E-mail confirmation for registrations

Where you can suggest changes to the Unicorn Jelly Forums.

E-mail confirmation for registrations

Postby Mitsukara » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:43 pm

So, I recently discovered that e-mail confirmation for registrations has been turned off. I think it would block a lot of the ludicrous dozens-a-day spambots we've been getting, although I suspect it was turned off way back when due to troubles registering for actual members. Is there any chance of this feature being reinstated, or did it indeed seem to be the sole cause of those problems in the past?

Then again, it may not stop the spambots. They typically do list e-mail addresses in their profiles, but I'm not sure whether they answer confirmation e-mails automatically; but besides that, they're already going through the automatic numbers-and-letters generator filter somehow.
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Re: E-mail confirmation for registrations

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:42 am

Mitsukara wrote:So, I recently discovered that e-mail confirmation for registrations has been turned off.

It became a nightmare for our mailboxes, here at Team Bonobo. We had to turn it off. I mean hundreds of attempts per day at one point.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Spamxample » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:52 am

We are not talking about administrators having to activate accounts. I just created this account and did not have to log into my email to activate my new account. This means people can throw up completely false email addresses (or other people's email addresses) and create accounts.
Spamxample
Welcome, New User!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Spamxample wrote:We are not talking about administrators having to activate accounts. I just created this account and did not have to log into my email to activate my new account. This means people can throw up completely false email addresses (or other people's email addresses) and create accounts.

That... shouldn't be possible. I'll look into it.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Return to Forum Suggestions