Re: Riddle me that...

Postby mwchase » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:27 am

Oh, so that's what that was... I thought it seemed familiar. Fairly sure I wouldn't have gotten it. Also, AAAARGH, "station" *facepalm*

Similarly for the other one, except with less familiarity. I'd have needed a serious, serious push in the right direction.

Anyway... Lunch, dinner, and a snack?

I've got a possible answer to the next one, but I'm not sure. A question:Is there any idiom or action based on "passing the cards" that I'm blanking on?

Well... "quiet" is the only one with adjacent vowels, but it's also the only one with a "q", so I'm guessing I should look in a different direction. What I mean is, the kind of thing I said doesn't seem... specific enough to the words. Like, if we were supposed to guess that, there would have been a couple dozen, maybe.

If I was right about any of those, I'll find a riddle to post later. Have... stuff to work on, for the next half a day or so.
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby strange_person » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:59 am

Plasman wrote:
:idea: What is it that's put on the table, cut and passed - but never eaten?

Somebody, somewhere almost certainly ate some playing cards on a dare, so I'm going to have to say legislation.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Wizard CaT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:12 pm

Mw, I'd say brunch would be more likely than a snack. It's always time for a snack.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:49 am

MWchase got the breakfast and table riddles (well, more or less ;] ), but congrats to everyone else who got the gist. And yes, I'm sure someone has eaten playing cards before; a quick search of Google turns up this stuff, but I seem to remember someone developing an edible deck of cards to take on camping trips (as emergency rations, in case you got lost in the woods). So I guess S_P gets bonus points for coming up with a clever alternative.

As for this one:
:idea: Uh oh, another word list... :frown: Which one of the following words is different from the rest?
sad · porter · write · gash · quiet · tower · post · salad

There's an external element to this puzzle that defines how the list works. Furthermore, I could add the words dash, flask, quote and type to this list without damaging the puzzle (ie. they also follow the same rule).

And because some of the riddles got solved:
:idea: I have a book at home that has an unusual structure. The end is in the first half of the book, and the preface is in the second half. The foreword comes after the epilogue, and the index precedes the introduction. You may have heard of it; what's the title of the book?

:idea: Here's a list of common household items:
· potato peeler · can opener · garden shears · golf club · playing cards · corkscrew ·
Which of the following items also belongs in the list?
· stapler · screwdriver · scissors · car keys · pair of gloves · envelope ·
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:30 am

Obviously the first one is a {dictionary}.

The second one I think is {scissors, because everything in the list is capable of cutting or slicing}.

Edit: Never mind on #2, I overlooked corkscrew. *headscratch*
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:13 am

Coda, your first answer is correct! 8)

...It took me a while to work out what you meant with the second one, until I realised that you can indeed "slice" with a golf club. ;] And I suppose a corkscrew could also be pressed into that kind of service if necessary (though don't try to use one to carve a roast).

If you need a clue, let's just say that a certain subset of people might pick up on the answer to this one.
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:34 am

Coda wrote:{some answers}

I got #2 and #5 correct before looking at yours--at least I got them correct if you also did; haven't read ahead any further.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:49 am

Plasman wrote:
:idea: Here's a list of common household items:
· potato peeler · can opener · garden shears · golf club · playing cards · corkscrew ·
Which of the following items also belongs in the list?
· stapler · screwdriver · scissors · car keys · pair of gloves · envelope ·

Hmmm... I'm leaning towards scissors or gloves based on the fact that all of the implements in the first list exhibit "handedness", except that I'm reasonably certain playing cards wouldn't fit that characteristic. I'd be willing to nix gloves from the running if I'm right, though, because a pair of them, mirrored, would be an identical pair even though each individual glove exhibits handedness.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:19 am

Alfie, you've practically got it. {Scissors are the only item in the second list for which a left-handed-person would need a custom model. It's surprising how many things have a right-hand bias in our world; spiral-bound notebooks, microwaves, gearsticks, fountain pens...}
Because you were close enough, I'll let you have the prize anyway!

This one's still unsolved...
:idea: Uh oh, another word list... :frown: Which one of the following words is different from the rest?
sad · porter · write · gash · quiet · tower · post · salad

Last clue before I give up and post the answer: {If you're going to respond, don't be lazy and just quote me; copy the list out instead.}
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby mwchase » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:54 am

Way to give it away. Post is the only one that contains letters from more than one row of a QWERTY keyboard.

Hmm... I believe I now owe a bunch of riddles. Oh well, should get to work.
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Alfador » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Plasman wrote:Alfie, you've practically got it. {Scissors are the only item in the second list for which a left-handed-person would need a custom model. It's surprising how many things have a right-hand bias in our world; spiral-bound notebooks, microwaves, gearsticks, fountain pens...}
Because you were close enough, I'll let you have the prize anyway!

O_O I've never heard of playing cards needing that characteristic, though, that's what threw me!
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:56 pm

You can only fan the cards in one direction if you want to see the corner with the number and suit. If you fan it the other way you just get blank.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 am

MWChase is correct again! {Indeed, "post" is the only one that spans two rows of the Qwerty keyboard.}
I'm gonna post some more, but feel free to add any new riddles in the meantime:
:idea: At the airport, there are two large unfuelled jet planes of the same make and model, with identical internal fittings. There are no passengers or cargo on board either plane. The captain, however, is immediately able to tell that one of the planes weighs nearly a quarter of a tonne more than the other. How is that possible?

:idea: A coin has been dropped into an empty bottle, and the bottle has been capped with a cork. How can you get the coin back out without removing the cork or breaking the bottle?

:idea: I have a box of 50 latex gloves (25 for each hand). If I pull out gloves at random, how many would I need to take to be sure of having a usable pair?
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Plasman wrote:MWChase is correct again! {Indeed, "post" is the only one that spans two rows of the Qwerty keyboard.}
I'm gonna post some more, but feel free to add any new riddles in the meantime:
:idea: At the airport, there are two large unfuelled jet planes of the same make and model, with identical internal fittings. There are no passengers or cargo on board either plane. The captain, however, is immediately able to tell that one of the planes weighs nearly a quarter of a tonne more than the other. How is that possible?

:idea: A coin has been dropped into an empty bottle, and the bottle has been capped with a cork. How can you get the coin back out without removing the cork or breaking the bottle?

:idea: I have a box of 50 latex gloves (25 for each hand). If I pull out gloves at random, how many would I need to take to be sure of having a usable pair?

#1. {Just because the internal fittings are the same doesn't necessarily mean the external ones are.} Or another solution, {they're being measured in different units with the name "tonne".}

#2. Teleportation! :D Quantum tunneling! :D {Get it out through another opening because you never said it was airtight!}

#3. {Two! Latex gloves, unlike leather ones, aren't chiral.}
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby strange_person » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:14 pm

#1 {The lighter plane has had a wing ripped off, or similar catastrophic damage. They are unfueled because it's a war zone and repairs are underway.}

#2 { Push the cork all the way into the bottle, then remove the coin through the unoccupied neck. }
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alfador » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:45 am

Coda wrote:You can only fan the cards in one direction if you want to see the corner with the number and suit. If you fan it the other way you just get blank.

O_O

I totally didn't even think of that.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:47 am

strange_person wrote:#2 { Push the cork all the way into the bottle, then remove the coin through the unoccupied neck. }

Gnarrrrgh, and I knew that one too!
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Alfador wrote:Gnarrrrgh, and I knew that one too!

I apologize for having foxblocked you.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Plasman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:49 am

Coda solved the rubber glove puzzle, and Strange_Person got the bottle one.

There were some good guesses for the jet-plane one, but the answer I'm after is much simpler. To help illustrate the puzzle better, I'll tell you that the planes are both undamaged and usable as they are (except for the fact they need fuel).

I also just finished the new Professor Layton game today, so I might post some riddles from that game next time. :D
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby mwchase » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:20 am

The heavier plane was lower to the ground?

Got the idea for that from the remake of The Italian Job, but I don't know if planes work like that.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

PreviousNext

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum