Queensland floods, live on TV

Postby InterNutter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:23 pm

We've had the second once-in-a-century rain n five years, and this one's still showering hither and thither, but it's apparently easing off. Yay.

Brisbane, Queensland's capital, is flooding, but thanks to preparation, we've kept the loss of lives down. Property's stuffed, but property can be fixed. Most lives were lost in Toowoomba and some other towns uphill, where the encroaching water came as a compete surprise.

The news is no longer reporting the counts of missing and dead, leaving all the panicked folks to call the emergency number and try to find things out.

Most people on dry patches are treating this as a curiosity, watching the water go by. Lots are pitching in to help anywhere they can. And hey, we're so relaxed about this that someone was selling investments in riverfront development property during the flood news!

As for yours truly, my family and I have a knack for picking out high ground. The water went by, there were some big puddles in the area. When they started ganging up, we just bunkered in and watched it happen on the news.

If you want to help, you can donate at http://www.qld.gov.au/floods :)
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie...
InterNutter
Kumquat Class Sensei

Re: Queensland floods, live on TV

Postby Plasman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Hello, Internutter! I was just about to make a post about the Queensland floods in your honour, because I saw that your neck of the woods had been affected too. I am very much glad to hear that you guys are doing all right and keeping your spirits up. Hang in there, and post pictures if you get a chance!

I called my Dad yesterday morning, because he lives in Queensland as well - but he lives further up north, and so they missed out on all the action (at least this round, anyway).

But folks, it looks pretty crazy up in poor old Brisbane and Ipswich at the moment.

ABC News page about the floods

News.com.au website news feed

Aerial shot of Ipswich, taken from above website:

...I just checked the Board of meteorology website, and it looks like Victoria may also see some heavy storms and possible flooding (some parts already have) :(
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum