00T - The Legend of Ika Takozushi

Wisdom of the Squidipus Sage

00T - The Legend of Ika Takozushi

Postby Alfador » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:27 am

http://takozushi.com/TakoTitle.html

Interestingly, this bears the date of the 27th, indicating it was supposed to be posted Wednesday. Yet here it is already. I'm not complaining: epic-looking squidipus is awesome to behold.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: 00T - The Legend of Ika Takozushi

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:37 am

It got updated early as part of my struggle to get the RSS feed to work properly. I don't know what went wrong with it.

Anybody with RSS, could you see if Takozushi Squidline is working for you now? You might have to resubscribe... I haven't a clue here. It seems to be working for me, as far as I can tell.

RSS is tricky for me.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby mwchase » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:17 am

Weird... Google Reader isn't registering any difference, but Mail only seems to see today's entry, as opposed to the other three. I think the moral is that technology can be sucky.

(Out of curiosity, how are you powering your RSS?)
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:38 pm

mwchase wrote:Weird... Google Reader isn't registering any difference, but Mail only seems to see today's entry, as opposed to the other three. I think the moral is that technology can be sucky.

(Out of curiosity, how are you powering your RSS?)

I've been working with a new HTML program, called WYSIWYG http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/ which I thought I would try. I've been using WebExpress for years, its no longer supported, and the code is pretty shabby (or so I am told) - though it does get the job done for a shlub like me who is FAIL with web coding by hand.

WYSIWYG has RSS built in as a simple drag-and-drop feature when building a website. My first effort, when I started months ago on teh Tako site worked instantly. But when I recently started working on the site again, the RSS just... stopped. I couldn't get it to work again.

My solution was to delete the previous RSS icon from my site, and drag on a new one, name it the same 'Takozushi Squidline', and put in a new post. The previous posts were, obviously, lost.

Right now, I feel like the Wizard from Oz "I don't know how it works! Goodbye, everybody!"

At least it seems to be working again, even if I don't know why.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby masstreble » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Yeah, RSS is a nightmare. There's even multiple things called RSS. That's why I try to stick to ATOM for feeds. More reliable, less borky, even if it supposedly has less features than RSS 2.0? In this case, I think I'm going to just use the forum to keep on when it updates. Alfador is my subscription method. It has the advantages over RSS. More arfy and waggy. It says so in the specs.
masstreble
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby mwchase » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Chrome renders the feed in a somewhat human-readable form, which is downright odd for feeds. Don't know what to say. I mean, I've got some unfounded speculation, but I don't know where to go from there (so I won't waste your time with stuff that has no real reason to be correct).

I wasn't aware that it's possible/sensible to use rss with a manually-updated site.
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Alfador » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:01 am

masstreble wrote:Yeah, RSS is a nightmare. There's even multiple things called RSS. That's why I try to stick to ATOM for feeds. More reliable, less borky, even if it supposedly has less features than RSS 2.0? In this case, I think I'm going to just use the forum to keep on when it updates. Alfador is my subscription method. It has the advantages over RSS. More arfy and waggy. It says so in the specs.

ARF! *wagwagwag*
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:04 pm

mwchase wrote:I wasn't aware that it's possible/sensible to use rss with a manually-updated site.

Possible, apparently. Sensible? ...I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Then again, sensible isn't really something overly associated with me, so...
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby mwchase » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:17 am

Speaking of which, and I hope you don't take offense to this: the html I looked at just now, while more up-to-date, is frightening in its implications. How do you handle manually laying everything out in a repetitive pattern like that? Or is the urge to automate things that can be automated something you don't feel as strongly?

(No matter how much people rail against tables, I think they'd actually be totally justified in this case.)

To rephrase what's bothering me: your html will have a multitude of degrees of freedom that it will have no reason to express. Extra degrees of freedom = hairs stand up on back of my neck. Constraining predictable degrees of freedom is machine work, nowadays.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Ejia » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:36 am

Alfador wrote:
masstreble wrote:Yeah, RSS is a nightmare. There's even multiple things called RSS. That's why I try to stick to ATOM for feeds. More reliable, less borky, even if it supposedly has less features than RSS 2.0? In this case, I think I'm going to just use the forum to keep on when it updates. Alfador is my subscription method. It has the advantages over RSS. More arfy and waggy. It says so in the specs.

ARF! *wagwagwag*

Forget flashy, technology should be fluffier and eminently pettable.
This space for rent
Disclaimer: Space not actually for rent. Side effects of space include dizziness, nausea, mild diarrhea, hair loss, and/or ascent to a higher plane of existence.
Ejia
Blueberry Class

Postby mwchase » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:59 am

Ejia wrote:technology should be fluffier and eminently pettable.

What, you mean like, iPod cozies? (Thought: if anybody makes an iPad cozy, it should be stereotypically emo, because nobody loves it.)

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby masstreble » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:43 am

Ejia wrote:Forget flashy, technology should be fluffier and eminently pettable.

We have the money; we have the technology.

Anyhow. Yeah. I've been eye-balling the mess of tables that permeates the Jenniverse sites with pity and terror for about eight years. I'm not a web-do-ey person, but if somebody around here is good with CSS, and our hostess is amiable to the prospect, we could have something that looks the same, is more functionable, smaller, cleaner, and doesn't cause your browser to LAAAAAAAAAG like it does now. At least with TLoIT, anyhow, we don't have to go tearing up PDH and UJ. Think of all the saved bandwidth. C'mon. C'mooooon. Make~over~&hearts

(Oh, great. I'm living up to the serpent stereotype here.)
masstreble
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby Ashes » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Ejia wrote:
Alfador wrote:
masstreble wrote:Alfador is my subscription method. It has the advantages over RSS. More arfy and waggy. It says so in the specs.

ARF! *wagwagwag*

Forget flashy, technology should be fluffier and eminently pettable.

Like a Chumby? It's a plushy information appliance. A cuddly connectivity gadget. A huggable widget machine.
http://gizmodo.com/359388/hands-on-chum ... s-than-one
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby mwchase » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:52 am

Well, I'm not going to complain anymore, because it looks like the magical feed gremlins have decided to let up.

Well, I'll still complain about the html. Scary scary stuffs, for serious. (Note that I'm only talking about the archive page, because that's what I've looked at.)

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Plasman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:11 am

mwchase wrote:Well, I'll still complain about the html. Scary scary stuffs, for serious. (Note that I'm only talking about the archive page, because that's what I've looked at.)

Meh. Whatever works. I think what's important is that Jennifer can use it in a way that she is comfortable with, and that presents the way she wants it to. Whether or not it's held together with duct tape on the back is irrelevant. And don't forget, as has been previously discussed, Jen Don't Do Code Very Well, so it's best if she works with what she can.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to The Legend Of Ika Takozushi