Forum Suggestions!

Where you can suggest changes to the Unicorn Jelly Forums.

Forum Suggestions!

Postby Wizard CaT » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:11 pm

I realize this isn't really a introduction, but I felt it would be the best place, and if not just move it right?

Let me just say Jennifer, this is pretty impressive unique "stuff" you have here. I realize thats probably a bad word, but there is so much :P I appreciate, and I'm sure others will too, all the work you put into it. I only made this thread to try and improve it and to simply have a nice suggestion thread. I noticed the "introduce yourself" thread already got one, so I kind of want to try and keep it to one thread.

Well, one thing I found odd honestly is that you put the user information on the right side. That side of the screen is generally known as the garbage side, or simply pointless. I'll be honest, I didn't even notice the user info side until 5 minutes of looking around. Most people ignore that side (those with low resolutions normally don't see that side often as well). While being different is different, it might throw a lot of people off simply because of how the Internet has evolved.

Secondly, and this is really just my own opinion, but the signature size is rather small. It's 255 characters, which seems nice, but one HTML link and your sig is eaten rather fast. I tried to put in my old sig, but other then bbc not supporting some html features, I was at 500 characters for my 3 little images and text. I know a lot of people being artists have some kinda image link, so just some food for thought. It might be the Database just needs limits to support all the images, and that was one simple way, I'm just trying to think of the artists! :P

A true "General" forum title somewhere might be nice. I mean, somethings just don't fit in with rest. Dunno if it'd be used or if we'd just go OT elsewhere like normal though :P

And really Jennifer, nice job on the forums. Please don't think badly that I made a suggestion thread.
Last edited by Wizard CaT on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Re: Forum Suggestions!

Postby Tychomonger » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:16 pm

Wizard CaT wrote:Well, one thing I found odd honestly is that you put the user information on the right side. That side of the screen is generally known as the garbage side, or simply pointless. I'll be honest, I didn't even notice the user info side until 5 minutes of looking around. Most people ignore that side (those with low resolutions normally don't see that side often as well). While being different is different, it might throw a lot of people off simply because of how the Internet has evolved.

I think it is the default setup for this new phpBB software. The Errant Story forums have the same setup going on.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Wizard CaT » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:30 pm

Tychomonger wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:Well, one thing I found odd honestly is that you put the user information on the right side. That side of the screen is generally known as the garbage side, or simply pointless. I'll be honest, I didn't even notice the user info side until 5 minutes of looking around. Most people ignore that side (those with low resolutions normally don't see that side often as well). While being different is different, it might throw a lot of people off simply because of how the Internet has evolved.

I think it is the default setup for this new phpBB software. The Errant Story forums have the same setup going on.

How odd. In my CAIS (computer analysis information system) class, my professor actually told us never to bother coding for the right side unless you were going to stick ads there heh.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:20 pm

Wizard CaT wrote: It's 255 characters, which seems nice, but one HTML link and your sig is eaten rather fast.

Might I recommend SPAM/ ?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:03 am

The forum as you see it now was constructed by massively altering one of the style templates provided with this software. The style template itself is very complicated, and beyond my means to significantly alter in terms of position or location of sections. I cannot alter something such as the user information being left or right on the screen. Personally, I rather like this arrangement, especially with the nice online and offline areas, for which I made (hopefully) nifty buttons. The sidedness of the user information... I'm afraid we are stuck with that.

Secondly, and this is really just my own opinion, but the signature size is rather small. It's 255 characters, which seems nice, but one HTML link and your sig is eaten rather fast. I tried to put in my old sig, but other then bbc not supporting some html features, I was at 500 characters for my 3 little images and text. I know a lot of people being artists have some kinda image link, so just some food for thought. It might be the Database just needs limits to support all the images, and that was one simple way, I'm just trying to think of the artists! :P

Because all of this is so new, there is to be expected a period of getting the kinks out... or better, making things more comfy for the kinks who are welcome here... and little details like signature size I just plain never even considered. Fortunately, you did, so I have just upped the signature size to 500 characters. Do you think it should be more - and if so, how much should it be? I'm going with 500 characters currently, which seems pretty huge, but I frankly don't know. The parameter is very easy for me to set, however.

A true "General" forum title somewhere might be nice. I mean, somethings just don't fit in with rest. Dunno if it'd be used or if we'd just go OT elsewhere like normal though :P

OK, I can do that. I will make a general forum for... random stuff.

And really Jennifer, nice job on the forums. Please don't think badly that I made a suggestion thread.

Heavens, CaT... this is bloody useful! I need to hear about those things people need altered or fixed about this new house we are all foruming in. I will do my best to accommodate, assuming it is something within my power to change, of course. Some things are easy, like the signature limit, but other things are impossible, such as the handedness of the information. Let the suggestions roll in, I will fix what I can, if I can.
F!
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Wizard CaT » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:27 am

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:Secondly, and this is really just my own opinion, but the signature size is rather small. It's 255 characters, which seems nice, but one HTML link and your sig is eaten rather fast. I tried to put in my old sig, but other then bbc not supporting some html features, I was at 500 characters for my 3 little images and text. I know a lot of people being artists have some kinda image link, so just some food for thought. It might be the Database just needs limits to support all the images, and that was one simple way, I'm just trying to think of the artists! :P

Because all of this is so new, there is to be expected a period of getting the kinks out... or better, making things more comfy for the kinks who are welcome here... and little details like signature size I just plain never even considered. Fortunately, you did, so I have just upped the signature size to 500 characters. Do you think it should be more - and if so, how much should it be? I'm going with 500 characters currently, which seems pretty huge, but I frankly don't know. The parameter is very easy for me to set, however.

Uh, I dunno that seems like it would be fine. I mean I only mentioned my 3 exploding kays plus my Earthsea quote was 500, and I always thought my Sig was kinda small. 500 is most likely more then anyone will need. No one had giant sigs to begin with after all. A image based url (which BBC does support!) would even fit in 500 plus other text.

Wizard CaT wrote:A true "General" forum title somewhere might be nice. I mean, somethings just don't fit in with rest. Dunno if it'd be used or if we'd just go OT elsewhere like normal though :P

OK, I can do that. I will make a general forum for... random stuff.

The only reason I thought of that was I was thinking of saying "So who do you think will make the new 666 thread?!" but there wasn't really a place for it :P hehe.

Wizard CaT wrote:And really Jennifer, nice job on the forums. Please don't think badly that I made a suggestion thread.

Heavens, CaT... this is bloody useful! I need to hear about those things people need altered or fixed about this new house we are all foruming in. I will do my best to accommodate, assuming it is something within my power to change, of course. Some things are easy, like the signature limit, but other things are impossible, such as the handedness of the information. Let the suggestions roll in, I will fix what I can, if I can.

Well, you are an artist, and we all know how artists can be ;] Though seriously I don't know, sometimes I (ok always if you listen to some people!) I seem to focus on criticizing and didn't want to seem ungrateful or somethings.

The info on the right isn't bad per say, I just thought it was odd since on most every website it's "dead space" so wondered why it was over thar.

Edit: Figured out the little icons on Uni are just options when you make a new thread :p Maybe I should have noticed that when I made THIS thread heh. oops.
Last edited by Wizard CaT on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:37 am

The Girl Wonder forums also have a nametag-on-the-right format.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby RaharuAharu » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:48 am

I do not mind the names to the right side. I however am used to reading from both directions.

I feel that it would be nice to be able to toggle the huge list of emoticons that slow loading times on and off, so that they only show up when I need them.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:37 am

I don't mind the right-side info boxes either.

However, the yellow-on-red quotation boxes are seriously hurting my eyes.

edit: They're causing eye-strain.
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby Alfador » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:11 pm

I have a suggestion! Allow users to select how many posts per page they see in a thread! I'm so used to the old 15-count thread pages, and now it's set at ten. Is it possible to set that on a by-user basis, or is it part of the whole forum's code?

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Because all of this is so new, there is to be expected a period of getting the kinks out... or better, making things more comfy for the kinks who are welcome here...

*giggle* #_@
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Lizzy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Tehre are alot of subforums. Like, UJ Forums > Forum Constitution > Rules Of the Forum > Rules and Rights Of The UJ Forum. All that for only one thread. Forum Suggestions and Forum Problems is weird too. They're the same thing, right? Why have two seperate sub-forums?

I think everything under Welcome and The Forum Constitution should be one sub-sub-forum called "Forum Business" or something. I think "Forum Business," Games And Gaming, Media, General Stuff, and Political Arena should be under one sub-forum. It's way too messy like it is now!

This is how I would organize things ...

UJ Forums
> Comics
> > The Universe Of Pastel (PDH)
> > The Current Splay (TSH)
> > Gelatinous Discussions (UJ)
> > Ton's Noodle Shop (LOIT)

> Jenniverse.com
> > Jenniverse.com
> > That Jennifer Person

> Random Weirdness
> > Forum Business
> > Games And Gaming
> > Media
> > Political Arena
> > General Stuff
Elizabeth L. Clark, official junior space cadet
Lizzy
Welcome, New User!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:33 pm

Alfador wrote:I have a suggestion! Allow users to select how many posts per page they see in a thread! I'm so used to the old 15-count thread pages, and now it's set at ten. Is it possible to set that on a by-user basis, or is it part of the whole forum's code?

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Because all of this is so new, there is to be expected a period of getting the kinks out... or better, making things more comfy for the kinks who are welcome here...

*giggle* #_@

This setting is only alterable from the main panel. I have upped the posts-per-page to twenty. Tell me how this works out. If it is too much, I can always set it back to 15, just like the old forum. On the other hand, if it is fine, then... great!
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby InterNutter » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:51 pm

Maybe a function where we can upload pictures from our computers?

No offense, but I'm kinda put off by the steps currently necessary [put pic up somewhere else online, include pic as URL reference, etc] especially since my working PC exploded and I lost my FTP capabilities :P

Perhaps a gallery? I think it's a feature of these type forums.
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie
The sig is a lie...
InterNutter
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:28 pm

InterNutter wrote:Maybe a function where we can upload pictures from our computers?

No offense, but I'm kinda put off by the steps currently necessary [put pic up somewhere else online, include pic as URL reference, etc] especially since my working PC exploded and I lost my FTP capabilities :P

Perhaps a gallery? I think it's a feature of these type forums.

Well, server space. This forum is already picturey intensivey and the bandwidth! Think of the bandwidth!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Nick » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:01 am

Photobucket is pretty damn easy to use. If you don't want to use your real email for fear of spam, then use a10 Minute Email address.

To put an image on your Photobucket account, just click "browse," browse for your image, and click "upload." To put it on the forum, just click where it says "IMG code" under the image you want. The code will autonomically be copied to your clipboard. Then just go to post a new message in the forum and hit command-V.

No FTP required. No typing "{img=http://blah.blahblah.blah/blahblahblah/blah/Bl_ah.jpg} {/imgl}" required.

It's easy.
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby Nick » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:12 am

Wizard CaT wrote:Well, one thing I found odd honestly is that you put the user information on the right side.

The most interesting complication the right-side-user-information presents, in my opinion, is that it's incongruous with the facing of most avatars. Standard forum avatars face right, so that they face the words that they're presenting. This is analogous to a comic book character spouting a speech bubble. However, on these forums, a standard right-facing avatar would be facing away from it's words.

It's seriously nothing serious. Just interesting. I'm already considering flipping my avatar around, although it doesn't actually have a mouth and is almost looking over it's shoulder.
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby NMcCoy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:50 am

On my laptop, it's hard to read the red-text-on-brown-background of the top bar below the title banner. >.<
Monthenor wrote:
strange_person wrote:The underlying problem is that people in sufficiently hostile and/or chaotic circumstances drift back toward the R-type reproduction strategy.
They...collect colored orbs to influence the development of their somewhat-detachable attack pod?
Man, if kids could shoot wave lasers I'd be trying to have one.
NMcCoy
Ready For Fruit School

Postby Wizard CaT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 pm

Nick wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:Well, one thing I found odd honestly is that you put the user information on the right side.

The most interesting complication the right-side-user-information presents, in my opinion, is that it's incongruous with the facing of most avatars. Standard forum avatars face right, so that they face the words that they're presenting. This is analogous to a comic book character spouting a speech bubble. However, on these forums, a standard right-facing avatar would be facing away from it's words.

It's seriously nothing serious. Just interesting. I'm already considering flipping my avatar around, although it doesn't actually have a mouth and is almost looking over it's shoulder.

I've always had my avatar facing the wrong way I guess. So now it's facing the text!

And image shack is really simple to use, and you don't even need to give it information other then the file.
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:25 pm

I don't mind the avatars on the right at all, and I like most of the new forum. (Does it get harder to upload images when you use real pictures instead of slapdash ones?) I might want to look for a new avatar that fits the background better (expect this many moons from now.)

But I don't like the quote presentation much more than Nick does.
I defie all the Quakers in England to match this incomparable piece of Nonsence and Enthusiastick Cant.
Dan
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Postby Monthenor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:03 pm

My only suggestion is to put the Save/Preview/Submit buttons above the gigantic list of smilies.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Next

Return to Forum Suggestions