Immortality

Discussion Of All Things Jenniversal (http://jenniverse.com)

Re: Immortality

Postby Mitsukara » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:33 am

Immortality is good, in my book, if:

(A) There's always going to be something new, due to possibly an infinite universe, or discovering new physics things that expand the possibilities, or if your mind is just that damn creative and enjoys it. My mind feels a little too groggy and mundane for that most of the time, but it's worth a shot if given the chance, certainly.

(B) Sad as though it may be, if you didn't remember everything in crystal clear detail, but could hold on to what really mattered to you- memories of relationships, identity, remembering what you generally like but not knowing everything about it right off the top of your head- you could be happy doing the same old crap over and over again. If I didn't remember everything about it perfectly, I might enjoy an eternity with nothing to do but a copy of Mario 64 (and a working system to play it on) and an infinite supply of pizza... as long as I couldn't taste the pizza while it wasn't in my mouth, and I couldn't remember where all 120 stars were. Forgetfulness has advantages because it keeps things fresh.

(C) If immortality were also coupled, with, say, exploring other universes or some extra cosmic awesome crap like that, well, I think it goes without saying that it's worthwhile.

(D) As incredibly corny and sappy as the sentiment may be... if I had someone I was in love with, to share it with... well. :kiss:

If none of those conditions are met, though, it could really start to suck, and I would spend a good long while really considering everything. Dying is scary, and I would want to feel 100% sure before I decided to go with it. Alas. :oops:
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby SilverFeathers » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:43 am

Monthenor wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:So everyone wants to be like the guy from Justice League: Unlimited who went to close to a meteo that landed and was mutated so he could never ever die. And then eons in the future actually helped Superman save the world through time travel because he was so bored.

Hells yes. Alternating hobbies: one century villain, next century hero. Make a mess, clean it up.

I think I'd rather have time travel than immortality, though. If it came to a choice.

I'd opt for shapeshifting.
ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Alikat » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 am

See, the Movie Devil gets his rocks off signing people like you guys up to Immortality Contracts. There's ALWAYS a catch, just like the Movie Genie and His Three Cursed Wishes or maybe that damned talking fish, oh I 'ates 'im.
!!!
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Tychomonger » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:22 am

Alikat wrote:or maybe that damned talking fish, oh I eats 'im.

Was he magically delicious?
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:11 pm

What Volair said. If I have to die, I'd rather leave behind a Superman than a corpse.
I defie all the Quakers in England to match this incomparable piece of Nonsence and Enthusiastick Cant.
Dan
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Postby Volair » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:38 pm

Dan wrote:What Volair said. If I have to die, I'd rather leave behind a Superman than a corpse.

Absolutely! And to die, not by abruptly coming to a stop, but by gradually dissolving into a being on a higher level, one who remembers all of what one was and who on some level cherishes the memory and is influenced by all one was?

What a way to go.
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby SilverFeathers » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:56 am

I dunno... i think it would be amusing to, when I die, go in such a way that I make at least to local section... and I make some poor cleaning crew quit their job because they just don't pay them enough for that.

ぐりヌホームの銀羽
*~The White Harpy v.2~*
ImageImageImage
SilverFeathers
Magickal Melon 666

Postby strange_person » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:40 pm

SilverFeathers wrote:I dunno... i think it would be amusing to, when I die, go in such a way that I make at least to local section... and I make some poor cleaning crew quit their job because they just don't pay them enough for that.

Nothing guarantees a front-page obituary quite like a spoonful of ice-9.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alfador » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Volair wrote:
Dan wrote:What Volair said. If I have to die, I'd rather leave behind a Superman than a corpse.

Absolutely! And to die, not by abruptly coming to a stop, but by gradually dissolving into a being on a higher level, one who remembers all of what one was and who on some level cherishes the memory and is influenced by all one was?

What a way to go.

Agreed!
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Monocheres » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:03 pm

Shackler wrote:I expect to live forever in the true Heinleinean tradition.

Because it worked so well for him?
---
(formerly known as Synetos Protos ... but Monocheres was an even cooler character)
Monocheres
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:22 pm

SilverFeathers wrote:
Monthenor wrote:
Wizard CaT wrote:So everyone wants to be like the guy from Justice League: Unlimited who went to close to a meteo that landed and was mutated so he could never ever die. And then eons in the future actually helped Superman save the world through time travel because he was so bored.

Hells yes. Alternating hobbies: one century villain, next century hero. Make a mess, clean it up.

I think I'd rather have time travel than immortality, though. If it came to a choice.

I'd opt for shapeshifting.

I'd take the power to grant other people random powers, either temporarily or reversibly. It's not "wishing for more wishes," exactly, since I can't use it on myself, or even control what powers are granted, but it would be all kinds of useful.

The Make A Wish Foundation would have me on speed-dial.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Mitsukara » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:56 am

Then they'd get sued when someone used it to the ends of mass murder (or something capitalistically or governmentally inappropriate), and in turn you'd get locked up and used as a military tool, creating a shady breed of temporary superheroes for them.

Cynically speaking :dead: Not necessarily so. Your chances would be better if you got a supporter/friend who's wish was the ability to protect you, or somesuch.

Upon further consideration, I kind of like my idea (previous post this thread) of a somewhat-memory-challenged repetitively fun afterlife/eternity of immortality, playing Mario 64 and eating pizza merrily on forever or somesuch. It'd be better if I had more stuff to choose from, of course, but it's got a ring to it. I'd be happy with that if it were my best option. Something grander would obviously be cooler, of course, but beggars can't be choosers.
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Tychomonger » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:27 am

El Goonish Shive has forgetful immortals. No one knows what they are up to, not even them!
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alikat » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:18 pm

Perhaps immortals could keep from going coo-coo-ca-ca if they used memory-damaging drugs. Sort of like artificially-induced amnesia. It would be like hitting the Reset button on an old 8-bit computer whenever it locked up.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby strange_person » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Mitsukara wrote:Then they'd get sued when someone used it to the ends of mass murder (or something capitalistically or governmentally inappropriate), and in turn you'd get locked up and used as a military tool, creating a shady breed of temporary superheroes for them.

Cynically speaking :dead: Not necessarily so. Your chances would be better if you got a supporter/friend who's wish was the ability to protect you, or somesuch.

Well, remember, the powers are random, and can only be renewed or replaced by my own willful action. Ideally, I'd be able to retract them instantaneously, by act of will alone.

If the military tries to exploit me, I'll bullshit some geasa about how I need to know what the powers are being used for, or they dissipate. When they call me on it, I just withdraw my support from the supersoldiers I lose track of.

I don't need a supporter with magical pixie powers to save me from the military/industrial goons, not when I am such a valuable resource. If they start doing something I don't like, I start randomly deactivating powers and not telling them why. A corporation is not, in most respects, a conscious entity, so it can be dealt with on Pavlovian terms.

Push comes to shove, I bribe my captors. "Hey, Mr. jailer, what's the boss ever done for you? A decent living wage, you say? Shiny guns? Maybe a pension? I can double it. I know a guy, he used to have brain cancer. The day he met me, tumor went into remission, and now he can pick up a chunk of lead and turn it into gold and lightning. You know Pete, in accounting? He used to be infantry. Shrapnel in the knee, went on medical leave. I did my thing, now he can do math. In his head, perfectly, every time. Photographic memory. Intel and SpecOps are all over him, injury be damned. Wanna see what I can do for you?"
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Cardboard Box » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:29 pm

In order to accept immortality, I would prefer a bod with the following:
  1. Rapid regeneration. Not indestructible, but sufficiently resilient that regular traumas (e.g. poisons, high-energy impacts, re-entry temperatures, space) would be inconvenient rather than deadly. As opposed to irregular trauma like a nova or event horizon. Owie. Just enough to make me take care of myself, y'know?
  2. Regular slew of abilities like shapeshifting, antigravity, and the ability to move in four or more dimensions. It's kinda fun giving someone an atomic wedgie through their power armour. Unless you grab their colon by mistake. They don't like that apparently.
  3. Degrading memory. If I had perfect memory, that would mean more and more of my time would be wasted trying to remember which of my crystal-clear memories was the right one. Besides, that's what journals are for. As long as I remember where I left the damn things, and some moron doesn't find them and make a religion from it. Do you have any idea how troublesome it is to explain to some grand poobah what you are, and why you're meddling with the sacred tomes, and please stop a) grovelling or b) trying to burn me at the stake? In any case, it's not as if I need to remember what I ate five million and six years ago. Unless it was Glyphyttlyx's notion of flkstes which should be avoided at all costs.
  4. Oh yeah. The ability to transfer from one bod to another in case of emergency.
!!!
And there's more where that came from!
Cardboard Box
Aw, they grow up so fast!

Postby Volair » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:25 pm

Naturally, one would want a proper body.

CCC
Volair
Kumquat Class

Postby Sparksol » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:53 am

A sort of central brain-repository...not like in Young Frankenstein, but a place where a lifetime's worth of memories was dropped off after one dies. A dozen or more mes, all living as different species, across whatever realities people feel like contemplating.

If it works, I'd make a heck of a mediator or translator.

Proper body? Shapeshiftability on the sub-quantum level, with full consciousability of the whole process, and multireality++ body that makes the ol' burger-head look like a flatworm by comparison. Out-of-body memory storage as needed, with a user interface of which I can leave a set of controls for it on some D&D-themed world where they can call it "the oracle" or whatever.

What would I do? Well, I probably wouldn't worry quite so much about student loans, entire large swaths of body going rogue or traitor, and I'd probably finally be able to make my hair look like something other than a "recently-zapped mad-scientist" style.
It's not a "what I'd do", sure, but I figure some "what I'd not do" makes a start.
"Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way."

- strange_person
Sparksol
100 Post Little Master

Previous

Return to Jenniverse.com