Oh gee, guess I oughta introduce myself.

Postby sampaguita » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:28 am

Don't mind me, just a lurker passing through. I'm mostly harmless, really (now guess my favorite author for a No-Prize!). I'm not really the sort to post intro threads, since I'm also the sort to dick around on a site for a few months then ride off into the sunset, headed for another site like some sort of drifter, but I guess the sort of thing people usually do in these is list off some of the junk they like, so here:

Being a smartass, going off on tangents, long sentences - probably all the fault of Douglas Adams (hm, now I've nulled the No-Prize - wait, what would that even do?)

I like to draw (at times, almost with something approaching adequacy), write (considerably better than I draw, at least), listen to music (with vaguely quirky tastes far too random to list here) and read... I don't read as much fiction as I used to as a kid - mostly I just read the Internet, such as raiding Wikipedia and ending up reading about white tie dress, various minerals such as ice and some discovered on the Moon, and random mathematical concepts like kissing numbers and sphere stacking, which is odd since math pretty much kicked my ass in college. TV Tropes is a wonderfully fun time waster too. Also, I guess I like flowers and such since I can rattle off a pretty well thought-out list of favorite plants and things (grape hyacinth, sunflower, sage, jasmine, Ixora, sycamore, jade plant...), but I've got the worst luck with growing them.

So what other kinda stuff do I like to read and watch? Comics, of course - my other favorite webcomics include Order of the Stick, Nobody Scores, Sinfest, xkcd, Kevin and Kell, Awkward Zombie, Let's Be Friends Again, and a few others. I've also just recently gotten into comic books - DC mostly, though I've fond memories from my youth of a pile of ol' kiddie comics like Scrooge McDuck and Richie Rich. If I hadn't lived out in the sticks and could've gotten my hands on the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League comics, though, I probably would've started reading comics a lot earlier in life. Fun!

I don't have as much time as I used to for watching TV or playing video games (I read pretty fast and you can pick your own pause/save point, so I still have time for that at least!), but I do like Doctor Who (my favorites are 3 and 6, though I haven't gotten to see 'em all yet), a few other shows, and various nostalgic cartoons from the late 80s-early 00s. Hey, I got three channels until I was introduced to cable TV and the glory of syndication in sixth grade, I've got to catch up sometime. Not to mention that until I got a PS2 for my 16th birthday or so, my video game experience was limited to Tetris, a couple Pokemon games I never finished (guess who got one of the Gold cartridges with the faulty internal battery that eventually would stop saving?), and a couple admittedly awesome point'n'click PC adventure games (ah, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, I pine for you!). But when I can I also play a few MMOs - World of Warcraft is the in-laws' game of choice, but sometimes I'll hit up a free-to-play here or an open beta there, occasionally at my husband's behest. Good thing I'm good at coming up with names and backstories - a little too good. I like a few console games too (Metal Gear Solid, Katamari, Super Smash Bros.), but the free time thing rears its ugly head. Mostly I'm too "flinchy" to play action games (probably due to starting my video game training too late in life - no SNES Megaman skill-honing here!), but I haven't got the time to catch up on all those Final Fantasys I missed! Though I seem to be a bit of a completionist where JRPGs are involved, so while I've played to the end of the Kingdom Hearts games and FFXII, I still want to go back for all the bonus bosses and suchlike. One of my favorite games is Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, but repeated playthroughs are needed to get all the backstory and my copy's ended up at a relative's house in another state. Boo.

Also if I don't get Beatles Rock Band the day it comes out, heads will roll. Heh. And for the sake of trivia, my best Brawl characters are Snake and Zero Suit Samus. Ah, and though I'm probably creative enough for it and have even been told I'd make a good DM, I've never actually gotten to play D&D... never been too good at making friends, averaged one or less a school year until the last couple years of high school (thanks, art, anime club, and theatre!).

Oh, and though I haven't got time to watch more than the shortest series now, the two anime that I love love love and will always recommend to anyone who asks me to recommend an anime are Kino no Tabi and Kaiba. And I'm pretty fond of Azumanga Daioh too, which conveniently has a pretty short manga too (only CLAMP manga I've ever managed to read? Wish, all four volumes, heh). Childhood nostalgia has forever instilled in me an abiding love for Sailor Moon and Digimon, as well.

Anyway, this post is now officially embarrassingly long and rambly, so uh. Hi.
sampaguita
Welcome, New User!

Re: Oh gee, guess I oughta introduce myself.

Postby Plasman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi! Welcome! :D

1) The answer is DOUGLAS ADAMS. Now, where's my No-Prize?
2) Oh, well, if you've retracted it, it means a) I now owe you something; b) you owe me something, or c) both of the above, which... makes it a No-Prize after all?!? :?
3) Ahh, TV Tropes, which should really be called "The Time Sponge". Sixteen hours of my life I'll never get back, but now I know EVERYTHING there is to know about Buffy/Angel crossovers... wait, did they just update that page AGAIN!?! ^^+ .
4) If you have a Wii, you can get IJ: Fate of Atlantis on Virtual Console... or will be able to if you also order Staff of Kings. The Wii and the DS are well suited to the point-and-click adventure.
5) Beatles Rock Band sounds like fun! But I only wish they'd release a Beatles version of SingStar (or equivalent)... THAT would be also fun.

Hope you stick around! :mrgreen:
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Welcome!
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby sampaguita » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Plasman wrote:2) Oh, well, if you've retracted it, it means a) I now owe you something; b) you owe me something, or c) both of the above, which... makes it a No-Prize after all?!? :?

I think at this point I just owe you something with a denominator of zero. Maybe a sponge cake.
Plasman wrote:4) If you have a Wii, you can get IJ: Fate of Atlantis on Virtual Console... or will be able to if you also order Staff of Kings. The Wii and the DS are well suited to the point-and-click adventure.
5) Beatles Rock Band sounds like fun! But I only wish they'd release a Beatles version of SingStar (or equivalent)... THAT would be also fun.

I have been trying to talk the husband into picking up Staff of Kings, heh. And Beatles Rock Band seems to be doing alright on the vocal part - mmm, three point harmony.

Anyway, I'll mostly be lurking and whatnot as I tend to do, but thanks for the warm welcome, all! :kiss:
sampaguita
Welcome, New User!

Return to Introductions