I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby jesush8r » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi, I'm mostly here to philosophize with all you clever people. Strange_person suggested i join the conversation.
I'm an atheist (who goes to church), a vegan (who hates PETA), and a libertarian (who supports a citizen dividend and global federalism). I welcome your unrestrained criticism. I don't actually hate jesus that much, just the "worship me or burn forever" part of his message.
:)
jesush8r
Welcome, New User!

  Offline
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:05 am

Welcome Jesush8r!

I'm an atheist (who goes to church), a vegan (who hates PETA), and a libertarian (who supports a citizen dividend and global federalism). I welcome your unrestrained criticism.


I'll bite! Nibble, anyway.

OK... Atheism. My problem with Atheism is that when it is argued that we currently have no way to know for sure whether or not there is a god or gods is that...this is true. We currently don't. Being a rational skeptic (or at least I try to be one), I have to ethically admit this point, and so I stand as an agnostic. Also, I've personally experienced far too much weird shit to be able to honestly rule out anything, ultimately. So I find Atheism to be as strident a religion as any faith, in that it demands faith that evidence against the atheist worldview will never be found, ever. I cannot arbitrarily believe that. Or anything, for that matter.

That said, my current short duration personal savior, or Shortdurpursav, is Richard Dawkins. I cannot get enough of him, or what he has to say. Goddess I love that mans way of talking about atheism. Almost makes me want to convert.

Veganism. Please don't be afraid. There is hope. There is now a cure for Veganism; the bacon cheeseburger. And yes, PETA has gone so far overboard lately that not even the combined coast guards of all nations could rescue it.

Libertarianism, like Communism, or Capitalism, or many other 'isms', is a perfect form of society. Unfortunately, humans are not perfect, and are thus utterly unsuited for living under it. Humans cannot be trusted to look out for their own best interests any more than they can be trusted to look out for the best interests of the state, of others, or of anything other than their own personal greed and desire for power. Human beings, however great they imagine themselves, are not capable of living up to their Ideals, which is why all these 'ism's always, always fail. Horribly. Through massive corruption and lack of ethics. My evidence? The whole of human history.

It is a fairly robust proof.

Federalism is just another cover for totalitarianism, inevitably. Where there is power, there are power-hungry sociopaths taking it for themselves.

There has only ever been one form of government; gang rule. Tribe, city-state, nation, superpower; whatever colorful gang name you give it, it is always rule that must derive from force of arms, from being bashed with a club, or shot with a gun. And it must be that way because any attempt to the contrary always leads to violent overthrow, often from within, because it is easy, and because humans are violent, selfish, hunter-gatherer apes.

OK, that is enough critical thoughts.

Now we dance! Hoka Hoka Hey! Wahulamazuma! Hoka Hey!
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Image
User avatar
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

  Offline
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Olympia, Washington

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Monthenor » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Now hey, I don't truck with none of them there vegan types.

*hooeeek*
*spittoon*
User avatar
Monthenor
Apple Class

  Offline
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:33 pm
Location: Right where I need to be

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Alfador » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:39 am

I eat herbivores. Nom nom nom nom nom! ^v^ *foxpounce* Do you has a flavor?
Arf! *wagwagwag*
User avatar
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

  Offline
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:29 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Monocheres » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:27 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:There is now a cure for Veganism; the bacon cheeseburger.


Yes, I believe that is the standard treatment prescribed by the DSM-IV. However, there are a number of alternative treatment regimes currently under active research. The Bay Shore Chowder's lobster bisque has been shown to have remarkable efficacy in a double-blind study. (The cure rate was substantially above the control groups given borscht or vichy soisse, and even exceeded Progresso Rich and Hearty Beef Pot Roast Soup by a statistically significant amount.) Then of course, there's the Fluky's Chicago-style hot dog, which has a long history in the literature. However, there has been considerable on-going debate over interpretation of results, given the substantial admixture of mounds of juicy delicious vegetable condiments on the typical experimental sample.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
User avatar
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

  Offline
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:57 am
Location: Penny Delta, Kingdom of the Moirolatres

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Plasman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:30 am

Ugh. I can't stand bacon on a burger! I steer away from the temptingly crispy rashered meat as much as possible. I figure if I kid myself into thinking I don't like it, I won't die of cholesterol poisoning... right?

Don't take any heed of these cheeky carnivores, J-8. You stick with the veganism. I know many people who have taken the road of abstinence, and they're much better for it. Me, I just can't quite give the meat up yet, but I'm trying to reduce my meat consumption. There's no way that we need to eat as much meat as is currently available.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
User avatar
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

  Offline
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 8:23 am
Location: Australia

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:18 am

Plasman wrote:There's no way that we need to eat as much meat as is currently available.


No, not need, as such...

We do what we must, because we can.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Image
User avatar
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

  Offline
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:25 am
Location: Olympia, Washington

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby strange_person » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:50 am

Except the ones who are dead.

I wonder if it would be possible to carry on an entire conversation in Portal quotes?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
User avatar
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

  Offline
 
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Monthenor » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:38 am

I guess I have a love-hate thing with veganism. On the one hand, I simply cannot grok someone who voluntarily removes themself from their proper place on the food chain. Someone who turns their back on the millennia of clawing that our human forebears did, slaughtering and taming every predator that outranked us physically (most of them) to stand atop the pyramid of charbroiled flesh.

On the other hand, I recognize that such a decision is possible because our civilization is so wonderfully decadent that people have the opportunity to ignore their own omnivorous physiology, and not just survive but thrive. That somebody can say "You know what, canine teeth? Fuck you. Beans are where it's at." and not die of malnutrition. If this wasn't possible, we also wouldn't have all the other creature comforts that I enjoy.
User avatar
Monthenor
Apple Class

  Offline
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:33 pm
Location: Right where I need to be

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Monocheres » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:28 pm

Totally off on a tangent, but:

I once read somewhere that, back in the days of the telegraph, when telegrams were charged by the word, people would exploit puns in an attempt at frugality. So a besotted paramour pitching long-distance woo to the object of his affections might have dashed off this missive:

OMNIVOROUS HAPPY SIAM VENOM WITHY

... thereby saving himself more than 50% of the charge. Whether the beloved recipient would be impressed with his ingenuity or discomfited by his miserliness is an open question.

Anybody care to guess the translation? :-)
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
User avatar
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

  Offline
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:57 am
Location: Penny Delta, Kingdom of the Moirolatres

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Tychomonger » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:30 pm

Monocheres wrote:OMNIVOROUS HAPPY SIAM VENOM WITHY

Anybody care to guess the translation? :-)

"I'm never as happy as I am when I'm with you."
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
User avatar
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

  Offline
 
Posts: 866
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Beside myself

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Monocheres » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:45 pm

"... with thee." But yeah.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
User avatar
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

  Offline
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:57 am
Location: Penny Delta, Kingdom of the Moirolatres

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Alfador » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:52 pm

strange_person wrote:Except the ones who are dead.

I wonder if it would be possible to carry on an entire conversation in Portal quotes?


It's funny, actually, when you think about it.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
User avatar
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

  Offline
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:29 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello.

Postby Wic » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:01 pm

The bacon is a lie.
It's that my homunculus inside my head doesn't even try to understand the outside world. He thinks it's a video game and smashes the buttons at random to find the key where you shoot the lasers.
User avatar
Wic
Apple Class

  Offline
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:04 pm


Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron