To Save Her # 317 Mistake

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

To Save Her # 317 Mistake

Postby Anna » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:20 am

http://pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20317.html
(No title given) (fixed. -JDR)

The circle will close...
But I hope for a different action, just to surprise us.
Ok, ok, in Babylon 5 it was funny to get some scenes which are solved a lot of episodes later...

Wait, there is a difference, this mover doesn't move, it's inactive!
(Or did I miss a point again?)
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Re: To Save Her # 317 •

Postby Alikat » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:39 am

Who says the Mover isn't Moving? Vola has had enough time on board to go through a coffin cure. For all we know the Mover is halfway back to its native timeframe.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Re: To Save Her # 317 •

Postby Anna » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:44 am

Allright, I DID miss the point.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Re: To Save Her # 317 Mistake

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:16 am

The Mover hasn't subcosmerged yet. I like to make a fuss about when it leaves and arrives (I am overly proud of the visual effect involved, maybe someday I will try to animate it); it will be clear when that happens. They are still all just sitting there on the upper deck of the museum. Considering that Vola was near death from blood loss, it is reasonable there would be an immediate effort to slap her into the healer.

Additionally, there may be a problem with leaving; we do not yet know if anyone but Kaye knows exactly how to accurately pilot the Mover. Pho certainly does not, and neither does Wailan - the only time he tried to land the Mover using a forced system reset it literally killed everyone onboard.

That leaves Vola (highly unlikely, her splay hadn't even finished building their mover) and Virtue. It is almost certain Virtue cannot pilot the Mover, because he was not allowed near the Splayport on his home splay - we must assume his impatiently murderous counterpart met earlier had a very different life... or just didn't think about the consequences of killing his 'Kaye' off.

That robustly suggests that Kaye is the only one who could pilot the Mover without getting them all killed or worse. It is possible they could try to work out how using manuals, if Kaye has any in her crate, or they can find Mover piloting manuals in some other crate. There is a guide to system use built into the Mover, accessible from both the hold and the command sphere, but the command to access it may be an issue.

They probably aren't going anywhere unless Kaye takes them.

Oh, and on that visual effect of the Mover leaving and arriving? The ground, reality itself, begins to ripple like a stone thrown into a pond, then a gout of black light - not ultraviolet, but rather light that is pitch black - shoots out of a widening hole in the ground. The hole becomes a vast circular pit, the edges of reality falling into it, the ripples spreading wider around it, as more black light streams from the wound in spacetime. The Mover rises up from the hole like a submarine, when the bottom of the Mover meets the bottom of the ground, the flat of the disk of the hole, the hole closes beneath it, the ripples subside, and the process is done.

If any object exists within the space the hole opens upon -which only happens during a malfunction of the matter overlap governor- then the Mover and that object pass through each other like ghosts, but the part of the object that overhangs the hole is sheared off as the overlap happens, the object falling into the void of the intersplay continuum (as we have seen with a certain unicorn statue).

In the dark, the Mover can be seen to ripple with faint plasma-like fire over its surface when subcosmersion happens, something invisible in daylight.

The sound is like winds, waterfalls, the faint hint of a calliope played backwards at an odd speed, and mournful, atonal bagpipe sounds all blended together and overlapping in a eerie sighing rush, followed by a sucking-slamming sound as the hole closes. The black light streams upwards with a soft icy rushing noise, part electric guitar, part old saw played with a bow, with just a hint of harmonica-like wail.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Volair » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Okay now I really really want to hear that sound.

Also: I very much doubt that gun being left there was a mistake, given Pho's tactical awareness. PLOT TWISTS AHOY
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby Plasman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:05 am

I love that first panel.
That shot of Only in the foreground, with Kaye lying behind him, sets the scene up nicely. Good work drawing Only out of focus.

Well done, Creatrix. 8)
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Skatche » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:05 am

Volair wrote:Okay now I really really want to hear that sound.

Also: I very much doubt that gun being left there was a mistake, given Pho's tactical awareness. PLOT TWISTS AHOY

Right, maybe he wants everyone to die.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby RaharuAharu » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:22 am

Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:00 am

Skatche wrote:
Volair wrote:Okay now I really really want to hear that sound.

Right, maybe he wants everyone to die.
Or maybe he set it to 'cinematic stun' while she was out. I mean, everything from their clothes to the H-hold itself is a prop; why not a gun that can be configured to shoot blood squibs?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Skatche » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:23 pm

strange_person wrote:Or maybe he set it to 'cinematic stun' while she was out. I mean, everything from their clothes to the H-hold itself is a prop; why not a gun that can be configured to shoot blood squibs?

Yeah, but why would he do that? How would he do that? He's from a low-tech splay, and he's been busy dragging an unconscious cyborg out of the museum and healing one of his companions.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby NMcCoy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Jellese eyelids?
Monthenor wrote:
strange_person wrote:The underlying problem is that people in sufficiently hostile and/or chaotic circumstances drift back toward the R-type reproduction strategy.
They...collect colored orbs to influence the development of their somewhat-detachable attack pod?
Man, if kids could shoot wave lasers I'd be trying to have one.
NMcCoy
Ready For Fruit School

Postby strange_person » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:22 am

Skatche wrote:
strange_person wrote:Or maybe he set it to 'cinematic stun' while she was out. I mean, everything from their clothes to the H-hold itself is a prop; why not a gun that can be configured to shoot blood squibs?

Yeah, but why would he do that? How would he do that? He's from a low-tech splay, and he's been busy dragging an unconscious cyborg out of the museum and healing one of his companions.
He's also a retired special agent, and weapon UIs tend to be kept as simple as possible.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Skatche » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:00 am

strange_person wrote:He's also a retired special agent, and weapon UIs tend to be kept as simple as possible.

He's a retired special agent from a splay that uses swords. You're suggesting that, within a very short time, a technoprimitive, preoccupied with saving two of his companions, managed to retrofit a ray gun with projectiles which (I suppose) he just happened to have in his pocket or something. He did this so that, when Kaye woke up, she would think she were killing her sometime crew when, in fact, she was not. And then... everyone would have a good laugh? Brilliant plan, for sure.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby strange_person » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:31 am

Not retrofit. I am suggesting that the ray gun may have already included a messy but less-than-lethal alternate-fire mode, activated with a simple switch.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Skatche » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:13 am

Then Kaye can just as easily switch it back. She'll lose, at most, the time it takes her to shoot once and realize her gun's been tampered with, and then press a button or whatever.

I mean, look. Having the beloved main characters rescued by such an improbable contrivance could make some kind of twisted sense. But it would more likely be Disney than Burtolt Brecht, and that would be immensely disappointing. Besides, Mrs Reitz has already told us outright that a bunch of dudes are going to die. I doubt there could be much narrative value in artificially extending their lives a little longer.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 am

The argument that our secret agent from swordtown, Mr. Lymcit Pho, is completely unlikely to even begin to know how to do anything useful with regard to disarming Kaye's horrific high-tech weapon is totally convincing. It is convincing, because it is logical.

Pho couldn't know anything about that gun. It is true that in his splay he was the equivalent of one of the Three Musketeers, he was one of an elite group able to use spring-based projectile technology - the springshooter - a kind of gun / crossbow. But that skill, beyond the understanding of how to aim and how to press a release, pretty much ends there. The understanding would not give him the knowledge to remove the bullets from a Colt .45, much less remove the electanic power node from Kaye's gun; he wouldn't even know where to begin. Given enough time, considering his skills, he could probably work out how to disable anything... breaking things is a universal ability. However, it is unsure whether he could break either the Colt, or Kaye's gun, without accidentally killing himself or causing severe injury. Weapons are inherently unforgiving.

He hasn't had that time in any case; Kaye's gun has come out of the blue, we haven't seen it until now, because she hasn't wanted anyone to know she had it, because she has been playing a very close game until the very end, and if we had seen her gun before now it would have cast great doubts about her, something she has been actively trying to suppress (though if you go back and read the story carefully with our knowledge now, you will see the moments where she slips and gives herself away now and then. I am proud of those). Her gun is an expected thing, considering her ultimate plan, so it should not be a shock, rather it is reasonable that she would have kept it hidden above all else.

So Pho can't have rigged her gun. He also can't fly the Mover; neither can anyone else reasonably - Vola's splay hadn't finished building theirs, Wailan comes from a steampunk splay, and Virtue was deliberately kept from his world's Splayport. All of them are currently sitting in a Mover constantly losing battery power, in the shadow of vast electanic collectors that blot out all life-giving energy, a deadly ground where nothing can live anymore, where electanic packs are needed merely to leave the ship. There is that one room, containing the Chou 3000, that still has power from somewhere, but there is no food, nor water there, it also is a death-trap.

Kaye is a serious problem. Only she can pilot the ship, and she is beyond suicidal; her actual goal all along was to cause a cascade event to shift the balance of splays such that humanity would ultimately be excised from from every version of Tryslmaistan, thanks to a super-science device capable of altering the flow of the multiversal rainstorm that brought humanity in the first place - the result of such change being the erasure of all timelines, including that of her own life. She was willing to annihilate herself - eager to, in fact - in order to achieve her goal. She is driven by the notion that she would be reborn, reincarnated, as a normal Jellese in a human-free Tryslmaistan.

It would be nothing for her to kill them all, including herself, if she thought she was powerless, if she thought that her scheme could never be achieved. The Mover itself is a weapon; she could just order it to shut down and that would kill every one of our cast. Within a few hours. But Chou is still in the tank, the Chou 3000 could, in time, be reset, her goal is not yet impossible. Yet they are stuck in that electanic dead zone, and battery time is running out. There is no time to go fix things, not immediately. But this is a location the Mover now knows. It can return to a variant of it. All it would take is a fully charged Mover and another shot at a close variant of this place and time.

If you were a super secret agent, the James Bond of your splay, even if it was a low-tech splay, and you were dealing with a suicidal villain who held your life, and the lives of all of your compatriots in her hands, and time was running out, and you knew you could not use technology or cute tricks like disarming guns or whatever, what would you use? What tool would you still have left?

Think about how Pho has dealt with her in the past. The answer is there.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Alikat » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:04 pm

She's Jellese. Pho knows all too well how to kill those. If he wanted to, she'd be dead by now. I have little doubt that he can kill Kaye any time he wants to, H-Hold or no, just with his already-existing Spring Shooter, which he has used, no doubt, to kill more Jellese than he would care to count.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:55 pm

No, up 'till now he's been kicking Kaye's shiny, cerulean ass with mind games. She's a lot more human than she'd like to admit, and Pho, like any military officer, is all but defined by his ability to get human minds - friend and foe alike - going the way he wants them to.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alikat » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 am

Remember the design of the Spring Shooter projectile: It's designed to stick through the tough protective membrane around a Jellese, and then it creates a wound that leaks out the precious Whitelife fluid that is the "body" of the Jellese. The way that it sticks inside the wound holds the wound open, and pulling it out is almost impossible because of the barbed design. The only way to survive if you are hit by one and you are a Jellese is to push it all the way inside and hold the wound closed, which is excruciatingly painful, and which does no good at all if the barbs are tipped with a fluid that is poisonous to the Jellese metabolism.

How do you think the Khans managed to eradicate all the Jellese? Well, other than taking advantage of their terrible lack of adaptability, of course....
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:13 am

That dart was designed for use against jellese without fingers. Pho was able to remove such a dart from Uni with little difficulty and no apparent lingering effects.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Next

Return to To Save Her