My introduction! (finally!)

Postby Kusa » Fri May 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Deleted... yeah sorry!
Last edited by Kusa on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kusa
Welcome, New User!

Re: My introduction! (finally!)

Postby mwchase » Sat May 07, 2011 12:00 pm

It's great having new people around. Welcome!

That's a lot to take in, and I don't know if I can respond in any helpful fashion. My first inclination was to go off rambling about how my life has been, but I wasn't sure how polite that would be after you finished pouring your heart out to a bunch of strangers. Short version: things have been fine. Longer version: ... but I'm still pretty weird.
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Kusa » Sat May 07, 2011 1:25 pm

First of all thank you very much! Also, honestly some advice (in any form) is better than no advice... heck even bad advice is useful in that you know what NOT to do in the future. xD

This being said, do not worry about it being impolite... especially if it comes to sharing your own experiences. First of all, this is how interaction works! One person puts out some information whether it be questions, a history of sorts, or a recounting of events. Then the person replies in turn either providing new information, or information on a similar topic. Or sometimes you just go on a tangent which is also quite fun as well.... either way it is not impolite especially if done with good intentions. Second of all, again do not worry! I am always happy to lend and ear, or in this case a pair of eyes! I love interacting with others and chances are there are some things I could probably learn as well, or find solace in.... so either way it is not a bad thing. :)

In either case it is very nice to meet you, and as I've found repeatedly in life.... there is nothing wrong with being weird!
Kusa
Welcome, New User!

Postby mwchase » Sat May 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Ah, lessee. I found Unicorn Jelly through Adventurers!, a webcomic about JRPG characters dealing with the absurdities of their game. I forget how I found Adventurers!, because that has to have been nearly a decade ago. Anyway, it used to have a UJ link, and I clicked it, and that's how that happened. Not super-exciting, and no dysphoria.

Weird in plenty of other ways, though. Weirdly high IQ (which I wish I could just use to bludgeon confusing things into submission. "Homework! I am a genius! Make sense, dammit!"), weird psychological stuff (pretty sure I have pica, of the blood variety. I'm aided in keeping it under control by the fact that indulging in it causes me physical pain, so it's more of a thing that's there than a problem. That said, there are some Twilight fangirls who'd love to let Edward munch on them, but think that people with pica are deranged psychotics! %< ), somewhat weird sexuality (I suspect that contemplating lots of transhuman fiction and brain-uploady-stuff turned me pansexual. That, and being a furry.), and probably some other stuff that I've out-and-out forgotten is weird. Looking back on the previous decade, the only advice I can come up with is to find friends who'll accept you for whatever weirdness you have (I'm pretty sure, statistically speaking, everyone is weird in some sense. I recall a sci-fi(?) short story I read back in high school about the discovery and social implications of a perfectly average man.), and it seems to me you're working on that, so, um, keep up the good work! (The only other thing I can think of is having a good disposition, which is pretty much involuntary. I have been even-tempered, and I will be even-tempered.)

So far as the non-weirdness parts of my life... My parents are from Florida, I was born in California, and I've spent most of my life in Massachusetts. Right now, I'm double-majoring in chemical engineering and math, and the chemical engineering stuff is honestly kind of making me fantasize about back-breaking physical labor. :dizzy: I could totally swing that, too. No student loans, due to a fantastically generous scholarship, and I'm sure my grandparents would be happy to have someone to help split logs. More seriously, would really like to look into various kinds of art. I'm currently making a (really low production values) comic for an independent study course, because my sponsor wanted to try something different than just another paper. Once I finish that project, and maybe finals, though I always kind of wing those, I'm planning on putting together information about all of the stuff I have planned, because there is so much stuff that I forgot a bunch of it. Comparing our plans in life... I think the best help I could give to injured people would be to stay away from them. I'm bad enough at taking care of my own body, I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's. (So far as what I'd list... three novels, though one is just for completeness, one short story, some music, administering a wiki (for, um, anti-fans of a completely unrelated comic. The anti-fanon is surprisingly intricate and hilarious.), easily half a dozen computer game concepts, and possibly helping some other people with their own ideas, I'm not entirely sure what the plan is.)
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Kusa » Sun May 08, 2011 12:33 am

Hehe weird with the high IQ thing.... I suffer from the same bit of weirdness which I wish would allow me to bludgeon a few things into submission.... mainly physics, and math stuff where I did well but still was left in a corner crying at the sheer number of equations that I had to ingest, and regurgitate.

As far as the pica/vampirism goes, there are actually some communities that mention this... and maybe the theories they have may seem crazy but if it works, it works neh? I am oddly curious though, how does it lead to physical pain? If it is not too prying to answer in any case!

Concerning the pan-sexual bit, I must say good on you! It is not everyone who finds themselves able to transgress the idea of a body, and fall in love with the idea of the soul/personhood of someone. Especially when you have society, and even biology systems driving you madly in a certain direction.

Also, I do envy the locations you had growing up... I was born on the beautiful island of Puerto Rico, but ended up being moved over to Chicago at two, and then later to the horrible hell pit that is Springfield IL. There I spent good portion of my life (age 4 through age 18). From there on out, things got hectic with a string of job changes that lead my father and thus our family to relocated to Arkansas, Missouri, and then to Oklahoma where we currently reside. ( We moved about 6-7 times within those areas.) And with any luck I hope to stay around here.. or perhaps just reside in Puerto Rico after medical school if all goes well and I do end up getting in there.

As for your majors.... OUCH. Concerning math, yeah... I got as far as Calculus and I was very happy to call it quits! That being that due to curriculums changing and getting shifted around so much I ended up one class shy of a math minor despite my dislike of the subject. In either case it was truly painful, and the cause of much stress, sleep loss, and unhappiness to me xD As far as the chemistal engineering goes... more or less the same story, but I do not dislike it as much as math.

As for staying away from people... don't go that far. I mean yes taking care of the body in that way is a big choice, but more often than not such extreme measures are not needed thank God! (or whichever entity you choose to thank o.o;) So as a result more often than not, only small steps can be taken which usually make it easier than even taking care of yourself. Heck, the only reason I believe I pay any attention to myself or this body is because I constantly strive to keep it in a state that does not bug me to insanity!

Also if you ever do decide to make it public... I would be interested in seeing the comic you are working on, and most definitely the music!

In any case as this point I am going to bed as it is quite late, so you have yourself a nice one and as always it has been wonderful to talk. :)

Have yourself a wonderful one!
-Kusa
Kusa
Welcome, New User!

Postby mwchase » Sun May 08, 2011 11:47 am

Well, the pica is like... I'd get hunger pangs for blood, if I'd hurt myself (by accident, always by accident), and if I gave in, the pangs would get stronger. They'd get stronger to the point of hurting, so I eventually managed to resist, just because I knew how much it would hurt to give in.

So far as not being able to take care of myself, I meant that more in terms of clumsiness. I've mostly recovered, now, from an accident I had about two weeks ago, in which I tripped, fell, scraped up my knees, hands, and an arm, and did a somersault onto my backpack. (My DS took the brunt of that, and being made of nintendium, it only suffered minor cosmetic damage.) That's more extreme than what usually happens (I usually have really good balance, and at least I didn't hit my head!), but organic chemistry lab has shown me that my body has an... affinity for poisons. To finish off that semester, I accidentally soaked my hands in chloroform... (-.-)

So far as my majors... the only thing I really don't understand is how I got an A in one of my classes last semester. I got nothing out of that class. But... I think the issue is just overloading on esoteric stuff. At some point, descriptions of things just completely run out of intuitive force.

"By manipulating these differentials algebraically, we can describe all thermodynamic systems ever, with no idea what's happening in the intermediate steps! How? MAGIC!"

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Kusa » Sun May 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Wow, for the first bit... believe it or not. I came across a website a long time ago which contained people that seemed to share the affinity for blood as well. And yes I do know it may sound odd... but at this point with all the oddity I've dealt with I really do not think this would be any worse. Google Sanguinarius, or Sanguine vampires.... it may seem kind of odd but if the information helps you, or provides you some relief it would be worth it I'd think. If not, well you always have an amusing, or interesting read ahead of you.

As for your injuries... I am glad that they where not severe, and am relieved that even your encounter with chloroform didn't seem to have any fatal effects. That and one can always use just a little bit of extra sleep... however it is obtained. xD

As for learning, one can understand the information as presented, and be rewarded for it grade wise (the A you mentioned)... and still gain nothing useful out of it. That being for the reasons that you mentioned... you get so loaded up with the information as to how it works, and what to do, etc concerning these vague principles that they never get around to explaining how, or why they think things may work. (The joys of entering the theoretical area of sciences!) So in the end you have all the basic pieces, and methods. However one ends up lacking the idea as to why it works or does whatever it does, you never get the intuitive "foothold" of sorts that you may need to actually do anything with those building blocks. At least that is how I perceive it.

.... though it could always be magic. ;)
Kusa
Welcome, New User!

Return to Introductions