We Fear the New

Wisdom of the Squidipus Sage

We Fear the New

Postby ParryLost » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:54 pm

I would like to open the floor to wild speculation about this new project, which may or may not conflict with things JDR has already stated about it.

I personally believe it will be the story of a giant robot that breaks into an Asian art museum, and steals a world-famous painting of an octopus and a piggy. It does this because its power reactor is driven entirely by the creative energy encapsulated in great works of art. However, at night, as the giant robot enters sleep mode, the octopus and piggy in the painting come to life, and have philosophical discussions which slowly subconsciously change the robot's perspective on morality and the universe. As a result, it eventually realizes that stealing art is wrong, and sacrifices its life to return the painting to its rightful place, but only after saving Earth from an invading army of superficially similar, but distinct giant robots that are powered solely by the energies of capitalist greed and boring, pragmatic thought. Also, the robots can transform into abstract concepts to wage battle on a different plane of reality. Also there will be robot yaoi.
F!
~~
Also.
ParryLost
Our New Friend

Re: We Fear the New

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:21 pm

I could have done without the yaoi.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Volair » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:24 pm

I couldn't. REWR-clank-clank-clank-REWR.

"Hey Bumblebee, look at those two humans go at it."
"Yeah-- they did that on my hood a while ago."
"Looks like fun, doesn't it?"
"Prime... where are you going with this?"

:twisted:
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby Alfador » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:32 pm

Ah, the Legend of Ika Takozushi. If thou knowest it not already, the moving picture show can be easily viewed thus: http://otakuworld.com/shibai/pages/kamishibai.html Unfortunately, it appears Macintoshes are not supported...
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:07 pm

ParryLost wrote:I personally believe it will be the story of a giant robot that breaks into an Asian art museum, and steals a world-famous painting of an octopus and a piggy. It does this because its power reactor is driven entirely by the creative energy encapsulated in great works of art.

An artistic robot? Now that's silly.
ParryLost wrote: Also there will be robot yaoi.

Yay!
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby Alfador » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 am

Nick wrote:
ParryLost wrote: Also there will be robot yaoi.

Yay!

Well, I could definitely get behind that.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monthenor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:40 pm

Alfador wrote:Ah, the Legend of Ika Takozushi. If thou knowest it not already, the moving picture show can be easily viewed thus: http://otakuworld.com/shibai/pages/kamishibai.html Unfortunately, it appears Macintoshes are not supported...

Dude they so are. Unfortunately I seem to remember people having trouble with the sound or Java version of something.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby strange_person » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:43 pm

I downloaded the linked thingie, and it runs, but does nothing of use. Is there some trick to getting it to load the actual stories?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Mitsukara » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:14 am

The way it worked for me was, open the program, hit "new game", and pick off a list; are the stories in the correct directory? PDH and Ika Takozushi should be built-in, so if they aren't on the list, something's wrong, I'd say.

I found it a while back, and it was actually my first Pastel Defender Heliotrope experience; it's a much cuddlier, cuter, funnier sort of story, although the webcomic's version of events does cover basically everything that happens... just to much different effects. The Kamishibai also features a Kirby's Dreamland 3 sort of animated-with-crayons look.
0-0

If anyone's interested in robot Yaoi, I stumbled upon the most interesting (just short of explicit) picture of Optimus x Galvatron by accident this one time... :dead:
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby strange_person » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:03 am

I'm running the java-based Mac version. There are two menus: File {Open, Close, Quit] and About {About…]. Open produces a window with no features except Okay and Cancel buttons, and About produces a window with the following text:
Java Kamishibai Player
(c) 2004 by Bob Cosmano

Original player (c) 1997 by Accursed Toys
Original player and stories
available at http://otakuworld.com

BMP processing provided by Sun Java Advanced Imaging toolkit
Used under (really unrestrictive) license
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Tychomonger » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:20 am

Do you have a Takozushi folder in your Stories folder in the program directory? If not, you could send me a PM with your email address, and I could sent the Takozushi folder to you as an attachment.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:52 am

Yes, I have the takozushi folder, but I'm not running shibai.exe because I have a mac.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Tychomonger » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:03 am

Ah. If you have extracted the windows files to your computer, then what you have to do is place the java_kami.jar file in the same directory as the windows exacutable before you run it.

Edit: This brings up Takozushi in the Open dialog for me, but it doesn't actually run correctly. Maybe you'll have more luck with your mac.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:15 am

Okay, I can open stuff now, and Heliotrope runs, but Takozushi does not.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Iustinus » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:51 pm

That robot thing... given how much the comic version of PDH changed the context of the original kamishibai, it may not be far from the truth!

And thank you so much for directing me to the mac kamishibai javascript! I'm so happy I can watch these on my own computer now. Both of them work (with the occasional bug, but nothing serious)
Iustinus
Our New Friend

Postby Alfador » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:33 pm

Monthenor wrote:
Alfador wrote:Ah, the Legend of Ika Takozushi. If thou knowest it not already, the moving picture show can be easily viewed thus: http://otakuworld.com/shibai/pages/kamishibai.html Unfortunately, it appears Macintoshes are not supported...

Dude they so are. Unfortunately I seem to remember people having trouble with the sound or Java version of something.

MY BAD!!! I totally forgot about your implementation. Accept my apologies? :sweatbead:
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:35 pm

Also, I have added The Legend of Ika Takozushi to this comics tracker, in case anyone uses it.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Greyman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:03 am

Alfador wrote:Also, I have added The Legend of Ika Takozushi to this comics tracker, in case anyone uses it.
No you ha... wait. It's filed under "T" for "The" isn't it?
Greyman
Welcome, New User!

Postby Alfador » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:30 am

Greyman wrote:
Alfador wrote:Also, I have added The Legend of Ika Takozushi to this comics tracker, in case anyone uses it.
No you ha... wait. It's filed under "T" for "The" isn't it?

Yup. This particular comics tracker does not disregard articles when ordering comics. A common workaround in such systems (eg. for card catalogs in libraries) is to omit the word "The" and instead place it at the end of the title, after a comma. But it seems many who use this tracker do not bother with such, and merely deal with the higher concentration of comics filed under "T" for "The" and "A" for "A" or "An."
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Ejia » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:52 pm

ParryLost wrote:Also there will be robot yaoi.

I... once had a dream about robot yaoi.
This space for rent
Disclaimer: Space not actually for rent. Side effects of space include dizziness, nausea, mild diarrhea, hair loss, and/or ascent to a higher plane of existence.
Ejia
Blueberry Class

Next

Return to The Legend Of Ika Takozushi