Riddle me that...

Postby Plasman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:56 am

Aaand... it's been a while since the last Riddle thread (which means that all the frustration is now a dim memory, I hope), so:

Which US state contains two antonyms (words of opposite meaning) in its name?

Spoilerise your answers {by using the lightest shade of yellow} if you please. Or just whack 'em in in black if you don't give a )): ! :mrgreen:
And feel free to post any other riddles or puzzles that you know. (I like to play too.)

PS. Perhaps the biggest riddle is - why didn't I start this thread in the Games and Gaming group? :?
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: Riddle me that...

Postby Coda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:06 am

That one's easy.

{ Connecticut. }
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:22 am

You are correct, Coda! Sorry for the long response time, but I was just trying to find some more riddles. (Kinda dry at the moment. :sweatbead: )

Why are (most) manhole covers circular?

You are given two bottles of clear carbonated beverage; one of them is 7-up, and the other is Tonic Water. Aside from the contents, the bottles are completely identical in appearance (ie. neither of them are labelled or marked). Is there any way of identifying the beverages that doesn't involve opening the bottles?
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:43 pm

These seem more like trivia than riddles, really, but I'll answer anyway:

#1: { Any curve of constant width would do; the intent is to have a shape that can't fall down the hole no matter how you orient it. }

#2: { Assuming it's unsweetened tonic water, put them both in a tank of fresh water and the 7-up will sink while the tonic water will float, as the dissolved sugar will make it denser. }
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:12 am

Coda wrote:These seem more like trivia than riddles, really, but I'll answer anyway:

Well, YOU come up with some then! (...please. ;] I like riddles too.)

#1: You are right. They're usually round because {you don't want someone to be able to remove the lid and drop it down the hole. But then, what other shapes have a constant width?}

#2: I guess that would be correct (I haven't tried). But there is another way. And it's not immediately obvious - there is another property of one of the beverages that might illuminate the difference, though. {You might want to do some research on the ingredients.}
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:47 am

#1: There's an infinite class of such curves; the Releaux Triangle is one such example.

#2: I didn't have to do the research because I drink tonic water. :P The other trick: { Quinine glows under blacklight! } Nice pun though. :)
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby masstreble » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:37 pm

{If you find a way to drop a manhole cover down it's own corresponding manhole, then I have somebody I want you to meet. He runs a school for gifted children.}
masstreble
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby Plasman » Fri May 21, 2010 8:34 am

Okay folks, a couple more to tide you over. Though I'll bet you get these pretty quickly:

U N D :? :? :? U N D
I've replaced the center of the word with three smileys.
Can you work out what the original word was?

You are a gardener. You have been instructed to plant a display made of four trees. The condition is that you must plant them in a way that they are all the same distance from each other. How is it possible?
(and no, planting them all in the same hole isn't how you do it!)

See how you go with those. I'm guessing they'll be solved within the hour... :P
(and I think I used up all of my good puzzles on the previous thread, so don't expect any more from me for a while :( )
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monocheres » Fri May 21, 2010 9:43 am

UNDERFUND

You are a gardener. You have been instructed to plant a display made of four trees. The condition is that you must plant them in a way that they are all the same distance from each other. How is it possible?

{Find a steep hill or build a tall mound. Plant on tree at the peak, the other three around the base, so that you wind up with a tetrahedral arrangement.

Krawlni gardeners do this all the time, except they don't need a 3-hill to accomplish this. A perfectly "flat" field of 4-dirt will do.
}
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Fri May 21, 2010 10:26 am

Mr. Mon., it's good to have you back. :mrgreen:
Although I had a different word in mind. {Just because there's three smileys, doesn't mean there's three letters...}

Also, while flipping through the last thread, I noticed that no-one actually solved this riddle (most likely because the damn picture wouldn't show up before):
What does this image represent?

Let's hope the image works this time, hey? ;]
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Fri May 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Plasman wrote:Okay folks, a couple more to tide you over. Though I'll bet you get these pretty quickly:

See how you go with those. I'm guessing they'll be solved within the hour... :P
(and I think I used up all of my good puzzles on the previous thread, so don't expect any more from me for a while :( )

{Underground!}

{This was already solved, but I knew you had to make a tetrahedral arrangement already, so a hill was the first idea I came up with, too.}
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Fri May 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Plasman wrote:Mr. Mon., it's good to have you back. :mrgreen:
Although I had a different word in mind. {Just because there's three smileys, doesn't mean there's three letters...}

Also, while flipping through the last thread, I noticed that no-one actually solved this riddle (most likely because the damn picture wouldn't show up before):
What does this image represent?

Let's hope the image works this time, hey? ;]

Well, they're all factors of 100, but they're by no means a complete factorization, so I'm not entirely sure...
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Sun May 23, 2010 7:15 am

In regards to the tree problem, {you can use either a hill or a hole in the ground, so long as they form the vertices of a tetrahedron}. ;]

As for the image puzzle, you've noticed that {they all have something to do with the number 100 (since there's a hundred cells in the diagram). That is indeed significant! Why do you think it would be necessary to divide the grid up in that way? And what real-life example has a similar arrangement?}

If you need more clues, let me know!
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Sun May 23, 2010 2:21 pm

If they were all green, I might think they were American paper money denominations, but it's not even a complete set of those since they do go much higher.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Tue May 25, 2010 2:00 am

Att: Alfador,

;] :P :D :lol: :rofl: etc.

Regards,
Plasman

PS. You're so close, and yet so far.
EDIT: You need more clues? Okay, you're ALMOST on the answer, but you gotta think outside of your neighbourhood.
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:13 am

I tried this riddle on Coda the other week, and he got the answer pretty quickly. See how the rest of you go:

There are two rooms separated by a connecting hallway. In one room, there are three lightbulbs mounted in sockets, and in the other, three light switches that are connected to the bulbs. Each bulb is turned on and off by one of the switches in the next room, though it is not immediately apparent which matches up to which. The hallway has a corner in it, which prevents you from seeing into the adjacent room.
Can you figure out a method of determining which bulb is connected to each switch while using the hallway ONCE? You don't have any tools or other gadgets on hand, so you'll have to solve it without outside help.

In case you wondered, the switches are regular on/off switches (eg. not dimmers ;] ) and the bulbs are either incandescent or the new fluorescent ones, it doesn't matter. And once you enter the hallway, you have to pass through the other end, regardless of where you started. :?

EDIT: Re. below - Yes, Coda... :D but folks round here are smart, so let's see what other answers they come up with that we didn't think of first...
Last edited by Plasman on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:17 am

Heh, nice, you thwarted some of the non-canonical solutions I had come up.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby strange_person » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Turn switch #1 on and leave it on for an hour. Then turn it off, turn on switch #2, and run down the hallway.

The bulb connected to switch #2 will be on. The bulb connected to switch #1 will be off, but hot. The cold bulb is connected to switch #3.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alfador » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Trying this before I look at anybody else's answers.

1) Ask someone else to turn the lights on and off while you stand in the bulb room and check the lights. Assuming "outside help" doesn't include other people who may have been in with me and not classified as "tools".

2) Unscrew the plates and hope there's enough slack in the wires in the walls for you to pull the wires through the hallway and figure it out that way.

3) This one requires "using the hallway once" to mean "back and forth once", not "passing through exactly once", and for there to be only ONE corner. First, turn two lights on and one light off. Then, go through the hallway. The light that's off is identifiable as the one connected to the switch that's off. Unscrew one of the bulbs that's on. Go back through the hallway, and turn one of the lights that's on, off. If the quality of the reflected light in the hallway stays steady, the switch you just flipped is connected to the unscrewed bulb. If there is suddenly no light coming from the hallway, the switch you just flipped is connected to the other previously lighted bulb. Process of elimination gives you the final bulb-switch pairing.

Now looking at Strange_person's answer. Huh... I wouldn't have thought of using the heat of the bulb to determine things. Damn. I was thinking purely in electrical connectivity terms. And that solution only requires going down the hallway once.

Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:42 am

:idea: S_P is correct! :D
If it's worth anything, it took me about half an hour to come up with that answer (but Coda got it immediately). :P

Alfie, you thought (fought?) well, but that's the trick to these puzzles - there's usually some element that gets overlooked because it's not a real-world situation, only a hypothetical one. I usually stumble over the details like that too; I just got lucky this time. :sweatbead:

Incidentally, did you work out what the picture puzzle represented? Did you want another clue?
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Next

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum