Takozushi Watch Aug 24th!

Wisdom of the Squidipus Sage

Re: Takozushi Watch Aug 24th!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:16 pm

Anna wrote:???
How did you programing your PC games?

I did game design, game art, sound effects, and writing, as well as interface design, Stephen did the programming.

Stephen loves programming, but is lost on the things I do, and vice versa. That's how.

Division of labor.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Plasman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Speaking of, I remember reading somewhere (possibly within the actual game itself) about how Boppin' was supposed to be a "light" project for Stephen, ie. something done between more intensive jobs, but it turned out to be far more complicated and time-consuming than he expected. :P
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:I did game design, game art, sound effects, and writing, as well as interface design, Stephen did the programming.

Stephen loves programming, but is lost on the things I do, and vice versa. That's how.

Division of labor.

My wife Ginny and I are the same way. I'm the programmer. She's the artist. We each suck at the other. (She can't stand math. I can't get proportions right to save my life.)
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Wizard CaT » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:
Alfador wrote:As it is, the forum topbar shows 3/4ths of Chou and Uni at the far right on my gargantuan widescreen.

Zombie Jesus.

I made that Chou and Uni bar to be beyond anything I can actually see at one time. The Takozushi site is likewise beyond my screen capability at 1440 across. I can't even set my screen that high; I did it for Stephen who has a fancier monitor than me.

If I make things any bigger, they will rapidly exceed 200K in size, which is the largest object I have allowed myself, due to trying to make it possible for folks with slower connections to be able to see the site at all. As it is, Takozushi presents problems for Anna in Germany, and I am trying to shrink things to make it easier for her and others.

It is problematic.

FYI, my girlfriend just got a new laptop, and in native resolution the banner goes out to show Unicorn Jelly a second time.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alfador » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:14 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:
Anna wrote:Ahm, Jennifer, would you be so kindly and change on the standard background from black into a kind of grey or grey blue or so,
getting a black page is a bit... hm, shocking? frightening? wondering? strange?

I have made the background the dominant color of the page now, in the case of the bike, the sky. Tell me what you think.

THAT's much BETTER! Thanks!!! *hug*
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:06 am

Bringing back an old thread...
http://takozushi.com/Jan_23.html
Jennifer wrote:The menu system for the site, which I thought so clever, is hard to use - I caught myself preferring the menu proper to the candy in the tray. I have relented and added links within the menu itself. The candy looks nice - beautiful, even, but it is impractical from a web design standpoint. Damn.

;] That's OK. If you make both the candy and the menu clickable links, you'll preserve the original idea and make it intuitive for the casual viewer. I myself like clicking on candy. :P

My monitor is limited to a maximum resolution of 1280 X 768; the upshot of this is that I cannot know what the website looks like to others with higher resolutions - at least until I check someone elses' monitor. Which, when done, reveals my artsy-fartsy design crammed into one corner of the screen.

I think a few of the other forumites noticed this, but I honestly don't think it matters much. Does anything appear in the leftover space, or is it just black? If re-centering or stretching buggers up the arrangement too much, just leave it as is.

Absolute positioning is gorgeous, yes, but not if the monitor is at a higher resolution than the original design. Damn, again.

Like I said, never mind. Such is the balance between function and form. I think it looks fine this way, but I'm not using a mega huge monitor at the moment. 1440x900 is the resolution of the one I'm at right now, and it all shows up fine.

EDIT: Jennifer, feel free to reread the other stuff in this thread for other ideas on what to do. And I know I'm stating the obvious here, but stop worrying, everything is working much better than you realise. 8)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby masstreble » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:26 am

I'm on this 18000x26000x9000vx monitor and everything is all in these little flat sheets. None of it is vectorized, too, so I had to pull the whole projected space forward so I could see anything. It was either that or lean into the projected area and stuck my face up against it, which is much less ergonomic, obviously. Kind of fun, though, because of how everything wiggles when you touch it. (I enable physics on floaters.)

Wait. Hold it. 2010? Ooooops, I misread that as 2070 because of my font. o_0() Whooooops.

*cough*investinwindenergy*cough*
masstreble
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby Plasman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:35 am

8O

:?

:pout:

;]
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Ashes » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:54 pm

masstreble wrote:I'm on this 18000x26000x9000vx monitor and everything is all in these little flat sheets. None of it is vectorized, too, so I had to pull the whole projected space forward so I could see anything. It was either that or lean into the projected area and stuck my face up against it, which is much less ergonomic, obviously. Kind of fun, though, because of how everything wiggles when you touch it. (I enable physics on floaters.)

Wait. Hold it. 2010? Ooooops, I misread that as 2070 because of my font. o_0() Whooooops.

*cough*investinwindenergy*cough*

That was awesome.

(^^> *?!
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Alfador » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Plasman wrote:Bringing back an old thread...
http://takozushi.com/Jan_23.html
Jennifer wrote:The menu system for the site, which I thought so clever, is hard to use - I caught myself preferring the menu proper to the candy in the tray. I have relented and added links within the menu itself. The candy looks nice - beautiful, even, but it is impractical from a web design standpoint. Damn.

;] That's OK. If you make both the candy and the menu clickable links, you'll preserve the original idea and make it intuitive for the casual viewer. I myself like clicking on candy. :P

My monitor is limited to a maximum resolution of 1280 X 768; the upshot of this is that I cannot know what the website looks like to others with higher resolutions - at least until I check someone elses' monitor. Which, when done, reveals my artsy-fartsy design crammed into one corner of the screen.

I think a few of the other forumites noticed this, but I honestly don't think it matters much. Does anything appear in the leftover space, or is it just black? If re-centering or stretching buggers up the arrangement too much, just leave it as is.

Absolute positioning is gorgeous, yes, but not if the monitor is at a higher resolution than the original design. Damn, again.

Like I said, never mind. Such is the balance between function and form. I think it looks fine this way, but I'm not using a mega huge monitor at the moment. 1440x900 is the resolution of the one I'm at right now, and it all shows up fine.

EDIT: Jennifer, feel free to reread the other stuff in this thread for other ideas on what to do. And I know I'm stating the obvious here, but stop worrying, everything is working much better than you realise. 8)

It actually used to be black... or white, I forget, in the space to the right of the design on my monitor. Since then, though, Jennifer changed it so the background color on each page matches the right side of the background image pretty well, so it's not as intrusive as a black void, and FAR less intrusive than tiling the image (like what happens with the banner at the top of the forums). My resolution, for reference, is 1680x1050 and I run Firefox maximized but not fullscreen, so the viewable area is closer to 1664x868.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Previous

Return to The Legend Of Ika Takozushi