Re: Lil Wayne in Custody

Postby Idiot Glee » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Drunk, buzzed, or had a drink? 'cause you know, it affects your judgment more with each sip.

*sips sherry* I'm sophisticated!

edit: I'm stone cold sober right now.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Shivers » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:21 am

lol. i actually thought u were sippin sherry for a secound thur

i was like, of a drunk like nature when making a few posts, but tried to make sure they were at least readable and not retarded yo
Shivers
Kumquat Class

Postby Plasman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:00 am

Fair enough. At least you wrote nice and neat, and not ALl ove r the place LIKe this... ;]

EDIT: accidentally hit submit during that mess, and unexpectedly made it look worse/more appropriate... continued with:

Seriously though... are you doing okay? I hope we don't have to do an intervention or anything here... :? You've said that alcohol has brought out the worst in you in the past, but does it still, or is it all mostly in the past now?
It's funny how something that is usually a sociable and relaxing activity can turn into the opposite... I've seen a lot of bad shit happen because people went beyond the point of "fun", which is why I'm too scared to touch the stuff; I don't want to turn into the party pooper.

Relevant to the topic: an Australian footballer was the subject of a documentary screened on TV tonight. He was a talented footballer who succumbed to drugs (hard stuff like "ice"), and it stuffed up a promising career.
I didn't get to watch the program because I was still at work, but there was a lot of discussion about the value of young people watching it. The consensus seemed to be that the only people who were likely to get the lesson behind the doco were people who had already made up their minds about not doing drugs - ie. "responsible adults" - whereas a lot of the younger viewers were likely to get the idea that "nah mate, it won't happen to me".

Check those out if you like. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Plasman on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby mwchase » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:04 am

I'm pretty sure anyone who pulls off that dense BBCode while drunk is both inhumanly coordinated, and seriously messing with everyone.

Not much to contribute to this part of the conversation, since the last time I had any alcohol, I was... aways away from my laptop. (I believe I once posted while trying out self-hypnosis, which does tend to cut down on my self-filtering.)
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby draque » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:09 am

Kind of late to the party on this thread, but whether it's alcohol or any other mind altering drug, I think what's more important than demonizing the substance itself, is considering the responsibility of the users. I've always been of the opinion that people should have the freedom to do whatever they like with their bodies, destructive or not, so long as they're not getting themselves into other people's business. If they do get into trouble while under the influence, then I think it's reasonable for them to take responsibility. No one but them chose to use the drug, and no one but them should be responsible for the consequences.

Full disclosure, though: I'm also of the opinion that any number of chemicals can be enjoyable, useful tools in terms of self exploration, which can be used responsibly.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Idiot Glee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:26 pm

I'm generally of the "let them do what they like, but I don't wanna" crowd... But some substances are banned for a good reason...

Heroin, Meth, and Cocaine (but not coca*) are all addictive beyond what personal responsibility can control. Responsibility when you get physically and mentally ill NOT taking a drug is farcical. The withdrawal symptoms psychologically neuter you down to the thinking ability of a child, and make you crave and chase the drug with no ability to think of what's right and wrong.

There are legit ways to deal with addiction, heroin users could easily be maintained on methadone with comparatively little ill effect (the absence of dirty needles (to say nothing of HIV, dirty needles can DESTROY your veins) and ground up brick used to cut the stuff... that counts for a lot). Meth and Coke users could be weaned or switched to safer drugs; heroin destroys you slow, stimulants BLOW YOUR INSIDES UP! Cocaine and Meth just... should be avoided.

Of course switching all the users to safe (when the supply is clean) legal marijuana is optimal. Marijuana makes you as dumb as alcohol, and smoking it is bad for your health. But alcohol can be drunk in safe places and times, and you can extract THC other ways (COOKIES!!!); so it's certainly safe with socially tolerated limits, and amazingly safer than hard drugs.

The drug war is murderous, ineffective, dangerous, and really costly (California's prisons are BANKRUPTING THIS STATE!), but hard drugs are bad too.

As for entheogens, having centers set up to guide users through the trip (either religious, or secular), licensed and regulated, would make it a safe way to explore the spiritual, medicinal, and recreational uses of LSD, entheogenic mushrooms, salvia divinorum, and the like.

Drugs can, with some exceptions, be safely used and enjoyed; the regulatory structure, however, makes responsibility difficult.

*Coca is a traditional medicine with many culinary uses as well (Coca Cola), while cocaine is present in it in low levels, it is not purified enough to be problematic. Purifying out cocaine makes a dangerous substance out of a comparatively benign one. This is somewhat analogous to purifying beer into Everclear. While it is possible to drink too much beer, it's not easy, the liquid volume arrests the alcohol intake at a lower level than someone drinking Everclear... which could kill you before your first cup is emptied. Also for example: A little asprin kills your headache, a lot kills you.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby draque » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:37 am

A few thoughts there... first off, while methadone is nothing short of a magic bullet for treating heroine addiction, it's being handled in the stupidest way possible by the government. Methadone itself is subject to abuse, and for that reason, it's regulated by the government so strictly that its street value is higher than that of the drug it's used to combat. If you can get methadone handouts from a free government program... you can take it and trade people for enough heroine to keep you shooting up and high much longer than would have been possible with the methadone. While the system has good intentions, it's currently janked beyond belief.

I suppose my main point is just that ultimately, people are going to make the choices themselves, and the best that the system can do is be there to help if they decide they want to clean themselves up. Otherwise, we're just going to have the system that we do now, ensuring that if you're caught once, you're screwed for life, no matter what you might or might not have done afterward. The only way we can manage it better is by removing the (utterly ineffectual) legal boundaries that were made to try to control the drugs.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Previous

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum