Re: Your Avatar

Postby Monocheres » Mon May 24, 2010 7:58 pm

My avatar, as some of you may recall, is cropped from a 1927 illustration of the 1911 Modern-Greek young-adult novel Paramythi Horis Onoma (Tale Without A Name), by Penelope S. Delta, my English-language adaptation of which you can find here. Depicted is my favorite character from the story: "Monocheres" (which I translated as "Lonehand"), the one-armed river boatman with the cheeky attitude and the wall-to-wall grin, who constitutes all that remains of the once-mighty navy of the fairy-tale "kingdom of the Moirolatres" (which I translated as the "kingdom of Fatalistica"). You can find the full illustration on page 100.
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Tue May 25, 2010 2:06 am

Hey, Mr. Mon! How are you going with that translation, by the way? Any luck getting a new artist for the illustrations? It'd be good to see this available commercially, especially now this new iPad thing has "reinvented the book" (pfnar ;] ).
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monocheres » Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 am

I was in contact a while back with a Greek lady in England who has already done a couple pieces of art based on the original book, and she might be interested in a commission if I can find a publisher. But my hunt for a publisher has got back-burnered because of a few little things ... oh, like separating, moving into a bachelor pad, negotiating a divorce, working on staying connected to my kid every other weekend while hitting the dating scene, meeting a nice gal, starting a new relationship, starting to feel like a human being again, yadda yadda ...
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Thu May 27, 2010 7:02 am

Monocheres wrote: @,@

Oh. Oh, sorry, mate. That's some serious ^^+ you got happening right there. It explains why you haven't been around the forums much, I guess. :sweatbead: I hope it all works out for you meanwhile.

Geeze, it seems a lot of people I know have been splitting up on the quiet. I'm so far out of the loop it's scary.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby InterNutter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:57 pm

My avatar is... Me. Sort of. Back when I had orange hair that was cut shortish and had a tendency to go everywhere. I not only wanted to encapsulate how I looked, but also my... bizarre attitude towards life in general. A larger version [with some scant mood alterations] is used whenever I blog on livejournal.

Kinda boring, but... I'm mostly anti-deception. I'm me wherever I go.
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie...
InterNutter
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Sinosaur » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:59 pm

My avatar is clearly a photograph of myself. You can tell by the realism and the fact that it's entirely original.

I'm also an awesome necromancer.
Sinosaur
100 Post Little Master

Postby Jade Cat » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:46 am

I am an awesome-r necromancer than you, Sino! Behold!

My avatar is a cropped version of an air elemental, one in a series of gangly-limbed barbie-naked elemental ladies I drew many years ago. The only other one I have saved is Wood/Earth. Fire got lost somewhere.
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Jade Cat
Blueberry Class

Postby Idiot Glee » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Mine is a drawing Nick did of me. ^^' Mew!
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Zygote Jr. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:13 pm

...wee Zygote's avatar is a life-sized photograph of himself, taken whilst he was being booked into jail that one weekend. Thrice-damned appletinis.
Zygote Jr.
100 Post Little Master

Previous

Return to Introductions