Time Divisions in Pastel

Can a lowly neoplastic doll save the universe?

Time Divisions in Pastel

Postby Mesocyclone Goddess » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:27 pm

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I don't think it has, but the majority of the old Pastel forum has disappeared, so I can't be sure.

100,000 Pastellian years.

What signifies a "year" in a cosmos with no celestial bodies like Mundis Mundis and no cyclical phenomena like Shatterel or Orbset/rise? Is this designation entirely artificial, a carryover of the calendar from Tryslmaistan or perhaps even Earth? Are there any natural, cyclical events associated with Pastel physics? It's hard to envision any large-scale events, given the nature of Arc-ducts.

Here, we have assigned an absolute value to our smaller time units based on the time it takes for certain atoms to radioactively break down. Is there Chatoyanic radioactive decay?

The reason I'm curious about Pastel time measurement is because it's truly striking, when you think about it, just how alien that universe would be to the human experience. Trys is far more familiar; it has a day/night cycle, entities that resemble the sun and moon, something that passes for seasons, and the occasional rain. Pastel is truly foreign.

@,@
Mesocyclone Goddess
Our New Friend

Re: Time Divisions in Pastel

Postby strange_person » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:33 pm

I would guess cyclical wind-speed or light level variations, or just an arbitrary day-count like the drow (pronounced like "crow," not like "cow," and not pronounced at all if you want to avoid sounding racist) in Tales of MU. After all, the human population was founded by a floating research island, so clocks and calendars would be readily available.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Tychomonger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:33 pm

They carried over Tryslmaistan time. They keep track of it with clocks.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:59 am

Tychomonger wrote:They carried over Tryslmaistan time. They keep track of it with clocks.

Exactly so.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Monthenor » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:24 am

"Year" is an example of convergent linguistic evolution, as in Pastel it's a contraction for "yellow era"; i.e. the amount of time to concretonize 1 000 chatoyant yellow pieces from one block. There's also the archaic forms "reyara" based on chatoyant red, which is about 5.5 years, and fell out of favor as years are more convenient for measuring human timespans.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Wizard CaT » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:58 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:
Tychomonger wrote:They carried over Tryslmaistan time. They keep track of it with clocks.

Exactly so.

Really? I would have thought Chatoyant formation would have been a good measure.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alikat » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:19 pm

It really must have helped a tremendous amount that the bit of Trys that got sucked into Pastel just happened to be a scientific research station. They certainly knew how to keep the clocks running, even without anti-entropic radiation.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Thilia » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:48 am

Alikat wrote:It really must have helped a tremendous amount that the bit of Trys that got sucked into Pastel just happened to be a scientific research station. They certainly knew how to keep the clocks running, even without anti-entropic radiation.

It's one of those fascistic places where you may hate living there, but at least the clocks run on time.

-Thilia
Thilia
Site Admin

Postby Alikat » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:39 pm

I don't like Godan's Stormfall-initiating policy, but I like his Creator of the Universe policy!
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Talaru Corinu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:32 am

The gods of balance have always created with one hand and destroyed with the other. Careful calibration of the rate of each is the key to a working system.
Taste the Sound, Smell the light, I hear your touch.
Talaru Corinu
Blueberry Class

Return to Pastel Defender Heliotrope