Re: Unscientific Survey! Please Assist!

Postby Wizard CaT » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:59 pm

What year did you graduate from High School?
What was the highest level of mathematics you studied in High School?
Honor's 1 - Pre-Calc I guess. I also took statistics and Advanced Algerbra, both of which were ranked below Calc.
Do you feel mathematics was properly taught, and taught to the level it was said to be?
I guess.
Would you rate your teacher's skill level at teaching mathematics as, Bad, OK, or Good?
Good, I guess. I think they were on crack because at least 2 of them seemed to genuinely like math :mrgreen: His favorite would was minimum because of all the loops…
Do you feel that the mathematics you learned in high school, and the skills associated, have stuck with you?
I'm a fraking tax accountant, and let me tell you I have yet to draw upon the Pythagorean Theorem or Quadradic Formula, though I still remember the first and can hum the second.
Do you feel that you put your best effort into studying mathematics?
No more and no less than my other subjects.
Do you feel that your teacher put their best effort into teaching mathematics?
Kind of relates to 3 & 4. I'd say yes.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Idiot Glee » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:07 am

Answering my own question...

What year did you graduate from High School?

What was the highest level of mathematics you studied in High School?

Algebra CD (ABCD, each a semester) Basically second year algebra. The minimum for graduation.

Do you feel mathematics was properly taught, and taught to the level it was said to be?

No, and rather blatantly so, we only glanced at actual second year curriculum in second year algebra, never finished the class syllabus, and in the end it doesn't matter because the exit exam tests for an "8th grade understanding" of mathematics That's the high school exit exam in California, testing the level of math for someone in middle school... really!

Would you rate your teacher's skill level at teaching mathematics as, Bad, OK, or Good?

Mixed bag, my Algebra AB teacher was really good at it, really knew how to teach it, and had an interest in string theory. My CD professor was not a math, science, or engineering major, and was openly only a chapter ahead in the book, that said he was good at teaching, even if he was terrible at the subject.

Do you feel that the mathematics you learned in high school, and the skills associated, have stuck with you?

Absolutely not. I barely remembered the rules for single variable equations when I took remedial algebra in college.

Do you feel that you put your best effort into studying mathematics?

No.

Do you feel that your teacher put their best effort into teaching mathematics?

Honestly, while they may not all have been very good at it, they all made valiant effort.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Verreaux » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Graduated High School in '91. Highest course offered was pre-calc, taught well by a good teacher. I put a reasonable but not exceptional effort into it, but my skills have atrophied with disuse.
Verreaux
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby Jade Cat » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:31 pm

What year did you graduate from High School? 2001

What was the highest level of mathematics you studied in High School? Algebra 2, essentially pre-College algebra.

Do you feel mathematics was properly taught, and taught to the level it was said to be? Oh hell no! My poor algebra teacher was stuck catching up people who should have failed Geometry to the point that I was getting class credit for teaching the people at my table from the book.

Would you rate your teacher's skill level at teaching mathematics as, Bad, OK, or Good? OK at best. Ms. D could explain some concepts well, but was as lost as I was once multiple variables entered the equation. She was also unable to help me with my loathing of fractions.

Do you feel that the mathematics you learned in high school, and the skills associated, have stuck with you? Some. Very basic algebra I get and practice on a regular basic, but quadratic equations and higher algebra are completely out of my brain. I can barely do percentages.

Do you feel that you put your best effort into studying mathematics? Definitely not. After nearly flunking Algebra 2 I felt like it was a lost cause, especially since my online classes offered a teacher no better than Ms. D. I discovered the wonderful world of online algebraic calculators which allowed me to skate through college algebra. :depressed:

Do you feel that your teacher put their best effort into teaching mathematics? She tried her best, but having to catch two-thirds of the class up combined with an unfamiliarity of the later material led to an unproductive class.
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Jade Cat
Blueberry Class

Previous

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum