To Save Her #307: Repair

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

To Save Her #307: Repair

Postby InterNutter » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:05 pm

The plot thicks!

http://pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20307.html

Looks like Kaye's been hit square in the face [pseudoface?] by good ole Murphy's Law :D And the boys have been smacked in the face by... er... let's call it 'amazement' :D

...has anyone else noticed the lack of backpacks? Is time changing already?
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie...
InterNutter
Kumquat Class Sensei

Re: To Save Her #307: Repair

Postby marinschild » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:37 pm

I have only one thing to say about the reaction of Pho And Virtue: Looking into the face of god will only bring madness, so gaze with caution. :explode:
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:18 pm

InterNutter wrote:
...has anyone else noticed the lack of backpacks? Is time changing already?

Awwww.... shhhiiiiittttttt. I knew I forgot something. God-frikkin-dammit. I have to fix that now. Fargin' backpacks.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Gideon_Wells » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:34 pm

Also, Overide. Is the I just too close to the D or is it really OVERRDE?

Still, that font has me thinking Final Fantasy boss music should suddenly start playing.
Gideon_Wells
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:57 pm

Alright. It's fixed now.

Damn. Such an obvious thing. I really am still buggered from being sick. Forgetting their electanic backpacks. Wowsers, what a silly girl I am.

Oh well. Thanks, Internutter. Good catch.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:59 pm

Gideon_Wells wrote:Also, Overide. Is the I just too close to the D or is it really OVERRDE?

Still, that font has me thinking Final Fantasy boss music should suddenly start playing.

It's the font. It's called "Base 02" or somesuch, and the 'I' is crammed very close to other letters. It's just the way the font is. I'd have to manually plant every letter to fix it - changing the kerning doesn't do a damn useful thing.

When I drew in the backpacks I forgot to draw (Aughhh!), I tried putting a line or two to make those letters stand out. Hopefully it helped a little.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:01 pm

There is an I, it's just super thin.

So, not only is the repair cycle complete, which probably means super pain for Kaye followed by a return to what she is now, but it's in a dark zone with a depleted backpack, and no energy to heal up. Fun times ahead.

Wow, since I wrote that the Creatrix posted twice in the thread. And my post almost died, but I got to hit the back button a bunch and it was saved and I could post it >.>
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Zev » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:25 pm

My guess is that we're gonna see Kay back in her human form http://www.pasteldefender.com/to%20save ... 20029.html and I'm really interested to see how Pho will react to that. Of course its immediately going to malfunction again and won't that just be peachy?

Oh! What if it's Pho's attempt to get the seriously wounded Kay and Vola healed that lands them back on the mover and into the path of their past selves? Oh its just getting so good now! I can't wait till next week! I always think of TSH like one of those old timey shows where they go, "Will our heros make it this time? Tune in next week! And now a word from our sponsor, lucky brand cigarettes "
Zev
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby Alikat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:20 am

Well, now she can writhe in agony for a bit like poor Vola.
Why, O why do all roads lead to Vola-O?
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:22 am

Zev wrote:I always think of TSH like one of those old timey shows where they go, "Will our heros make it this time? Tune in next week! And now a word from our sponsor, lucky brand cigarettes "

"...They're the cigarettes that killed Jennifer's mother!!!"

Well, nearly. She would have died from them in sixteen or so months, but my dad got to her first. He was impatient to get his hands on her money, and desperately afraid that she would still be willing to give any of it to me.

But if he hadn't killed her, the emphysema would have. It was pretty slow and awful. Nasty way to die.

Maybe, minus the violence and terror factor, in a way, after a fashion, my father might have actually done her a kindness. A strange thought. Still; suffocation is always the end of all of us, one way or another. Everyone always ultimately dies of suffocation, of a lack of oxygen to their cells.

whether by the stupidity of smoking, or having their necks wrung like a dish rag.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Skatche » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:03 am

I note that the last time Kaye was fully womanified, her bow fell out. We didn't see how, though - maybe it was violently and painfully expelled? Kaye should perhaps expect a killer headache.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:00 pm

Skatche wrote:I note that the last time Kaye was fully womanified, her bow fell out. We didn't see how, though - maybe it was violently and painfully expelled? Kaye should perhaps expect a killer headache.

It was a traumatic moment getting onto the H-Hold; she is already smeared all over it so there is less violence in a mere 'increase in dermal resolution'.

Although, that said, having her membrane pulled tight to make eyes and nose and mouth, hair and other details really should have popped her bow right out like a zit.

I need her bow there for events...yet to occur. So I am taking a bit of narrative liberty with regard to the realism of how the H-Hold works.

The realism... of how the... H-Hold works. An artificial skeleton, operating using alien physics, on a mutant amoeba. Realism.

OK, then, the science fiction contract between me and my readers. Pseudoverisimilitude.

Ooh! I like that word! Pseudoverisimilitude. Yes.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Everyone always ultimately dies of suffocation, of a lack of oxygen to their cells.

whether by the stupidity of smoking, or having their necks wrung like a dish rag.

What about electrocution? Or sudden solar flares? Can you really count things like a steel rod being lodged into your skull as a suffocation death too?
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:42 pm

In the case of electrocution, it shuts down the heart, which stops blood circulation, which leads to lack of oxygen, yes.

Solar flares (or other intense radiation) and PGS I think are exceptions to the more general rule, in that they involve catastrophic brain damage directly, without a metabolic intermediary.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alfador » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:01 pm

strange_person wrote:In the case of electrocution, it shuts down the heart, which stops blood circulation, which leads to lack of oxygen, yes.

Solar flares (or other intense radiation) and PGS I think are exceptions to the more general rule, in that they involve catastrophic brain damage directly, without a metabolic intermediary.

Enough power (like a lightning bolt, or a jury of your peers) can heat the brain to cooking, killing you faster than the cells can use up what oxygen remains.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:37 pm

To this I would add, as another exception, vaporization by nuclear device. If you become a flash-print on a wall, for example, death cannot be said to be caused by suffocation, but rather by the dispersal of one's component molecules into the super-heated blast wall.

Perhaps I should have said that we always die of suffocation in extraordinary deaths, which is to say deaths that entirely occur without the use of exotic or moderate-to-high technology; 'natural' deaths, such as being stabbed, being clubbed, being hit repeatedly by fist or stone, organ failure, disease, falling from heights, and other such ends which can happen to any animal with a penchant for clambering and a paw that can grasp sharp or blunt, heavy objects.

Naturally death by extreme radiation poisoning, death by laser scalpel, death by conventional explosives and death by strangelet conversion all would not be counted as suffocation deaths, though -of course- death by exposure to vacuum due to airlock mishap would count.

Thus, to be more accurate, all death by conventional means is suffocation, at least until things like strangelet conversion, electrical cindering, and nuclear flash-printing become, well, conventional, rather than exotic or unusual.

And if that happens, I think the discussion of the means of death will no longer be something one has time to actually indulge in.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Alfador » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:53 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:To this I would add, as another exception, vaporization by nuclear device. If you become a flash-print on a wall, for example, death cannot be said to be caused by suffocation, but rather by the dispersal of one's component molecules into the super-heated blast wall.

Perhaps I should have said that we always die of suffocation in extraordinary deaths, which is to say deaths that entirely occur without the use of exotic or moderate-to-high technology; 'natural' deaths, such as being stabbed, being clubbed, being hit repeatedly by fist or stone, organ failure, disease, falling from heights, and other such ends which can happen to any animal with a penchant for clambering and a paw that can grasp sharp or blunt, heavy objects.

Naturally death by extreme radiation poisoning, death by laser scalpel, death by conventional explosives and death by strangelet conversion all would not be counted as suffocation deaths, though -of course- death by exposure to vacuum due to airlock mishap would count.

Thus, to be more accurate, all death by conventional means is suffocation, at least until things like strangelet conversion, electrical cindering, and nuclear flash-printing become, well, conventional, rather than exotic or unusual.

And if that happens, I think the discussion of the means of death will no longer be something one has time to actually indulge in.

What about getting one's head smashed flat with a big rock? Though I suppose then too the individual cells die of suffocation, the mind, the ego disperses when the brain splatters everywhere. Doesn't require a great deal of technology. And I mentioned electric current high enough to cook tissue? Heat from fire could do that too--though you'd probably have to skinny-dip in a lava flow to actually cook yourself faster than smoke inhalation could take you another route. Lava flows are easy enough to find in nature, though.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:09 pm

Even in the case of lava, ash or poisonous gasses will probably get you first.

Causes of death can be expanded to two: suffocation or rapid energy transfer. Strangelet conversion might not be energy transfer, but on the other hand, it might not even be physically possible.

Radiation poisoning and conventional explosives might still involve suffocation; if (as in Chou's case) the brain itself is relatively undamaged by the immediate effects, it is the lack of supporting organs which proves fatal.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Tychomonger » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:07 pm

We need a category for things like strangelet conversion and vacuum metastability events.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:30 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Naturally death by extreme radiation poisoning, death by laser scalpel, death by conventional explosives and death by strangelet conversion all would not be counted as suffocation deaths, though -of course- death by exposure to vacuum due to airlock mishap would count.

*flits in* Would this include death from rapid compression rather than decompression? Or does that count as a psudoform of rapid decompression? What about rapid freezing? Say, being dumped into a vat of liquid gas?

Although I know people who use the dry ice suffocation method for pre-killing (a term that brings the wisdom of the immortal George Carlin to mind) rodents for their reptiles. Small rodents. Anything bigger than a rat, and you're gonna have PROBLEMS.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Next

Return to To Save Her