#298 Soul

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

#298 Soul

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:28 pm

Sorry for posting late, everyone. I just plain forgot. I was up until 5 am working on a last LittleBigPlanet level before the beta runs out. The beta levels will be retained, you see. I was doing one based on Dr. Seuss a bit; his architecture is perfect for LittleBigPlanet. Just perfect.

I built this amazing giant articulated crab to threaten that architecture, all moving mechanical legs and hanging antennae. I'm going to make the prizes for that level all the inventions I want to transfer over to the final game on the 21st, you see. The Mecha-Crab will, in effect, be guarding my beta work. If I can finish. If I post it in time. The beta ends in a day or two. Maybe today... I just got up, so I'll have to see. Boo, if so.

Anyway, sorry again for the late post. #_@
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Re: #298 Soul

Postby strange_person » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:33 pm

No more clink, eh? Why, it's almost as if some sort of repair cycle was finishing up.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alikat » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:04 pm

Here is a link for the lazy: http://www.pasteldefender.com/to%20save ... 20298.html

It's looking like maybe she's just going to gun down Virtue to cut down on mass. 8O
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Relee » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:01 pm

So they decided to carry the beta levels over after all? And you're having your creations guarded by a Giant Enemy Crab? Like from real japanese history? Neat.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Zev » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Wait wait wait, forgive me if I sound stupid, but what does she mean, "I could gain an extra day with one less crew"? Why would she need an extra day if she is almost an hour or two away from completion? Why would having one less person buy more time? Unless it would take another day once its done to start the process? :oops:
Zev
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Zev wrote:Wait wait wait, forgive me if I sound stupid, but what does she mean, "I could gain an extra day with one less crew"? Why would she need an extra day if she is almost an hour or two away from completion? Why would having one less person buy more time? Unless it would take another day once its done to start the process? :oops:

The museum is in an electanic dark zone, created by gargantuan Dai-Saan triangles absorbing the entire output of all the local Veils. Veils are like suns are in our universe, they are the source of all life and energy in the Tryslmaistan cosmos. Without the electanic force radiating from the Veils, life will eventually stop, and decay will begin - which is why the museum has cracks and faults and damage to it. Such things naturally heal in Tryslmaistan, over time, because of the entropy-reversing action of electanic energy. This is why the crew must wear electanic back-packs; the packs radiate enough electanic force to keep a person alive. The energy is stored in a battery inside each pack.

There is electanic power, from some source, in the computer room of the museum, perhaps an ancient battery. But Kaye dare not mess with that at all; one mistake and her whole reason for being there is ruined. She'd rather die. Or to be more specific, she'd rather someone else die.

The energy to charge the backpacks comes from the store aboard the Mover, and it is a limited resource. Once it runs out, everyone would die, starved of life-force, and the Mover would become immobile, dead and useless. It takes a lot of electanic energy to keep people alive, and to keep the Mover able to leave. Their time at the museum was very limited, a week or so.

If Kaye found there was a fault with Chou's hacking of the super-future computer, if the current program running were to... say, blue screen, red-ring, or otherwise mess up, then more time would be needed. It could happen - software is always having problems, even far-future software. Kaye knows this. Kaye worries about it... but she also is pretty confident of Chou and her own planning.

Still, it is a concern, and the energy to keep one person alive for a day is significant, and if she did need another day to try again... well, one less crew member would mean that much less drain on the Mover batteries, and more time at the museum... if necessary.

And yes, it takes quite a few hours for Chou's program to hack its way into the very protected system that permits access to the machine that can manipulate extracosmic things. Understandably; that is the power to unmake universes. It must be very well guarded. Very.

Chou is the greatest genius in Tryslmaistan history; this established we can imagine it's been hard even for her.

So really, what Kaye is thinking is... 'if this messes up, I have a backup plan, I can off one or two of my crew, and gain a little extra time to try again. A few more days before I have to leave. Another shot at it.' As it stands, it took too long, and as of this strip, they all have less than a day left to spend there before they absolutely must leave. Half a day, perhaps.

This is why Kaye is thinking these things.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby strange_person » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:04 am

What is it about the hacking process that require's Kaye's continued presence and involvement? Shouldn't it be possible, indeed preferable, to minimize duration of contact with the 'dead zone' by using the intra-splay transport capabilities young Ngo discovered to hop around until either the progress-bar says "done" or there's evidence that something is wrong?

Even if they reenter on the wrong worldplate, the mover's sensor arrays, drones, and other tools seem like they would be up to the task of establishing contact remotely.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Mitsukara » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:06 am

But if you slide early, it screws up the timer and blanks the memory!
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:28 am

strange_person wrote:What is it about the hacking process that require's Kaye's continued presence and involvement? Shouldn't it be possible, indeed preferable, to minimize duration of contact with the 'dead zone' by using the intra-splay transport capabilities young Ngo discovered to hop around until either the progress-bar says "done" or there's evidence that something is wrong?

Even if they reenter on the wrong worldplate, the mover's sensor arrays, drones, and other tools seem like they would be up to the task of establishing contact remotely.

Remember that Kaye's Mover is retrofitted to be able to even get to that museum using an illegal, faulty override device which works by clumsily circumventing the built-in designed-in limitations of the Mover itself. She made it to the museum, yes, but even she cannot be sure of the time period, or which splay version of the museum she is in. If she were to shift, she might not make it back to the same time period where her program was running, and miss out entirely, or have to start over from the beginning.

This is why Wailan is so terribly young, and Pho so very old: she just can't accurately set the time in a given jump. She needs to do this in one go, because she cannot count on her Mover.

She also cannot count on her crew, because she does grasp that they will eventually work things out... at least enough to be a problem. She knows she is limited by four big issues: how long until her crew rebels, the fact that her Mover is undependable, the limit of her batteries in the Mover, and the difficulty of hacking super-future machines through an intermediary level future-tech computing device hooked up to an unwilling, enslaved Chou-in-a-tank. Hopping to safety and then hopping back, or leaping forward a few days or hours is not possible for her. The whole situation is just too messed up for that.

All in all it is amazing she has managed to get this far, and as we have seen, a vast number of other Kayes have fallen in the attempt. She is likely one-in-a-zillion as it is. She may even be the one successful Kaye out of the whole cascade event; the 'perfect storm' Kaye. The one dice-roll, however unlikely, that actually made it.

I mean, think about it... what are the chances of anyone successfully arranging the hacking of one of the most carefully guarded systems of a super-future just shy of Singularity, much less merely getting there undetected in the first place? The very idea is almost impossible. Yet the tiniest, smallest, most minute possibility does exist. If you roll a million dice long enough, eventually they will randomly form Pi to a million decimal places. But sands... the remoteness of that happening...

Not to give anything away, of course.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby strange_person » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:22 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Remember that Kaye's Mover is retrofitted to be able to even get to that museum using an illegal, faulty override device which works by clumsily circumventing the built-in designed-in limitations of the Mover itself.

Yes, but now that she's at the museum, all those limits will be working for her. Remember, back at Wailani's home? They were locked into the splay by a distress beacon, but young Ngo read the *ing manual and pointed out the Mover's intra-splay capabilities, resulting in a jump of only a year and a few thousand miles.

If those portable pseudo-veils are so energy-intensive that disabling one of them would extend the window by a full day, it seems as though being able to skip them entirely and use a flat amount of power (however much is required for the jump) for any arbitrary length-of-calculation would be useful. If they land years before the decryptor began, jump again; if they land on the wrong worldplate, well, that's an opportunity to recharge the Mover with direct feed from the Dai-Saan triangles without endangering the museum.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Mitsukara » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:36 pm

Also, a bit late in light of my insubstantial silly post, and we did know this was coming for a while, but, kinda neat to see Cursor again, even in such a context as this. But hey, speaking of context, this would seem to be Cursor's origin, also :) At least, I'm getting the impression Cursor is more the name of Kaye's hack and not so much part of the system before this.

I presume the icon is a little spare touch by Kaye, for the heck of it. Interesting that it's so... flat, and almost vaguely pixelated here. Perhaps the system adopts it's identity appearance from a simple static image file Kaye drew to decorate the interface?

And the name Cursor, symbolic of Kaye's interfacing with the system- forcefully inserting a cursor to point and click and effectively do her bidding with the system?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm dumb. Explained here: http://pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20284.html

That's just how short my memory is. ^^'
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Return to To Save Her