Re: The BP oil spill

Postby RaharuAharu » Tue May 25, 2010 2:36 pm

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... il-spill/1

Markey: BP will kill live feed of oil spill

Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., has issued a statement on his Congressional website saying that BP will end the live video feed of the oil spill at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., chairman of the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming and the Energy and Environment Subcommittee says in a statement on his website that BP will end its live video feed of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
CAPTION
By J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
BP informed Markey's office that the live feed would end sometime Wednesday morning and would remain offline until after the attempt to seal the well is completed. Markey chairs the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming and the Energy and Environment Subcommittee in the Energy and Commerce Committee.

Read USA TODAY's full coverage of the follow up to the oil spill here.

"It is outrageous that BP would kill the video feed for the top kill," Markey said in the statement. "This BP blackout will obscure a vital moment in this disaster."

The lawmaker added, "After more than a month of spewing oil into the Gulf of Mexico, BP is essentially saying to the American people the solution will not be televised."
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Somebody noticed that the live feed wasn't matching up with BP's official statements. Specifically, it showed the whole thing collapsing and getting steadily worse.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby RaharuAharu » Wed May 26, 2010 12:43 am

I do not have a link for it, but BP had said they will keep the cam live all during the "top kill" procedure after several members of congress urged them to. Heard it on the radio today.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed May 26, 2010 3:21 am

>> Image

I think this may need to be updated. >.<
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Anna » Wed May 26, 2010 4:35 am

I've got an other assumption.
Could it be that BP wants to discard all their tankers?
See this nice classic NASA picture for example.
The oil will be now in the gulf stream on the way to Europe. speed=1,8 m/s
A real good idea, but the separating of oil and water isn't so good with the present technique.
Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote: >> Image

However, the planet has survived much more worse catastrophies.
Well, mostly about 80 - 90% of lifeforms did extinct, but who cares, there are 6-7 billion people, a few will surley survive.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Ashes » Wed May 26, 2010 3:46 pm

They're pumping mud into the well as we speak. I hope it works.

S_P, I agree. Too many disasters, too many crisis, I'm just out of energy. Maybe if I holed up in a cave for a week and just forgot about the world, then I could recharge, come out, and start painting flyers for a protest.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby RaharuAharu » Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 pm

A Good Video from BP, explaining what they are doing.

http://bp.concerts.com/gom/kentwells_update24052010.htm

This video provides a lot of info about what is going on, and What BP is doing.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Thu May 27, 2010 7:09 am

Lawd, the more I hear about this, the more depressing it gets. Hope the mud-flinging actually works this time.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Ashes » Thu May 27, 2010 7:52 pm

It's supposedly going well, but we won't know for sure for a day or two yet, I think. Why isn't there more news coverage on this? This is the kind of thing I'd expect there to be constant up-to-the-minute progress reports on. Is the crisis fatigue really that pervasive? Is BP being blocking news access?
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Coda » Fri May 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby draque » Fri May 28, 2010 2:30 pm

I hate to sound like a crank, but it seems pretty obvious that there's a clampdown on news going on here. I tend to be very critical of tinfoil hat type theories... but there's simply nothing out there, and the news sources don't seem to be treating it with nearly as much gravity as less potentially threatening disasters. I was listening to an interview just last night (it's been taken down since, or I would link it) with a BP front man saying something to the effect of "Last night, reporters heard me say that the wellhead top kill option was going as planned, and took that to mean that it was going well. Let me just say that the top kill plan is continuing." If anyone else on the boards can find the video, it's a spooky little view into how little they're willing to give up at this point.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Fri May 28, 2010 2:52 pm

That sounds like what was said by Coast Guard commander Admiral Thad Allen in the video I linked to in my last post above.

BP is being quiet. They're not giving any information they're not being forced to give, unless it makes them look better. As far as I know, they're not letting anybody else go the site and look at what's happening either. The U.S. government, for some reason, is going along with this. The official government statements have stuck pretty close to what BP is saying, and the government hasn't tried to force BP to let other people in to inspect the well. My least pessimistic guess is that the government is compromising with BP in order to prevent a battle over who will pay for the cleanup.

TLDR; BP isn't letting any news out.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Ashes » Fri May 28, 2010 3:05 pm

A report today from the The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/29/us/29 ... tml?ref=us

HOUSTON — BP’s renewed efforts at plugging the flow of oil from its runaway well in the Gulf of Mexico stalled again on Friday, as the company suspended pumping operations for the second time in two days, according to a technician involved with the response effort.

In an operation known as a “junk shot,” BP engineers poured pieces of rubber, golf balls and other materials into the crippled blowout preventer, trying to clog the device that sits atop the wellhead. The maneuver was designed to work in conjunction with the continuing “top kill” operation, in which heavy drilling liquids are pumped into the well to counteract the pressure of the gushing oil.

If the efforts succeeded, officials intended to pump cement into the well to seal it. But the company suspended pumping operations at 2:30 a.m. Friday after two junk shot attempts, said the technician, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the efforts.

Another report from the LA Times
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 4921.story

And an interactive timeline of the disaster
http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010 ... l-timeline
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Wizard CaT » Fri May 28, 2010 4:45 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:>> Image

http://qntm.org/board

As you can see, the earth has been destroyed for quite some time, but Raharu uses a old image. As you read, science is to blame.

Anyway, it's obvious there is a media deathlock. Many lesser oil spills (which is all of them at this point) always have tons of coverage and pictures of animals in oil.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wizard CaT » Sat May 29, 2010 6:10 pm

And the top kill failed.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Sat May 29, 2010 6:49 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and ... 191622.stm

The latest attempt to stop the Gulf of Mexico oil leak has failed, the oil giant BP has said.

"This scares everybody, the fact that we can't make this well stop flowing, the fact that we haven't suceeded so far," he said.

The next option after the failure of "top kill" is called the lower-marine-riser-package (LMRP) cap containment system. It involves an underwater robot using a saw to hack off the leaking pipe and place a cap over it. The LMRP cap is already on site and the operation is expected to last four days. BP says it cannot guarantee that the new method - which has not been carried out at depths of 5,000 feet before - will be successful.

fuck fucking shit fuck damn fucking hell shit shit shit
I really liked this planet
>.<
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun May 30, 2010 6:27 am

They should have replaced Marine with Aqua. You'll get the joke.

Just wait until a hurricane comes.
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Sun May 30, 2010 10:00 am

There's still at least two more ways to stop the spill. First they're going to try cutting the broken pipe and welding on a cap or a non-broken pipe. If that doesn't work then it'll be up to the relief well they're drilling, but that won't be ready for two months. If that fails then hopefully the rest of the world will wake up and realize that if they don't help out then we're all fucked. I'm kind of imagining the whole world cooperating to drop a giant thing of some sort on top of the leak (actually I'm imagining enormous Evangelion-esque helicopters airlifting the Burj Khalifa to the site, even though it would actually only reach halfway from the ocean floor to the surface of the water). But if humanity can come together to solve this problem, it'll still take at least a year. A year of 50,000 barrels of oil and methane leaking out into the ocean ever day.

F!
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Ashes » Sun May 30, 2010 10:07 am

An article in the New York Times pinpoints the source of the failure; corporate greed and irresponsibility.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/us/30 ... wanted=all
The documents show that in March, after several weeks of problems on the rig, BP was struggling with a loss of “well control.” And as far back as 11 months ago, it was concerned about the well casing and the blowout preventer.

On June 22, for example, BP engineers expressed concerns that the metal casing the company wanted to use might collapse under high pressure.

“This would certainly be a worst-case scenario,” Mark E. Hafle, a senior drilling engineer at BP, warned in an internal report. “However, I have seen it happen so know it can occur.”

The company went ahead with the casing, but only after getting special permission from BP colleagues because it violated the company’s safety policies and design standards. The internal reports do not explain why the company allowed for an exception. BP documents released last week to The Times revealed that company officials knew the casing was the riskier of two options.

Wizard CaT wrote:They should have replaced Marine with Aqua. You'll get the joke.

I don't get it.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Ashes » Sun May 30, 2010 10:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHmhxpQEGPo

Rachel Maddow points out that a very similar disaster occurred 31 years ago. It was in much shallower water, from a smaller oil reservoir, but besides that it's eerily identical. It just goes to show how the oil corps haven't learned any lessons. The major technological advances, as far as I know, are in deep sea robotics which allow they to use the same old technology (which didn't work back then) at a more extreme depth.
Ashes
Melon Class

PreviousNext

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum