NEWS FLASH: HUMANS DISCOVER NEW LIFE TYPE

Postby RaharuAharu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 am

NASA Finds New Life

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

Hours before their special news conference today, the cat is out of the bag: NASA has discovered a completely new life form that doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth. This changes everything.

At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.

No details have been disclosed about the origin or nature of this new life form. We will know more today at 2pm EST but, while this life hasn't been found in another planet, this discovery does indeed change everything we know about biology. I don't know about you but I've not been so excited about a bacteria since my STD tests came back clean. And that's without counting yesterday's announcement on the discovery of a massive number of red dwarf stars, which may harbor a trillion Earths, dramatically increasing our chances of finding extraterrestrial life. [NOS—In Dutch]

Before you ask Yes, I am made of the same stuff as you carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur just arranged differently.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: NEWS FLASH: HUMANS DISCOVER NEW LIFE TYPE

Postby flammifer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:36 pm

I, for one, welcome our new poisonous slime overlords.
flammifer
Our New Friend

Postby Monocheres » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 am

Krawlni Zorb: "Hey, Glup, check this place out!"
Krawlni Glup: "Ooo, a 3-D planet, how cute!"
Krawlni Zorb: "It's just so _flat_! Like a drawing..."
Krawlni Glup: "And look at all the flat little people crawling all over it -- you can see their insides!"
Krawlni Zorb: "Tee-hee, let's untie all their laces. Or pop out some skeletons!"
Krawlni Glup: "Nah, that's _so_ 5 minutes ago! How about we _really_ freak them out... !"
Krawlni Zorb: "What do you mean?"
Krawlni Glup: "Let's see ... ah, okay, see that lake right ... over ... there."
Krawlni Zorb: "Yeah, okay. 3-D lake, how can it hang there like that why doesn't it all spill out?
Krawlni Glup: "It's 3-D you doofus, it can't spill out ana or kata."
Krawlni Zorb: "Oh ... yeah ..."
Krawlni Glup: "Now look really, really close ... what do you see ..."
Krawlni Zorb: "Critters! Eensie-weensie flat little 3-D critters. Weird. You can see their insides, too!"
Krawlni Glup: "Now take a look even closer ... see the DNA? Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Hydrogen, Phosphorus, right?
Krawlni Zorb: "Where are you going with this?"
Krawlni Glup: "What if we push all the Phosphorus kata and push_Arsenic_ into it ana?"
Krawlni Zorb: "Oh, you're wicked, you are! Wonder what they'll make of _that_ when they discover it? They'll go nuts!"
Krawlni Glup: "Exactly, my friend, exactly."
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Coda » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:57 am

This really isn't all that surprising to me. Substituting arsenic for phosphorus is, chemically, not too different than substituting silicon for carbon. The two elements have very similar properties. The very reason arsenic is toxic is because it's capable of participating in biological reactions.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby draque » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:24 am

It's not surprising that is can happen, but I think that a lot of people are surprised that it did happen, since no one seems to have any good ideas about how it came to be. I'll be really interested to watch as more theories come forward on the subject.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Coda » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:41 am

Truth be told we actually ENGINEERED these bacteria. We've known about arsenic-METABOLIZING life for a long time. It's only under laboratory conditions that these bacteria started incorporating arsenic into their biological structures, and it's not even yet proven that it's been incorporated into the DNA itself, only hypothesized.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby mwchase » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:46 am

Well, presumably, they're using something, and the phosphorus was gone by the end. No matter what's specifically happening with their DNA, it's pretty weird.
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby draque » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:35 am

Ah, I was under the impression that arsenic-as-a-genetic-letter within these little guys had already been proven conclusively. There's a lot of stuff being written about them right now thanks to the media blitz, and it's tough to know what's accurate and what isn't.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby mwchase » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:41 am

It is part of their DNA, but as the backbone, not anything directly to do with the nucleotides. I think. Point is, the backbone normally uses phosphate, and they tried to eliminate that.
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby flammifer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Coda wrote:Truth be told we actually ENGINEERED these bacteria. We've known about arsenic-METABOLIZING life for a long time. It's only under laboratory conditions that these bacteria started incorporating arsenic into their biological structures, and it's not even yet proven that it's been incorporated into the DNA itself, only hypothesized.

Journalists could have made an effort to make even catchier headlines.

NASA BIOLOGISTS ENGINEER NEW POISONOUS LIFEFORM, THREATEN TO RELEASE IT UPON THE WORLD

"We were trained to be sent to other planets and examine alien life", said a spokesman, "but got bored with waiting and decided to start building aliens ourselves."
flammifer
Our New Friend

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum