Pastel Defender Helitrope the book is out!

Can a lowly neoplastic doll save the universe?

Pastel Defender Helitrope the book is out!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Finally, the book is available from LULU. I have a copy now, and the book is farging gorgeous! It's huge, shiny hard cover, 368 pages, and just amazing color. It is a real treat to sit down and see this as a solid, actual book. The print job is really brill.

http://jenniverse.com/astore.html

LULU raised their prices dramatically, especially for color, so the price is not cheap: $ 104.10

Then again, this is a book no corporate publisher would ever touch, a singular, one of a kind in the world thing, the very opposite of mass-market in every regard other than quality. Some pages actually reminded me of the Codex Seraphinianus, the second most treasured book in my collection. Damn.

It's out, and in time for Cashmas. Hurray! ^v^
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Re: Pastel Defender Helitrope the book is out!

Postby marinschild » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Has anybody purchased a copy of the Pastel hardback comic novel yet? I was just wondering if the images translated nicely to print before I purchased a copy. I'd probably buy a copy of Pastel if it looked bad anyways because my copy of Unicorn Jelly needs some company besides my loving embrace.

I heart book.
NNNNEONLITERFLEWED and paprika[[[]p]]
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Alikat » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:12 am

My copy arrived this week and it's GORGEOUS. I especially love the part of the fight with Chartreuse where Jenny emulated Silver Age comic book styles. Flipping the pages you can actually see Jenny's strength with shaded pastels growing. The first forward was brilliantly written, someone ought to give whoever wrote that a Nobel Prize or something.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Anna » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:08 am

Alikat wrote:...
someone ought to give whoever wrote that a Nobel Prize or something.

To win a prize you need a lobby.
You need good friends in the jury.
And you need a deep breath, it is not easy to spread boxes with cookies, mugs and T-shirts over the continent.
:wink: :mrgreen: :rofl:

With other words, you need a campaign, a good and clever campaign...

Some ideas around, except T-shirts and Co.?
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby marinschild » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:46 pm

Alikat wrote:My copy arrived this week and it's GORGEOUS. I especially love the part of the fight with Chartreuse where Jenny emulated Silver Age comic book styles. Flipping the pages you can actually see Jenny's strength with shaded pastels growing. The first forward was brilliantly written, someone ought to give whoever wrote that a Nobel Prize or something.

I'm glad to hear that the book turned out looking great. I have no excuse to not pick up a copy now.
The fight between Chartreuse and Heliotrope was one of my favorite moments in the series. And I definitely loved the silver-age look. I just wish that Chartreuse didn't have to die. Her death hit me as hard as Justine's death in Frankenstein. U_U
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Alikat » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:48 pm

But they saved her at the end, they brought EVERYBODY BACK. PDH had the ultimate happy ending. EVERYBODY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER! Because they had time travel and near-magical technology, they could rescue everybody at the point of death and give them a new body, and that's what they did. It's the one and only time that will ever happen in one of Jenny's stories, so don't get too used to it!
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Anna » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Alikat wrote:But they saved her at the end, they brought EVERYBODY BACK. PDH had the ultimate happy ending. EVERYBODY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER! ...

"Pastel Defender Heliotrope" - or ...
Death is no excuse for a Happy End

Yes that's a good idea for a campaign, anything more?

Have a good thought, Alikat, because your next post will be 666
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby marinschild » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:18 pm

Alikat wrote:But they saved her at the end, they brought EVERYBODY BACK.

I just hate that she had to die in the first place (and in such a horrible way). I have a weird attachment to supporting characters, and she is the one that I cared about in PDH. I guess it is nice that she did end up being saved in a super-utopian world.
marinschild
Apple Class

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:24 pm

I am so glad you like your book, Alikat. And I agree, the author of the first forward deserves a Nobel.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Alikat » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:42 pm

Anna wrote:Have a good thought, Alikat, because your next post will be 666

I am making this post very deep and heavy, because my 666th post should be TOTALLY METALLLLLLLLLL!!!
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Mitsukara » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:33 pm

I want very badly to purchase the Unicorn Jelly book and PDH, and if possible I would still love to get at least the UJ book personalized... I'm just terrible at managing my finances and balancing myself and finding the right time to do it. I'm sorry.

I definitely will own this book, one day. I absolutely loved PDH. The whole thing was great, but it really blew me away with the sheer scope and complexity of the happy ending ^.^ That's the perfect progression for a story: it starts interesting, it stays good with it's ups and downs, you get worried about how it'll turn out and try to predict it to yourself, but then it surprises you and you're like wowwwww! That was AWESOME!

Not only that, but PDH had a special thing going for it: it's happy ending really went above and beyond. It wasn't just a "oh neat everything worked out good by chance and effort" type of thing, it had a very very deep and well-realized idea for everything really came out good. With most happy endings you know the characters will probably get old and die eventually... and with most happy endings, it's part the skill of the characters and part good fortune that things even worked out well for them. With most happy endings you have to realize that there's, realistically, a chance of some random horrible accident. Maybe Narusegawa Naru got hit by a car the next day and died horribly! Yay! (probably not given the context of how things seemed to work in Love Hina land though. I reckon via carefully placed crossover references that all of Akamatsu's stories are set in the same universe, which means all the magic stuff from Negima is applicable; it makes Love Hina make a lot more technical sense.) But not Pastel... they would have to do something very epic to screw it up too badly afterwards.

That is definitely something to behold. <3 And hold in-hand, when one can.
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Return to Pastel Defender Heliotrope