I've (actually) Lost My Job

Postby Plasman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14 am

Well, bugger.

After the last four months of speculation and hearsay, it turns out that most of the people I've worked with for the past six years will be made redundant at the end of this month. The chain of service stations I work for has been bought by a multi-national fuel company, and all of the sites will now be run privately by contractors - who have basically told the full-timers and casuals that they're no longer needed, with one week's notice.

^^+ ^); )): :dead: :x :evil: etc. etc.

By some fluke, I have somehow managed to keep *one* of my current jobs, but only because I happened to be doing casual work at one of the few sites that didn't get contracted out. At this stage, it looks like I'm only getting 10-15 hours a week... which is still better than what the rest of the folks I've worked with are getting.

The part that sucks is that we've had almost no word from above about what's been happening (apart from vague assurances that "jobs are safe as ever", and endless mass-guessing about whether we would be kept on or needed to apply for unemployment. As a result, a lot of hard-working people are now going to find it tough going for the next few months. :(

I know that there are a lot of other people a lot worse off right now (hello Louisiana :depressed: ) but I just wanted to let off some steam for a bit. This has been a confusing year for a lot of people I know.

And something tells me we'll all be seeing stuff like this more often.

Sorry. End rant. :|
Last edited by Plasman on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: I've (almost) Lost My Job

Postby draque » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Oof, I'm really sorry to hear that you're in a difficult situation like that, man. At least you've got part time work now, which will give you both some income and some spare time to look for alternatives.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Re: I've (almost) Lost My Job

Postby Plasman » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:37 am

Thanks, draque - but it seems I spoke too soon in the first post.

On Tuesday, it looked as though I would still be safe... but by Thursday, I'd got the chop. Seems that even though the site I was working at wasn't going to be taken over by a commission agent, the parent company didn't want to keep any casuals on (ie. myself and the other person). So... off to the dole queue on Monday. :depressed:

It's fine, since I'd have to be looking for another job if I'd only had 15 hours a week, but it was still disappointing. I'm just worried about the other staff member who gets to stay, because he's going to have to train up someone else to fill our old spot AND deal with the new procedures himself, and I just know he's going to have a rough time of it.

I'm also worried about all of the other people I used to work with, because a lot of them haven't had a chance to look for other jobs yet (though some of them have already scored more work elsewhere, which is good). Many of them have worked for the company for longer than I have, and I've been working there for just under six years.

Anyways, I have one more shift to go. Then I'll be going back in for the big wind-up on Tuesday; the manager is hosting a barbecue at the site, so all ex-staff and customers can come down and give the old place a hearty send off before the new owners take stock. I'm really looking forward to it, since I've spent so much time there over the past six years.

After that... well. Catch up with friends, put my resume back together, get on with life I suppose. ;]
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: I've (actually) Lost My Job

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:27 pm

That sucks, hope you have luck getting a new job.

Most companies take a similar approach to avoid conflicts ahead of time. Additionally if you know your fired, how hard are you honestly going to work? I don't think your last shift is going to be your most productive, eh? Not that it makes it much nicer for those getting fired.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:14 am

Well, yeah. The last weekend I worked was, well, "interesting". Because the staff had stopped ordering new stock (to make the last stock-take easier), by the last few days we had run out of stuff to do, aside from the regular stuff like serving customers and such.
I tried to at least keep up the pretence of work, by fronting and facing, date-checking (even though the shop had already been cleared of any out of date stuff by that time) but I really didn't care what my co-workers did or didn't do. Hey, what were they gonna do to us, FIRE us or something? :lol:

I started feeling a bit funny in my stomach on the last night shift - I figured it must've been some food poisoning, or stomach bug or something...

but by Wednesday morning, I looked at myself in the mirror and realised that it was something totally different.

My nephew had come home from school with a case of chicken pox two weeks earlier, and though my sister had definitely not had it before, I'd always assumed I'd caught it when I was younger... but clearly that was not the case. :(
I'd managed to quickly say farewell to everyone during the last day of trade, but missed out on the gathering they'd had planned for the following Thursday. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU -

- still, at least I didn't have to worry about getting time off work, hey?

PS. you might want to run a virus-check on your computers now, folks; not sure how contagious this chicken-pox is. ;]
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Anna » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:44 am

Plasman wrote:PS. you might want to run a virus-check on your computers now, folks; not sure how contagious this chicken-pox is. ;]

Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby arex » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:30 pm

I didn't get the chicken pox until I was 27, and it damn near killed me. I had a job interview when I was just starting to realize I was getting sick...that didn't go very well, but in retrospect it was sort of funny. Anyways...

What're they going to do, fire you? You'd be surprised at what an employer will cook up to try and avoid getting their unemployment insurance raised. Don't assume anyone is safe, and don't assume any employer is ethical.

Hnngh!
"Ahab knew, baby...I lust." -- Vet-san
arex
Apple Class Master

Postby Plasman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:13 am

As a sidebar, my sister was talking to someone at her job (she works as a model for anatomy classes) and they learned she'd just got over the pox; we caught the pox at the same time from the same source, you see.
Anyway, the person she spoke to was well-experienced in the medical field, and she was very surprised that we both made it through without any serious complications. And, apparently, the survival rate for adults who contract chicken pox is as low as 40 percent.
...or maybe it's the rate of adult infections that don't get any long-term complications. :? Whatever. I guess it means we were both extremely lucky!
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Wizard CaT » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:56 pm

It's true, it is somewhat deadly to adults. Of course I've never gotten it, but I dunno maybe I have one of them natural immunities or something since my best friend, not to mention the rest of my class, had it as a kid...
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Plasman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:13 am

You might have caught a mild case of it when you were younger, and not realised (but still got the immunity it afforded). Stranger things have happened. At least now I only have to worry about shingles when I get older. :cry:

What surprised me about the whole ordeal was how little information we could find. I mean, when we went to the doctor the first time, he just gave us a quick checkover to make sure we didn't have any lung problems, told us to keep isolated from others, use Calamine or pine-tar baths to help with itching... and that was it, really. If he'd also mentioned that antihistamines would work a lot better for dealing with the itching sores and help us get to sleep, I know that at least my sister would have dealt with it better. (I only learned that little detail afterwards, while checking out Wikipedia of all places.) :frown:

(Oh and PS. sorry Anna about your computer. :oops: Mix equal parts Calamine and Windex, and apply regularly if your screen gets itchy.)
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum