Re: Riddle me that...

Postby Plasman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:39 am

Nope!
Try thinking about what could be added to one plane to make it weigh more than the other, that isn't cargo, fuel or people. Or alternatively, what could be removed or eliminated from the plane to make it light enough to fit the question?
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:52 am

Plasman wrote:There were some good guesses for the jet-plane one, but the answer I'm after is much simpler. To help illustrate the puzzle better, I'll tell you that the planes are both undamaged and usable as they are (except for the fact they need fuel).

Guh, that rules out the possibility of one having fallen into a lake next to the airport and therefore having a quarter tonne of water inside...
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Alfador » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:57 am

AHA!!!

They're MILITARY jets, and what's been added/missing from each one is not cargo, people, or fuel, but WEAPONS. (Though I'm not sure this counts, as you could argue that they're technically "delivering" explosive "cargo" to a destination/target. And I don't know if gun mounts can make a quarter tonne, I'd been thinking bombs/missiles instead, which would qualify better as a "special delivery".)
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby mwchase » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:38 pm

That phrasing at the end made my mind contort in the strangest fashion, with an end-result that I may link to later, when I'm not in a public space. (That's mostly a reflection on me, fwiw.) Edit: it's this. Don't click if at work or anything like that, obviously: http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=435304. I think the worst part is, I had the existence of that image memorized. What am I doing with my brain?

Still no closer to the answer, though.

I mean, unless there's some horrifying accumulation of internal... gunk, that manifests in some visible fashion. But, that seems to be moving afield of the kind of answer that this needs.

Let me see... wait. Are there a pilot and copilot in one but not the other? That's a little less than a quarter ton, I think?
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Plasman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:49 pm

Alfie, that's a good guess, but it's not weapons that make the difference. And MWChase, omgOMGOMGOMG :explode:

I was going to reveal the answer, but you guys are trying so hard to work this one out - and it's quite tricky, I didn't get it either :blush: - so instead, I'll give you one more clue - but after this I'm posting the answer if you don't get it.

:arrow: One of the planes is newer than the other. :!:
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Paint?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Plasman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:10 am

Thank you S_P! That is correct.
:idea: One plane had yet to receive it's paint-job, and apparently it takes roughly a quarter of a tonne of paint to fully coat a plane that size. :idea:
Like I said, blindingly obvious. ;]

I guess I can post another couple now!
:idea: Rearrange these letters to spell the name of a country:
a l l p u r e

...and you have to use all seven letters; you can't just answer "All Peru".

:idea: it can be clearly seen that two-thirds of any multiple of three will be an even number. For instance, two-thirds of twenty-one is fourteen (which is even).
It could also be argued that the opposite is true; if a number is not divisible by three, then a ⅔ portion of it will not be even - and YET! There is such a number that breaks this rule... What is it?

EDIT: You're basically looking for a number that is not a multiple of three, of which two-thirds is even. Think about what that might mean. ;]
Last edited by Plasman on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:15 pm

2/3 of {ANY number not divisible by 3} isn't odd -- {nor is it even; evenness/oddness is a property of integers and if x is not divisible by 3, 2x/3 isn't an integer}.

You might argue that the answer is {zero}, as {0 * 2/3 = 0}, which is even, but {zero is a multiple of three} so that's not it.

Still working on the other one.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:15 pm

Coda wins the Technically Correct™ Award ;] ; odd-ness and even-ness apply only to whole numbers and not to fractions of them. And I guess zero is neither odd nor even, but it can't really be divided into fractions either (division by zero, natch).

...Upon review, I may have been a bit ambiguous with that question, so please read the amendment above. To generalise; you are looking for a non-multiple of three, of which two-thirds is even. {And the number you are after is between zero and thirty.}
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby mwchase » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:23 pm

... :explode: Eleven.

Right then, that's how many I owe? :sweatbead:
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Coda » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:06 am

Maintaining my Technically Correct award...

Division BY zero is undefined, but DIVIDING zero is perfectly well-defined, and zero is considered to be divisible by all numbers (the result is zero, which is a whole number).

Meanwhile, it is mathematically provable that there is no solution to your challenge using the traditional definition of "even" (which is "divisible by 2"). This implies you're using a different definition of "even"...

... *groans* And yes, mwchase is correct now that I see the joke.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Plasman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Plasman wrote:...And I guess zero is neither odd nor even, but it can't really be divided into fractions either (division by zero, natch).

Heh heh. This is why I try to avoid posting really early in the morning... I was kinda sleepy when I made that post. My new job has me working night shifts so I usually come home a bit out of sorts. (Another TeeCee™ to Coda!)

Oh, and MWChase is obviously correct; ⅔ of eleven is indeed "even". :D
Don't feel bad about not posting any riddles yet - the only reason I have been so active here is because I've just had access to a whole heap of riddles new to the forum. So long as people like having a go at them...

No-one's worked this one yet, though:
:idea: Rearrange these letters to spell the name of a country:
a l l p u r e

Here's a clue... {There's more than one way to rearrange those letters.} ;]
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby mwchase » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 pm

I feel like I've gotten closer. I notice that two of the letters can be
rotated through 180 degrees.
However, this isn't enough, or it could be completely wrong. Point is, that's all I've got for now. (The weird linebreak is to keep too much from going out over the different-colored bits of background.)

(I've spent the last two weeks dedicating myself to NaNoWriMo. No idea whether the finished product will be one that anyone at all likes. :sweatbead: Anyway, I've got so many things I'm planning to do, come December.)

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Plasman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Good luck with NaNoWriMo! I have friends who gave that a shot, and the results were interesting. It sounds like a good challenge. Yo9u gonna share the fruits of your labour with us in the end?

Regarding your guess, I might also add that the choice of typeface used on the forum is unfortunate (shame about those little tags on the letter l). Think about how many countries have seven letters in their name.

(And if you're worried about spoilertext showing up against the leafy bits, just shrink it down a bit.)
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby mwchase » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:01 pm

... Ireland?

If that's right, I'm not going to be smug like I usually am. Just... vaguely... something. I will be a mystery.

My current plan is to post a summary after my laptop gets upgraded around Thanksgiving. Alternatively, get in touch with me over IM, and get breathless, highly confusing updates throughout the day. I don't think I can actually explain what's supposed to be happening, and that's not even accounting for the bit where I decided to just be deliberately confusing.

The original plan was to throw together some unlikeable characters and see if I could build an entertaining story about them, regardless. What I have currently, completely disregards large swaths of outline, having discarded eight characters and added a bunch of stuff after the planned end. I am actually unsure whether anyone besides myself will derive any enjoyment from this, because it's just shamelessly self-indulgent.

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Alfador » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:09 pm

For the number, if you're counting 3 as not a multiple of itself (3*2/3 = 2, which is even), that's about as dodgy as not counting 0 in my opinion: 3k is a multiple of 3 for integer k, even when k=0 or k=1.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:41 pm

MWChase, you're right again! {Turn an l into a capital I, the u into an n, and the p into a d. It's unfortunate that this typeface puts a little serif on the l, though, but it doesn't matter much.}

mwchase wrote:The original plan was to throw together some unlikeable characters and see if I could build an entertaining story about them, regardless. What I have currently, completely disregards large swaths of outline, having discarded eight characters and added a bunch of stuff after the planned end. I am actually unsure whether anyone besides myself will derive any enjoyment from this, because it's just shamelessly self-indulgent.

Meh, isn't most writing self-indulgent anyway? So long as it's still readable and entertaining, that's what matters. Good luck anyways!

:? I'm done with riddles for now... unless I find some good ones in the next few days. Meantime, feel free to post any you think of. 8)
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 pm

Oh, all right then, I have one more for now.
:idea: What is the next word in this sequence:
redden · seam · blew · hatred · dense · amble · ·····?
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby mwchase » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:50 pm

what

Hint for anyone who didn't read the spoiler: if I'm right (and it's a pretty elegant solution I'm using), the number of dots does not necessarily represent the number of letters.

(Why am I doing this instead of sleeping or packing?)

mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Plasman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:36 am

MWChase is correct - remove the spaces between the words, and the pattern of letters repeats twice overall. By point of fact, the "question" is actually the answer.

mwchase wrote:(Why am I doing this instead of sleeping or packing?)

Because you're procrastinating? Oh, wait, that wasn't a riddle... or was it?
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

PreviousNext

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum