Merge recommendation:

Where you can suggest changes to the Unicorn Jelly Forums.

Merge recommendation:

Postby Volair » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:02 pm

It seems like the thread count is going to be pretty low in the Forum intro, forum problems, and forum sugguestions forums, so I'm going to advise they be joined into a forum called the "Metaforum," that is the Forum on the Forum.

Just seems logical and clutter-reducing.

:smarty:
Volair
Kumquat Class

Re: Merge recommendation:

Postby Alfador » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:24 pm

Seconded; if it's absolutely necessary that they be separate forums, could they just be subforums under a single category?
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Volair » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:09 pm

Alfador wrote:Seconded; if it's absolutely necessary that they be separate forums, could they just be subforums under a single category?

Actually they already are subforums, which actually weakens my case for a merge somewhat. (Didn't notice before!) However I still think it'd work out in the long run. (However for the introduction period perhaps the three separate metaforums makes sense to help new users get oriented...)
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby Lizzy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 pm

I agree
Lizzy wrote:There are alot of subforums. Like, UJ Forums > Forum Constitution > Rules Of the Forum > Rules and Rights Of The UJ Forum. All that for only one thread. Forum Suggestions and Forum Problems is weird too. They're the same thing, right? Why have two seperate sub-forums?

I think everything under Welcome and The Forum Constitution should be one sub-sub-forum called "Forum Business" or something. I think "Forum Business," Games And Gaming, Media, General Stuff, and Political Arena should be under one sub-forum. It's way too messy like it is now!

This is how I would organize things ...

UJ Forums
> Comics
> > The Universe Of Pastel (PDH)
> > The Current Splay (TSH)
> > Gelatinous Discussions (UJ)
> > Ton's Noodle Shop (LOIT)

> Jenniverse.com
> > Jenniverse.com
> > That Jennifer Person

> Random Weirdness
> > Forum Business
> > Games And Gaming
> > Media
> > Political Arena
> > General Stuff
Elizabeth L. Clark, official junior space cadet
Lizzy
Welcome, New User!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:33 pm

I like Lizzy's plan very much, but I am not yet sure how to implement it. I tried and it didn't come out right. I need to keep fiddling with the controls until I understand how to merge subforums - I want to have a certain look going on.

I'll keep working on it.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby strange_person » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:10 am

In order to maximize it's visibility to the target demographic (which is to say, potential trolls), I would suggest that the forum constitution be either at or near the top, or combined with the Political section.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:31 am

strange_person wrote:In order to maximize it's visibility to the target demographic (which is to say, potential trolls), I would suggest that the forum constitution be either at or near the top, or combined with the Political section.

Done!

Hopefully things are starting to be better, now.

I have implemented many of the suggestions offered so far, how are things doing?
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:I like Lizzy's plan very much, but I am not yet sure how to implement it. I tried and it didn't come out right. I need to keep fiddling with the controls until I understand how to merge subforums - I want to have a certain look going on.

I'll keep working on it.

Well, there SEEMS to be one thing you can do, but if you want to do this, do it now before the forum gets a lot of threads.

Make a new forum named "Forum Suggestions/Problems" then move all the threads from the 2 respective forums into that new one, and delete the old. That might work no? I know you moved my suggestion thread into the new forum you made. There may indeed be a easier way, but in case there isn't, this might be the best way. Though do it now while there are small amount of threads so not that much work.

~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby ujforums » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Wizard CaT wrote:Well, there SEEMS to be one thing you can do, but if you want to do this, do it now before the forum gets a lot of threads.

Make a new forum named "Forum Suggestions/Problems" then move all the threads from the 2 respective forums into that new one, and delete the old. That might work no? I know you moved my suggestion thread into the new forum you made. There may indeed be a easier way, but in case there isn't, this might be the best way. Though do it now while there are small amount of threads so not that much work.

I wanted to keep the problems and suggestions discussions clearly separate for now and very visible. That was most easily done with a top level forum for problems and a second for suggestions. That way, multiple discussions on problems and suggestions can take place (as is happening even now) in one general area without interfering with each other.
ujforums
Site Admin

Return to Forum Suggestions