#292 - Treasure

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

#292 - Treasure

Postby Tychomonger » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:16 pm

#292 - Treasure

The portability won't be that useful unless they can figure out how to replicate it. But, perhaps they have the ability to copy items whole cloth, circumventing the issue of not understanding how it works. Or maybe I'm underestimating the progress level of these splayports.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Re: #292 - Treasure

Postby Alikat » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:34 pm

Break it in half, expose it to a high-density field of electanic energy, wait for it to grow into two units, rinse, repeat. :D

Actually though, once you've scanned any item in Trys, it can be easily replicated because they have amazing replication tech thanks to the helpful Slimes. Just analyze the scans, assign individual components to different banks of slimes, and you have your millions of Weirding Modules all ready for your Fremen army.

Since much of Trys's manufacturing is done by helpful Slimes, manufacturing stuff that's more advanced than your current tech level is just a matter of really careful copying, but there should be few items of ordinary matter that cannot be replicated by well-trained Slimes working in tandem since they would be useful at any level of tech before Singularity.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alikat » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:27 am

OMG I just thought of something: We've already seen that where Vola winds up, that thing IS "just a brick!" Oh man, looks like we're getting a full day's supply of irony.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Tychomonger » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:38 pm

Oh hey, I didn't notice Only running along the ledge in panels 1 and 2. Go Only!
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby meatwhichdreams » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:45 am

Gah, I must be blind not to see lil' Only motoring along! Lookit him go!
meatwhichdreams
Grape Class

Postby strange_person » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:31 pm

In an anelectanic environment like this, any normal jellese would be starving. Even Kay had to eat. Where's Only been getting food from?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:05 pm

strange_person wrote:In an anelectanic environment like this, any normal jellese would be starving. Even Kay had to eat. Where's Only been getting food from?

That is a very good question. Life cannot even exist for long without an electanic support backpack in the shadowed zone this abandoned museum is sitting in. Yet there goes Only, happy as a clam.

Odd, isn't it?
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby strange_person » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:34 pm

There are power sources other than electanic radiation. For example, a mechanical-engineer friend of mine has a concept for a linovection-powered "waterwheel" which would work, well within what's wrought by slimes in canon. Little glass gears, paddles that flip over once for each trip around the perimeter, such that they're heavier on one side than the other. Produces unlimited kinetic energy, unlimited heat as well.

Within Trys physics, and packed into a universal fabricator, such a power core could be used to achieve horizontal flight at arbitrary velocity and maneuverability, even from a seemingly cold start (the shape of the flask is a clue). An arbitrarily high and steep thermodynamic gradient could also be used to power various metabolic processes, perhaps even (again, in combination with slime 'universal fabricator' physiology) replacing all outside metabolic inputs, which would at least partly explain Only's abilty to be almost totally sensor-invisible even while attacking.

The question is not how it was, is, continues to be done, but rather how a lowly creature managed to wrap it's pseudopods around such a revolutionary idea.
There are few, if any, proper rotary bearings in Trys. The few human-made ones seem to be large, clumsy, and wooden, correspondingly unsuited to either compound gears or high-speed, high-friction applications, never mind the combination of the two.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alikat » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Hello? Lupiko on roller skates? Those little wheels must have been going like a jillion RPM's! I submit to you that someone knows how to make fairly small bearings even on Lupiko's splay, where they still fight with swords. :)
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:10 am

@,@
Of course! How could I have forgotten the rollerskates?

Still, that's an unpowered mechanism, a friction-reducer, like the Alchemist-built carriage that's only landbound for political reasons. The really important part of a hypothetical clockwork limit-breaker isn't the miniaturization, it's the compound mechanism that forces each tab to rotate on it's spoke while the spokes all rotate around a central hub.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alikat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:18 pm

Simple: Put worm-gear teeth around the circumference of the big ring that is the main part of this device, near the edge on the obverse side of the ring. Put another set of gear teeth around the edge, like the milling marks on the edge of a 25-cent piece. Make an axle for the ring to rotate around, with bearings to reduce friction. Attach another ring to the axle the same size as the main ring, with an identical facing set of worm-gear teeth. Set it so that both rings can rotate around the shaft freely, but that both are in their rotation by a worm gear fixed but freely turning at the bottom of the two big rings. Fix the distance between the rings using shaft grooves and retaining rings. Beteen the two large rings, place a series of worm gears with paddles attached between the rings.

If you have geared the big rings properly, and made the worm gear coupling them so that the part controlling one ring is slightly thicker and has a few more teeth than the part controlling the other ring, then the two rings will rotate on the shaft at slightly different rates, and the worm gears trapped between them will therefore rotate VERY slowly. Adjust the paddles so that they are wider on one side of the rings than on the other. Viola! Trys perpetual motion, with no cost but manufacturing an item with very few moving parts.

You can even eliminate the gearing by making the paddles capable of being turned with a small amount of friction, and then install stops that flip the paddles one way at the top of the main ring and the other way at the bottom of the main ring. That eliminates all requirements for gearing at the expense of some friction and wear.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Return to To Save Her