been calling "the ascended unity of trys" is actually just Chou who was brought in by our crazy Kaye...
Wanderer
Our New Friend

Postby Ambi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:15 am

Wanderer wrote:It would amuse me if the creature we've been calling "the ascended unity of trys" is actually just Chou who was brought in by our crazy Kaye...

And that would mean the same avatar Kaye-Avatar she is creating here will end up calling her a post-singularity pisspot near the end of PDH... you just can't win.
-.-
Ambi
Our New Friend

Postby Monocheres » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:45 pm

Alikat wrote:And now you know where oOo came from!

Well, the crystal crown should have been a dead give-away...
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alfador » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Volair wrote:
Alfador wrote:Also, anybody else get an "OSNAP" vibe from this? Think about it. If Chou "ascends" and becomes the glowy ghost seen here, what happens to her old body?

Notice Chou is still around in the future echo seen earlier-- and that's well after Kay's been halfcapitated. I think Chou's going to ~bifurcate~ here :3

Yeah, I realized that a few hours after I wrote in my initial excitement. Forgot to go back on the forums and amend, though, so it's my own durn fault.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:47 am

Having missed this earlier, I was going to say that more likely the original interface for the CHOU machine inspired OoO's form. The Hell? What is this program doing on an ancient pre-Dyson-technology computer?
I defie all the Quakers in England to match this incomparable piece of Nonsence and Enthusiastick Cant.
Dan
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Postby draque » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:03 pm

Dan wrote:Having missed this earlier, I was going to say that more likely the original interface for the CHOU machine inspired OoO's form. The Hell? What is this program doing on an ancient pre-Dyson-technology computer?

You can access very new information using a very old terminal so long as you have a connection to the Internet. I'm assuming that's what Chou is doing here.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:07 am

draque wrote:
Dan wrote:Having missed this earlier, I was going to say that more likely the original interface for the CHOU machine inspired OoO's form. The Hell? What is this program doing on an ancient pre-Dyson-technology computer?

You can access very new information using a very old terminal so long as you have a connection to the Internet. I'm assuming that's what Chou is doing here.

That's very close.

The Chou 3000 is being used as a 'smart terminal' (as opposed to a dumb one) so that a much more advanced pre-Singularity system can be used. Because of the great difference in tech levels and understanding involved, Kaye's plan is to use an intelligent agent to act as a go-between twixt her level of understanding and the level required to make use of a just-pre-Singularity ultra-computer system. She knows she does not have the smarts, or the knowledge to even log onto such a beast, so she wants to have a machine intelligence do the tough stuff for her and basically act as a genii, granting her wishes.

But to do that, she needs a mind much more capable than her own, one that can act like a computer itself, and swim in the cyberspace of a super-advanced computer just to deal with that, and that is what she has regenerated the original Chou for; to act as a genii to awaken a bigger genii that can in turn make use of an incomprehensibly powerful super-future device... one she could never hope to even begin to understand.

Kaye knows history, she is introduced to us as an archaeologist (see beginning of story). However, being from a truly major Splayport, her history is both future as well as past, and other-universal as well as that of her own universe. Kaye knows what Chou would be capable of, and clearly has brought tech enough to allow a direct brain interface.

In short, this is story that acknowledges that the past -and the future- are different countries, indeed different worlds, and that it would be ridiculous to just pop into a super-advanced future and be able to get anything to work... or even know much about what anything is. This is why Kaye has the plan of using brighter minds (organic and machine) to magnify her capacity and do the real work for her, because it is just impossible for her to be able to do it on her own.

Chou is essentially a living computer, now directly neural-netted into a mega-computer capable of full machine sapience, and charged with the task of slapping together a simple sentient avatar from what is, essentially, a kid's software toy of that time (which Kaye knows about from previous explorers visiting her Splayport over the years). That avatar will then be used to access truly serious systems.

How does Chou know how to do any of this? As we will learn, she has had some basic information downloaded directly into her already, when her brain was first wired up in the tank. All will be explained, in time.

Why all this convoluted crap just so Kaye can log onto a future machine?

I am sick to death of movies and such having programmers tap a few keys randomly and suddenly break through space-alien security, or generate a complex piece of software, or solve some intractable problem, or interface with a totally alien system and so forth. This crap is bullshit... it just isn't that easy, or even possible. I want to show one possible way to get the same result, only in a more believable manner, one that just barely might be acceptable as a method for such success, a way that shows at least a rudimentary understanding of just how bloody complicated a computer, or computer-like, system actually is. Especially an alien or far-future one.

Thus the need for two levels of super-intelligent agents to bridge the almost insurmountable gap of time, universe, and knowledge involved.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Relee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:20 am

Isn't it also annoying how whenever they have a "Computer Hacker" on any kind of media, they sit there typing away like a mad fool?

What the hell are they supposed to be doing? By the time you're actually doing any kind of 'hacking' you've already written your 'oh I'm a super hacker' programs, and you might only need to change small values. You could probably control it with a mouse and a few occasional keypresses. You definately shouldn't be typing random keys all over the place. ^.^;;

I suppose for some people, it's just more impressive when you have someone with like 90wps transcribing an encyclopedia by hand.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby RaharuAharu » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:46 am

What?

She can not just upload a Virus to the mother ship?
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alikat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:09 pm

Only if the Chou3000 is a Mac Powerbook.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Return to To Save Her