How's the New Year treating you?

Postby Plasman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Hey folks, I just realised that while we have a post for Xmas, we don't have one for NYE yet... and we're already at least a week into 2011 so, instead of just asking how you went bringing in the new year, I'll also ask how it's been so far?

(Not that you can really tell this early, but well...)

I wound up going to a friend's place with my sister, and I filled my usual role as Designated Driver so my sister could get drunk and still come home the same night. It was a nice evening, though I only stayed in their swimming pool for about half an hour because it started getting cold and mosquito-ish ouside. :P
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: How's the New Year treating you?

Postby mwchase » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Well, I went on a vaguely-specified trip out to see friends, which turned out to be a trip to Boston Harbor to see the fireworks, which were okay. (I feel like, if they're going to have that many people watch a ten-minute lightshow, they can mix things up a little. Maybe I'm just spoiled from mostly watching 4th of July displays.)

I've spent most of my time having terrible sleep habits, and attempting to code a game. Anyone wants to try it out, well, tough, because I've currently been tweaking the concept of "gun", and haven't yet put serious effort into things that can use them. Or allowing bullets to hit things. (Speaking of, anybody know any good resources for hitbox algorithms?)
GENERATION -9+i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

"the worlds of our imagination have really confusing rail service."
mwchase
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Anna » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:30 am

Caution! Worse english! Watch out!

The week before christmas
Much much Snow in Germany.
When I'd drove backwards, I'd pushed into a big snowhill.
The result was, the exhaust was hanging down on the ground.
I couldn't fix it again, so I had to drive to the garage/repair shop.
The exhaust on the ground, there where many nice people who tried to tell me that ...
"I know, I'm driving to the garage!"

31th of December, "Sylvester".
Fireworks, there was mist, very thick mist. We had to watch some at TV.

Monday: Starting my car, didn't sound well, but I went to the supermarket.
When I wanted to drive home, my car didn't start, for a moments I thought now it will.
Allright, the garage/repair shop was just a 5 minutes walk away.
The mechaninc guy looked at it tried to start it, it worked, but there was something wit a cylinder head.
I drove my car to the garage.
"Marderschaden", damaged by a little critter, a marten.
I don't know if you've got this problem also. but these little predators likes to bite into all cables of the motor.
And this one had the german thoroughness. :evil:
The next day I had my car back.
You see, we had snow, much snow here, and the small way up the hill to get home was icey, it was impossible, slippery, I blocked the way with my car. I'd run home took the rest of the cat litter. So I hoped to get my car free.
Short success. And I hadn't enough cat litter, hm wait, there was a lot of it in the garbage can, from yesterday when I cleaned the cat trays.
An old bucket was easy to find and with my pure fingers I'd grab into the used cat litter and...
The poo was removed earlier, by the way.
However, it didn't help
I had to park my car at the street.
Next day, shopping at the supermarket, and parked again at the street. Next day, during the driving the motor stopped. there was a parking space, the car rolled with last swing into it.
Trying to start again, nothing, absolute nothing.
Dead...
The garage, - directly on the other side of the street.
The mechanic guy tried to start the car, nothing...dead.
So we pushed it across the street.
At the afternoon I made a phone call, there was nothing, the car did functioned well, even the mechanic guy was surprised.
It seemed my car was homesick for the garage.

I don't know if I can trust my car from now on again.
The year is young, my car is old, "born" 1995.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby draque » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 am

The new year started off a bit rough for my family. My father passed away on the 1st, and my family is still reeling from that.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Coda » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:36 am

mwchase wrote:Anyone wants to try it out, well, tough, because I've currently been tweaking the concept of "gun", and haven't yet put serious effort into things that can use them. Or allowing bullets to hit things. (Speaking of, anybody know any good resources for hitbox algorithms?)

I'm pretty good with this stuff, drop me a line via IM.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Idiot Glee » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Moved in with my girlfriend and boyfriend, lost my virginity, got lots of cute clothes, looked girly for the longest in my life, felt the happiest ever, saw snow coming down the first time ever, walked while it snowed the first time ever. Spent the longest without coffee in months (in the pacific northwest, where my habit of drinking two mugs of espresso in one sitting may be socially acceptable)... YEARS even, got a tea set that is just AWESOME and precious.

And that's just since January 7 at about 7pm.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Wow, Ms Glee, you HAVE been busy! I guess you're the winner so far.

I forgot to say what I've been up to since the new year started. Not much to say, really, apart from my car suddenly developing a fault with the electrical system. I tried to get to work last night, only for it to blow the fuse for the engine TWICE, and then once I'd got it running again, it tried to fry something behind the dashboard... so now my car smells of burnt plastic and metal. Screw you, car!

Also, we've been going through a ridiculously wet Summer, but don't take my word for it, ask InterNutter! (Parts of Queensland and Victoria have been seriously flooded out - so I guess there are worse things than having a wonky car.)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Idiot Glee » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Plasman wrote:Wow, Ms Glee, you HAVE been busy! I guess you're the winner so far.

Hard to lose when you look this good!

Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Sarria » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Wait! I recognize that wall!

Well, so far all I've done is hang out with my friends as usual, oh, and pick Ms Glee and her Girlfriend and Boyfriend up and take her to their apartment on the night she moved here. XD
Sarria
Welcome, New User!

Postby Idiot Glee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Sarria wrote:Wait! I recognize that wall!

Well, so far all I've done is hang out with my friends as usual, oh, and pick Ms Glee and her Girlfriend and Boyfriend up and take her to their apartment on the night she moved here. XD

Thanks for the lift btw.
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Sarria » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:19 am

Not a problem at all! Any friend of Mitsy is a friend of mine, etcetera :>
Sarria
Welcome, New User!

Postby Idiot Glee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Sarria wrote:Not a problem at all! Any friend of Mitsy is a friend of mine, etcetera :>

Cool, up for Settlers of Catan sometime?
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:15 am

...Holy smokes, I totally forgot to reply to the other posters in this thread - Miss Glee's personal life was just that interesting! (and that's not a bad thing either)

Anna: have you had any luck with your car since you posted about it? Funnily enough my car was built in the same year, so maybe they're only good for about 15 years? I got my stepdad to have a look at it, and he found a loose wire that was probably causing it to short out every now and then, so it seems to have fixed the problem... for now.
Good luck with your car, Anna, because I know very well how annoying they can be when they don't want to work!

And Draque... I am very, very VERY sorry for your loss. Hang in there mate.
%/
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby arex » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:00 pm

How is the new year treating me...hmm.

Wife is unemployed and I may soon be, unless the economy turns around. IRS is raping us to the tune of $800/month for a bad error I made ten years ago. House is falling apart, and I can't affort to fix it, even if I was healthy enough to do so...we only stay in the house because our house payment is far cheaper than rent would be. Still taking a fistful of antipsychotics every night, which is getting harder to pay for and is becoming less effective over time, but continues to make me gain weight in spite of the fact that I eat only lightly. One knee is destroyed, the other is failing. Driving a 20-year-old minivan on a 130-mile round-trip commute to work, that runs well in general, but nevertheless requires constant upkeep. The dogs and cats seem to be the only good things in our lives right now.

...so, yeah, great.

Hnngh.
"Ahab knew, baby...I lust." -- Vet-san
arex
Apple Class Master

Postby Alfador » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Still unemployed after a year of searching. Need to find a new place to live cheaper and larger than this $800-a-month one-bedroom in the University District. Can't GET a new place at all until at least one of us gets a job.

But very happy with my wuffie. Zephon is, according to me, a wonderful person and a treasure to have in my life.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Last December I got hired at a department store for the Christmas rush. They were so impressed with my hustle that they hired me back in February! It's my first regular job in two years!

I moved into my first apartment ever last week. My best friend moved with me. It's 1 1/2 bedrooms, a kitchen, living room, and bathroom for $900/month ($450 from each of us). We got a bunch of second hand furniture to fill the gaps left by what we couldn't manage to bring with us or buy.

We actually aren't quite done moving in yet. Lots of things are still in boxes, and we're still finding the occasional thing we forgot to get (cooking oil, most recently). But it feels like home already.

Also, my new place is so close to work that I can drive home for lunch! Or walk to work within 15 minutes and save on gas! There's also a grocery store and several awesome shopping centers within walking distance.

I got back into building Gundam models after 10 years of thinking I'd never be able to. I really love the tiny machines. So intricate, and so detailed.
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum