steve jobs lost life

Postby Shivers » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:01 pm

steve jobs has died today guys
Shivers
Kumquat Class

Re: steve jobs lost life

Postby Wizard CaT » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Within minutes 4chan had pictures of Bill Gates with a Death Note™ Sad he was only 56 years old. Not a fan of Apple at all due to the culture of their fanboys, but Jobs is really responsible for popularizing most modern technology. Even if some others got a bigger market share while he was kicked out of his company.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby SvZurich » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:18 pm

He killed off my beloved Newton (the 2100 model learned my handwriting, no other PDA could make that claim), but I wish him well. He was a smart man who turned the world on its head a few times. I am not a big fan of his, but I do respect that man (especially a lot more than I do Steve Balmer or any modern Republican). May he rest in peace.
SvZurich
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Postby Coda » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:59 am

He killed my beloved Apple II series -- I've often wondered what the world would have been like if the 32-bit version of the II series had ever come out instead of being replaced by the Macintosh -- but he redeemed himself in my eyes by bringing UNIX to the Mac world.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Idiot Glee » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:29 am

Coda wrote:He killed my beloved Apple II series -- I've often wondered what the world would have been like if the 32-bit version of the II series had ever come out instead of being replaced by the Macintosh -- but he redeemed himself in my eyes by bringing UNIX to the Mac world.

o_O What would be the advantage of a more modern II series computer? Forgive my ignorance.
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:15 am

If you're not familiar with the Apple IIgs, the suggestion does sound strange.

If you ARE familiar with it, you know that the IIgs was actually more advanced than its contemporary Macs. Better graphics, better sound, MUCH broader software library (thanks to inheriting all of the 8-bit Apple II software), broader library of accessories (for the same reason), and a whole bunch of features that eventually made it into MacOS started off in GS/OS. (QuickDraw, the primary interface library used on MacOS until the advent of Carbon, started on GS/OS.) The IIgs was also significantly FASTER -- its clock may have only been ticking at 2.8MHz, but its GUIs tended to be much more responsive.

This is in no small part due to some really bad decisions made by Apple after Steve Jobs left in 1985.

One branch of Apple kept working on the II series and really turned it into a modern computing platform; the end result of this was the IIgs "ROM 4" that would have (had it been released) shipped with 8x the RAM of the original IIgs (and been further expandable with normal desktop SIMM memory rather than a custom memory expansion card), a built-in hard drive, an internal high-density 3.5" drive (compared to the external double-density used by previous models), EVEN BETTER sound, and -- if it had gone to completion -- some substantial firmware upgrades as well and an Ethernet card.

The other branch worked on the Macintosh line. This branch saw the IIgs as a threat to its profitability, because the power of the IIgs would attract people away from Mac. Unfortunately, the Mac side of things had just come down from a "let's sell expensive systems for a huge amount of profit per unit" policy (that ended with the head product development manager being fired) and was trying to market the (technologically-handicapped) Mac LC series. (The LC's processor ticked at 16MHz, but the rest of its hardware couldn't even keep up with the Macs built four years prior. That's how bad it was.)

Apple knew that completely cutting off support for the II series would cause rejection, especially in the education sector where millions of dollars of software development had gone into the IIe, so they released a IIe emulator card for the Mac and then later killed the native hardware, trying to FORCE users to switch to a system that was in all truth a large step backwards from what they had been shipping before.

So my imagination has always wondered: What if Apple had chosen to pursue the IIgs ROM 4, and the subsequent 32-bit upgrade that was in the design phase at the time, instead of setting themselves back a couple years in development by trying to pursue the Mac? Could Apple have won the war? Would the IIgs-successor architecture have been able to beat the PC by shooting for the same price point and providing a superior user interface? Remember that all of the development effort that went into the Mac would have instead gone to the IIgs and its successor in this hypothetical world.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby draque » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:23 am

Coda wrote:Could Apple have won the war?

Apple vies for higher profits not with Microsoft of IBM, but with the organizations that dictate oil prices for the world. I think they've won.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Coda » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46 am

In terms of money, perhaps so, but I'm more specifically referring to the Mac vs. PC war, which Windows has clearly won in terms of market SHARE.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Return to Generic All-Purpose Forum