MS Paint

Postby marinschild » Sun May 24, 2009 3:12 am

I love using MS Paint. It is simple and offers a challenge: to make art with rudimentary tools. I used to use it all the time, but once I got gimp I strayed away from it. It has it's flaws that really burn me sometimes. It's lack of a layering system, ability to create gif animations, and limited undos (only the last three actions) are what really make MS Paint suck. There are other problems with the program, but I won't go down the entire list.

Simply put, if you know what you're doing then MS Paint can a fun tool to mess around with. I know I enjoy using it (my new avatar was made using MS Paint and I had fun with it).
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Re: MS Paint

Postby Anna » Sun May 24, 2009 3:31 am

My first steps were, of course, also with MS Paint,
here an example 1996
the translation
"There's something wrong wit the holodeck."
"You shouldn't have use Windows."

Welcome back, Marinschild!
And show us your art!

Hm, there was an Ichtyosaurus I'd made with.
It was in the old forum...
I'm going for a search...
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Coda » Sun May 24, 2009 10:46 am

MS Paint has everything you need to be successful, if you have the patience to do it. You have direct access to each and every pixel and 16,777,216 colors available for use. In newer versions there's even a trick you can use to get quick antialiasing, blending, and even opacity, if you know what you're doing.

The only thing that's REALLY missing from Paint is layers, which would make this all easier.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Sun May 24, 2009 10:54 am

Oh, god, I used to use MS Paint with Windows 3.1, back when you could only use 16 colours. It used to be able to "fudge" other colours by using something like halftone shading (ie. scattered pixels of different colours which looked like a solid shade from a distance), but that made a mess of your picture if you decided you wanted to change the colour later on.
I also discovered the special Undo Eraser that happened when you pressed the Delete key... :D

I used to muck around with the program in between playing Wolfenstein 3D and Jill of the Jungle... and of course, Lemmings. This is a fanpic I did for that game, drawn from memory. Right-click on it and select "View Image to look at it full size, but it won't get much bigger unless your screen is already at a low resolution.
Yeah, I know, if I had worked out how to do a screencap from the actual game it would have been a lot easier, but then it wouldn't have been true fanart then would it? I had another picture of Sonic the Hedgehog that I sadly didn't save, although it attracted a lot of positive attention (from people who couldn't draw Sonic, but hey, props are props).

MS Paint was fun - or would have been if it had some better features like those you described, Marinschild. Maybe a patch for it exists somewhere? ;]
If you want a program that does animations, you should look for Microsoft GIF Animator. If you don't have it already, you should look for it, as it's a very small program that does all the things you need it to - you just create each frame of animation as you want it, copy and paste the frames into the program, alter the settings and voila! Instant GIF animation!

Anyway, I want to see more stuff created with MS Paint. Anyone else got some hidden treasure on their dusty backup disks?

EDIT: I forgot to say - I like your avatar, Marinschild. All of your avatars have been nice.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Sun May 24, 2009 1:18 pm

Paintbrush in Windows 3.1 had a feature that I really miss in modern versions of MS Paint -- if you double-clicked the Color Eraser tool, it would replace the foreground color with the background color on the whole image. Modern versions are really annoying in that you can only use that dinky little eraser tool instead of being able to apply it to the whole document.

By the way, Win3.1 Paintbrush supported 256-color graphics or even 24-bit color if you edited the palette and if your video drivers could handle it. (I had a good video card, so I was actually able to do 1600x1200 16-bit color even in 1992.)
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Anna » Sun May 24, 2009 2:33 pm

My first computer was here April 1994, and my video card driver was on 16 colours, later I'd put it on 256, and then with courage much much more. Ahm, because I was a new in "c'puterings" I had a kind of nervous breakdowns as I had changed for the first time my driver.
Absolute chaos on the screen, nothing to see than wild colours and corupted stuff, horror blank.
I was sure, I destroyed the computer and it was an expensive thing, about 4000.- DM.
The guy in the computer shop did explan me how to repair it, and it was with the help of DOS.
You should know, and I told this story more than twice, I couldn't distinguish between the Return- and the Enter-key.
I was a novice in computer. I did copy in Windows any files with the DOS command lines on to the floppy discs, inside the file manager.
And I did need three months to push the speed button next power button.
What? Yes, the DX-2 CPU's hat a button to lower their speed, and this was how the computer was deliverd to me.
The slow mode was standard...
As I did found it, life has changed.
MS Paint was my first thing to learn how the software worked but I didn't save my pictures, I hadn't the courage.
(By the way, the place was'nt that much. 340 MB hard disc)
I really must go on for a search, I made icons of my mice trek characters with MS Paint.

I didn't realize, I had a better software on my computer, Corel Draw 3, Photo Paint.
So I bought an other software, in a nice box, Paintbrush 2.0
For this I did change the colour depth into 16 million.

The days of MS Paint where gone.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Mitsukara » Sun May 24, 2009 11:19 pm

I still use MS Paint, though I alternate it with other tools at my disposal. It's the best for sprite-size detail, and wonderfully simple/easy to use; I know it like the back of my hand. ^^
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Coda » Mon May 25, 2009 6:40 am

Yeah, I really miss having Paint around sometimes; I've been using a Mac for a long time now and Linux before that -- I haven't even touched Windows in over three years, and the only thing I miss is that I don't have a simple pixel-based tool for sprites. Photoshop's not so good for manipulating individual pixels; even its smallest brush antialiases into nearby pixels. GIMP works okay for it, but even so it's like trying to swat a mosquito with a sledgehammer.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Mon May 25, 2009 8:47 am

Coda wrote:By the way, Win3.1 Paintbrush supported 256-color graphics or even 24-bit color if you edited the palette and if your video drivers could handle it.

Yeah, the computers we had at school were really lame. Very few of them were capable of running in anything above the sixteen-colour display. Then again, we didn't even get our own home PC until after 1996, and it was some second hand clunky thing. I think it struggled to run the Quake demo. (mmm... Quake...) :drool:

Anna wrote:Ahm, because I was a new in "c'puterings" I had a kind of nervous breakdowns as I had changed for the first time my driver.
Absolute chaos on the screen, nothing to see than wild colours and corupted stuff, horror blank.

HA HA! I did that once to my mother's computer. She was running Win95 with only 16 colours because the video card hadn't been set properly. Silly me, I thought I knew what I was doing and set it to the wrong video card type - the computer worked fine until we shut it down, and then the next day, Windows booted up to this surreal undulating wave of pixels across the top of the screen... Ma was SO MAD at me for interfering with her computer, and she had an assignment due the next day!
Luckily, it took a quick trip to the library to find out about the F8 key and Safe Mode... and peace settled upon the world again. (Oh, and I was never allowed to interfere with her computer ever again... that she knew about.)

Anna wrote:And I did need three months to push the speed button next power button.
What? Yes, the DX-2 CPU's hat a button to lower their speed, and this was how the computer was deliverd to me.

WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT? Why on EARTH did people think that it would be handy to have a dual speed computer? Wouldn't you think it would be better to have the computer running as fast as possible?

Coda wrote:I haven't even touched Windows in over three years, and the only thing I miss is that I don't have a simple pixel-based tool for sprites.

That's about the only thing that frustrates me about modern "paint" programs. The program I use for basic photo editing is Ulead PhotoImpact (nabbed for FREE from some coverdisc) and you can draw in single pixels, but it's not as idiot-proof as MS Paint.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Tychomonger » Mon May 25, 2009 9:29 am

Plasman wrote:
Anna wrote:And I did need three months to push the speed button next power button.

WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT? Why on EARTH did people think that it would be handy to have a dual speed computer? Wouldn't you think it would be better to have the computer running as fast as possible?

Heat generation and power consumption. Even today, the AMD Quad Core Opteron has the ability to turn off cores when not in use to lower power consumption, and you can change the speed of the cores at runtime.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Coda » Mon May 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Tychomonger wrote:
Plasman wrote:

Heat generation and power consumption. Even today, the AMD Quad Core Opteron has the ability to turn off cores when not in use to lower power consumption, and you can change the speed of the cores at runtime.

That's not why the 386- and 486-era computers had a "turbo" switch. Power wasn't a concern back then; it was expected that computers were power-hungry monsters. Rather, it was compatibility. Software of the day was written based on tuned delay loops instead of basing anything on the system clock. Video games written for a 16MHz 386 was unplayably fast on a 66MHz 486, but if you flipped off the turbo switch it dropped down to a much more manageable speed.

Once computer power started scaling quite a bit faster and consumers weren't expected to have more or less homogeneous equipment, and especially once computers started getting fast enough to burn the overhead on interfacing with an external clock, software started getting written more intelligently to produce the right behavior regardless of setting, instead of trying to optimize every cycle.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Alfador » Tue May 26, 2009 11:37 am

Coda wrote:Yeah, I really miss having Paint around sometimes; I've been using a Mac for a long time now and Linux before that -- I haven't even touched Windows in over three years, and the only thing I miss is that I don't have a simple pixel-based tool for sprites. Photoshop's not so good for manipulating individual pixels; even its smallest brush antialiases into nearby pixels. GIMP works okay for it, but even so it's like trying to swat a mosquito with a sledgehammer.

Hnh, I've got Paint Shop Pro 7, and I've figured out how to make its various tools not antialias. Kinda irritating when I have to do it for the selection rectangle, though...
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Shivers » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:16 am

Im trying to learn more about that stuff but right now all I know how to use still and only use ms paint still right now
Shivers
Kumquat Class

Postby Anna » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:27 am

http://www.photo-freeware.net/
Photo Freeware, paint software and more,
for all systems.
Have fun.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum