320 Bested

Kaye Haychold's ambitious plan

320 Bested

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 am

http://www.pasteldefender.com/to%20save%20her%20320.html

Sorry about being late, I just woke up and posted (8:19 AM). Yes, AM.

My sleep schedule has been all messed up; almost certainly it is this damn gradual drug withdrawal from Klonazapam. One of the side effects, along with cramping of muscles and lots of other fun stuff. I couldn't sleep at all for 24 hours straight, then I sleep for 11 hours, just collapsing after dinner. It's wacky crazy-go-nuts stuff.

Anyhoo, the next strip is here, and I am kind of happy with it, I like the nature of the victory here, who won that victory, and that the sacrifice of Only was necessary; without this event they would almost certainly have all been killed by Kaye, either by being shot, or more simply, by being forced at gunpoint to leave the Mover. They would have gone, under the hope that with backpacks and that powered room there would be a chance, however small, that they might find a way to get to one of the livable Worldplates that are not shadowed... it's better than being shot. They wouldn't have made it. I know. Too far, and not enough stuff working in this abandoned sector.

So Pho is a clever man; we know this, he has manipulated Kaye before. But the question remains what is he up to with this, beyond mere survival against a crazy woman? Why did he let her have the gun at all - I mean he must have, he's a freaking Renaissance James Bond? He wouldn't make such an obvious mistake! These questions will be answered next time.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Re: 320 Bested

Postby strange_person » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:07 am

Everybody has weapons. It lets them avoid feeling helpless against a vast and uncaring universe.

If Pho had secured the gun, or smashed it with a rock, Kaye would have just killed them all with her bare hands.
Or recycler tags.
Or a spare gun she had concealed somewhere else.

That's how military strategy works; you push somebody back into a corner, they get tricky. They call out reserves, activate contingency plans, or even just shout "oh well, I'm dead anyway" and scream and charge and somehow by blind luck hit that one weak point.
The way you stop someone is by luring them out into minefields and ambushes, crushing the will to attack you.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Skatche » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:59 am

That... was kind of stupid. Kaye is pretty pathetic for a deranged apocalyptic supervillain.

So, I'd be happy to grant that (as strange_person pointed out) leaving the gun intact was a good strategic move, and that Pho probably realized this - except the whole plan hinged on Only getting recycled, and there's no way Pho deliberately sacrificed Only. I don't think he even knew about the recycler system, let alone that Only had been tagged with a button.

Had this not occurred, letting Kaye keep her gun would have turned out to be a really idiotic move. And since Pho didn't know it would occur, his decision remains an idiotic one.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby strange_person » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:45 pm

This specific version of the plan took advantage of Only having just been recycled. Pho had no way of knowing that would happen.

He could, however, have known that letting Kaye keep the gun would make her more confident, and that confidence would leave her vulnerable to parley and manipulation.

Perfect strategy is not a single flawless genius plan; part of it is knowing how to find and use opportunities, think on your feet.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Skatche » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:16 pm

strange_person wrote:This specific version of the plan took advantage of Only having just been recycled. Pho had no way of knowing that would happen.

He could, however, have known that letting Kaye keep the gun would make her more confident, and that confidence would leave her vulnerable to parley and manipulation.

Perfect strategy is not a single flawless genius plan; part of it is knowing how to find and use opportunities, think on your feet.

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:...the sacrifice of Only was necessary; without this event they would almost certainly have all been killed by Kaye, either by being shot, or more simply, by being forced at gunpoint to leave the Mover. They would have gone, under the hope that with backpacks and that powered room there would be a chance, however small, that they might find a way to get to one of the livable Worldplates that are not shadowed... it's better than being shot. They wouldn't have made it. I know. Too far, and not enough stuff working in this abandoned sector.

She said it, it's canon.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby strange_person » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:35 pm

The Creatrix knows it was necessary, but Pho might not have.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Skatche » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:56 pm

strange_person wrote:The Creatrix knows it was necessary, but Pho might not have.

So then he thought a plan that would almost certainly get them killed was a good idea. Which is stupid. Like I said.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby marinschild » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Skatche wrote:
strange_person wrote:The Creatrix knows it was necessary, but Pho might not have.

So then he thought a plan that would almost certainly get them killed was a good idea. Which is stupid. Like I said.

Well one could argue that a plan that would almost certainly get them killed would be better than being dropped off in an alien splay where there is even less of a chance for survival.
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Skatche » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:38 pm

marinschild wrote:
Skatche wrote:

Well one could argue that a plan that would almost certainly get them killed would be better than being dropped off in an alien splay where there is even less of a chance for survival.

They've got the mover. Don't know how to operate it? Just ask Chou. She's got internet access, she can look this stuff up.
Skatche
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 pm

I know things Pho does not, cannot know. So my statement is not canon, because it is just my viewpoint, not story.

Yes. I actually acknowledge theory of mind with regard to my characters, as if they were real people. Scary, ain't it?

The next strips deal with Pho's reasoning regarding all of this, after them, then judge whether he was stupid, or brilliant. Or just doing what he could under the circumstances.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Plasman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:41 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Yes. I actually acknowledge theory of mind with regard to my characters, as if they were real people. Scary, ain't it?

But isn't that what you're supposed to do with your characters when storytelling? I know you said that KayWai and Texto were based on fragments of your personality, but good characters are meant to be driven by their own means, not solely those of the author. What you've done is fine, so far - I just can't wait until this Friday to find out more!

Also, I know you've mentioned this somewhere else (maybe), but what are your regular sleeping hours, exactly? I can tell you that mine are really screwy, thanks to working irregular shifts and playing Internet too much. I hope you're not getting too worn out, is all...
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:13 am

Plasman wrote:Also, I know you've mentioned this somewhere else (maybe), but what are your regular sleeping hours, exactly? I can tell you that mine are really screwy, thanks to working irregular shifts and playing Internet too much. I hope you're not getting too worn out, is all...

For a decade or two, my sleeping hours were very consistent; wake at noon, stay up until 3 or 4 AM, and sleep.

Just before my heart attack, my sleeping schedule started to drift, and I found my bed time later and later, until it was not uncommon for me to go to sleep at 6 AM.

After that event, I have a terror of 6 AM, the exact hour of my attack, and have struggled to sleep before that time. It hasn't been easy; I don't get sleepy. But I've tried to make my old schedule work.

Now, trying to get off these damn pills, my schedule has gone completely insane. I can't sleep for 24 hours no matter what, then I crash for 11 hours. Then I think things are fine, and I crash around 10 PM and sleep until 5 AM, where I wake up completely, and am stuck with a morning I have never been able to deal with (I have been a night person almost my entire life). Everything is fucked now, sleep-wise.

I don't know what more to do. I've tried resetting my circadian rhythm by looking at the sunrise... well, at the perpetual gray blanket that dimly glows over Olympia. The sun is out there somewhere, surely.

I've tried warm macha, I've tried using a snack to make me sleepy at the right time, I've tried baths and relaxation techniques.

My mind races and no sleep comes. Except for the crashing early, of course, previously mentioned. Then I just can't stay awake. Like yesterday-today. I've been up since 4 AM, I crashed at around 10 PM. It's difficult.

I want to not have to walk around in a drug-induced stupor, I want to have my keen mind back. I want to avoid the risk of cancer recently found with regard to Klonazapam. But damn... trying to get off of this medication is apparently very, very rough. This sleep thing is just a real problem.

My sleep schedule? Insane. It's currently insane.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Return to To Save Her