#303 Fuss

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

#303 Fuss

Postby Alikat » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:58 pm

http://pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20303.html
Muri sent the H-Hold? I seriously doubt it was entirely her idea, at least the Muri on THIS splay. I bet the Krawlni is behind that delivery somehow. It senses how broken the worldline of the Kayes is throughout all Trys splays, and wants to give them the relief that love can bring....
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Re: #303 Fuss

Postby Zev » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:14 am

What if Muri purposely gave Kaywai an H-hold that would malfunction? I don't know much about their relationship as Doctor and patient, but maybe there is sabotage going on here?

Oooor my first thought actually was that this was Muri's way of showing that she actually supported Kaywai's need to be human and female, she just couldn't as a doctor say such a thing... I dunno, something like that. :?
Zev
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby Alikat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:42 am

Some of my bones are crystalline, and they're telling me that this is all about a Unicorn. I'm not quite certain what that means, but the symbols are all laid out: Ascension, Unicorn, Basilisk, Slime, Book, Birthday, Girl, and Time. Another elegant knot of causality emerges. Things were/are/willbe what they willbe/are/were. Nothing ends or begins, they merely change their states. At the pinnacle of Perfect Trys is a Perfect Being. Hyperspace Rain is no accident of nature, it's a "For Rent" sign.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby AMundisGuy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:42 am

Zev wrote:my first thought actually was that this was Muri's way of showing that she actually supported Kaywai's need to be human and female, she just couldn't as a doctor say such a thing...
This was my thought too. Remember, in Unicorn Jelly, it was Muri who originally suggested Kaywai be “a good little girl”. I am taking this at face value, because of that, and because writing a note seem really un-Krawlnish, and because since Kaye never actually found out who sent the H-Hold, it doesn’t make narrative sense to have a note meant as a trick for her. That would be bad writing.
AMundisGuy
Our New Friend

Postby Skatche » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:44 am

Alikat wrote:http://pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20303.html
Muri sent the H-Hold? I seriously doubt it was entirely her idea, at least the Muri on THIS splay. I bet the Krawlni is behind that delivery somehow. It senses how broken the worldline of the Kayes is throughout all Trys splays, and wants to give them the relief that love can bring....

Yes, we've already clearly established in that one panel that Muri is evil, therefore any good must come from someone else.

No shades of gray in this comic, that's for sure.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Alikat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:19 am

I didn't say anything about evil, this splay's Muri thinks that "Boogs" only use H-Holds to get cheap laughs on TV. She wants Kaye to "normalize" both as a "Boog" and as a male, and shipping her an H-Hold as a gift would undo a lot of her work as a therapist.

I'm not sure why you developed such a sarcastic tone regarding my speculation about how the H-Hold got there. This isn't a political argument, it's just speculation about what's happening in the comic. Looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays!
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:51 am

Muri just wants to help Kaye. She won't be there to keep Kaye on the proper path anymore. Sending the H-Hold was the only thing she could do. Also, the ability to disguise yourself as any human sounds like an immeasurably valuable tool in potentially hostile splays.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby strange_person » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:42 am

It's also at least theoretically possible that it was sent by some completely different Muri, from a different splay.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Wic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:16 pm

Im betting the H-Hold has a bomb in it.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Gideon_Wells » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:32 pm

It doesn't need to have been sent by Muri....

All over Kaye has a messed worldline as said. We know one of their crew members will be sent back to Pho's splay just prior to when Kaye and Pho leave.

Missing the note in my first reading, and assuming a slightly ticked of Chou, it would make twisted sense for Chou to give Kaye... all Kayes.... their H-holds in order to to fulfill just enough of the plan to bring her, Chou, to this place so she could have ascended in order to hand out the H-holds.

The malfunctioning was just a small bit of spite from human side to get Kaye back for imprisoning her, Chou, by imprisoning Kaye on an H-hold.

Of course, this was missing the note said "Love and luck, Muri". Could just be Muri expects Kaye to die, and wants Kaye to have at least a little happiness before Kaye's horrible, horrible impending doom in a random savage splay filled by boog eating monsters.
Gideon_Wells
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Postby Skatche » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Alikat wrote:I didn't say anything about evil, this splay's Muri thinks that "Boogs" only use H-Holds to get cheap laughs on TV. She wants Kaye to "normalize" both as a "Boog" and as a male, and shipping her an H-Hold as a gift would undo a lot of her work as a therapist.

I'm not sure why you developed such a sarcastic tone regarding my speculation about how the H-Hold got there. This isn't a political argument, it's just speculation about what's happening in the comic. Looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays!

Mainly I consider myself infinitely clever and like to hear myself talk, or to read myself post anyway.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:46 pm

The H-Hold almost killed Kaye when she used it. Actually, it almost killed her TWICE. First when she touched it, and then when it decided it couldn't hold her hawt humon form and broke down. God knows it is going to made a third attempt when it fixes itself and tries to disengage. And then maybe a fourth if it decides to save her again.

strange_person wrote:It's also at least theoretically possible that it was sent by some completely different Muri, from a different splay.

That's what I thought.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alikat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:05 pm

Wic wrote:Im betting the H-Hold has a bomb in it.

I am fascinated by your theory and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alikat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:10 pm

Skatche wrote:Mainly I consider myself infinitely clever and like to hear myself talk, or to read myself post anyway.

Good luck with that, but I'm just not seeing the clever from here. :lol:
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wic » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:13 am

Alikat wrote:
Wic wrote:Im betting the H-Hold has a bomb in it.

I am fascinated by your theory and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Well, Muri knew Kaye wanted a H-hold more than anything, thus even with her sheer curiosity she'd try it out. If she knew about Kaye's plan, it'd be easy to rig the thing and make it malfunction so it cannot be removed. It could explain why Only attacked Kaye, maybe it knew Kaye is going to blow up and probably take Pho with her.

It doesn't quite explain why Muri just didn't give her a functioning H-Hold, in hopes it'll stray her from her plans now that she has what she wanted. (Or maybe she did and the malfunction is just a honest error and there's no bomb.) I guess she also knew Kaye isn't doing this to herself, but to all the other Kayes too, and we did see an alternative Kaye with a functioning H-Hold in a previous strip and that didn't seem to cancel her ultimate plan.

Now the question is, why it hasn't been blown up yet? Maybe Muri didn't know when Kaye leaves and set the timer to blow off when she has surely left. But then again, all the other alternative Muris would've set a slightly different time, perhaps some of them would set it go off too forward in time when Kaye has already finished her plan. Not to even mention that when you travel through time and space, time itself might get a bit distorted and confusing. I bet Muri is wise enough to take that into account, thus has set it to go off with somekind of catalyst to tigger the bomb. What would it be, and why wasn't it when Kaye stuck Chou's crystal into her head?
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
Wic
Apple Class

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:59 am

Fuss indeed.

Muri cares about KayWai. Muri wants to help KayWai, and within the constraints of her culture, and her educational background, the only thing she can rationally do is to try to get KayWai to conform to the society she must live within. Therapist Muri isn't evil; she really is doing what she honestly believes is the right thing for KayWai.

Within their shared society, Jellese are third-class citizens -'boogs', they are fairly recently released from being slaves, there is apartheid, separate-but-hardly-equal facilities, and token Jellese (like KayeWai) in prominent positions. This is a racist, specieist society, with the humans on the top and the Jellese on the bottom.

KayWai will only get abuse if she tries to live as a human, she would likely get the equivalent of being lynched by Human Supremacists. Muri recognizes that her only hope is to live with 'her own people'... or rather 'his own people', somehow, some way. There is no other option within that society, and Muri knows it. Right or wrong, nice or nasty, that is the fact of things there.

But, if KayWai leaves, by Mover, perhaps there might be a better splay out there, so, when Muri finds out about KayWai's secret arrangements to leave, she shows her true colors: Muri does not try to stop KayWai, does not interfere, does not blow the whistle or cause KayWai any trouble, and instead has an expensive parting gift sent semi-anonymously.... the H-Hold Device, the very thing KayWai wanted most.

That is not evil, that is the act of a person who wants to do better for a favored patient, but -within her society- cannot. If Muri were evil, KayWai would never have been able to even board that Mover, much less do so with an H-Hold on board. We must assume the little taped-on message from Muri is lost when the H-Hold is moved inside. Kaye never learns who sent that gift to her. She will never know just how much Muri actually sympathized with her plight. At least OUR Kaye never did.

Perhaps such knowledge is one of the very things that made the other Kayes willing to back down and retire with their Phos and Phees and Phus and Fohs. Maybe all the average Kaye needs is to truly know even one person really gave an honest damn. Alas, our Kaye never gets the note on the H-Hold.

The H-Hold is not top of the line, but it is not inexpensive - Muri paid a bit for it. It is not Muri's fault the H-Hold does not work right for Kaye; as I have stated many times in the past, the reason is because Kaye is, being a hybrid, much less flexible than the normal Jellese, her outer membrane is much more stiff and less stretchy... which is why she is conical in shape, and not just a flat dome. It is why she does not sprout tentacles all the time like normal Jellese, for her it is an effort. She often merely makes 'mittens', short arms with spatulate pseudo-hands. The H-Hold demands remarkable deformation of the normal Jellese; this is a life-endangering situation for less malleable Kaye. The device just wasn't invented with her in mind. That's all there is to it.

So, in a nutshell:

Muri genuinely cares about Kaye, and wants to help her.
The H-Hold was an honest gift of love and hope to Kaye.
Our Kaye never learns this, though.
The H-Hold was not designed for mutant, hybrid conical Jellese.
Kaye is screwed up because her society is screwed up, and because she is conflicted.
Kaye is conflicted because she both hates and loves both humans and jellese, and feels everything is wrong.
Kaye's dream is to fix the world, and be reborn as a normal Jellese, whatever the cost.
In Kaye's mind this is not evil because humans have no souls.
To Kaye, the soul is genetic memory in sand, which Jellese become if they die.
Humans are copies from earth, but more than this they become dirt, not sand when they die. They have no crystalline souls.
Thus to Kaye, erasing humans has no moral issue.
Yet, Kaye admires humans, wants to be human, and identifies with humans.
This has driven her... a little mad.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Plasman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:19 am

Just a guess, here, Jennifer, but was it also Muri who supplied the "gaudy" women's clothing, or did they accidentally stumble into a second mover at this point?
Because if it's the former, it would kind of make sense... ie. she would assume that Kaye would want to dress up "ultra-feminine", as opposed to regular clothing.

Having said that, Kaye *does* look rather nice in her dress-suit... :kiss:
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alikat » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:16 pm

That's an easy one: The gaudy clothing was from the Mover's common wardrobe. Much like the wardrobe in the Doctor's TARDIS, the wardrobe in the Mover was originally stocked with clothing from its original splay, but as the Mover passed from pilot to pilot and traveled from splay to splay, additional clothing styles got added, and some taken away, until the wardrobe became an extremely eclectic collection of garments.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Zev » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:24 pm

What I'd really like to know is what reason did Kay gave this "Council" for requesting a mover? Was is for historical purposes related to her profession? Also how hard is it usually for a Jellese to even get a mover in this splay? I would think that any Jellese feeling persecuted would want to get out, but the humans would make it hard. But then again since this is all they've ever known, maybe not a whole lot even want or can imagine anything better. Can anyone just walk down to the mover port like an air port and just get one usually? Or is there a lot of screening and paper work? Obviously it differs from splay to splay.

What I love about the idea of Mover travel is the idea that there is always a better splay, something even more amazing then the last... plus I'm the kind of person who would be so into Vanity hopping. But then again theres also always an even worse splay... I was day dreaming the other day of a Jellese mover crew that ended up in a splay where Jellese were tolerated but utterly denied any access to human things. I thought about how horrible that would be to be stuck on a splay where your escape was so close but closed off to you. Ugh, gives me shivers.
Zev
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby Skatche » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:48 pm

Alikat wrote:
Skatche wrote:Good luck with that, but I'm just not seeing the clever from here. :lol:

Look closer.

CLOSER.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Next

Return to To Save Her