What is it that makes the UJ forums unique?

Postby strange_person » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:54 pm

I've got a theory, but I don't want to share it until everyone else has had a chance to think. There's one other person who knows about it and posts here regularly; I hereby request that person to not give it away either.

What is it about the original story, Unicorn Jelly, that appeals to transsexuals? How is it that the community here continued beyond the end of the comic itself?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Re: What is it that makes the UJ forums unique?

Postby Nick » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:09 pm

I'm the other person who has heard it. I wish I could just say it, but I'll respect your wishes Strange.

I used to think it was because people here had been downtrodden, and had to get smart in order to survive. Now I think that, if that is a part of "The UJ Effect," it is a relatively small part.

%/

I'm wary of giving any anecdotal data I have because it may have already been tinted by my knowledge of Strange's theory, and my lack of doubt in his theory. I kind of want it to be correct, and I'm not a good enough scientist to always remain impartial in the face of my own wants.
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby Zygote Jr. » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:22 am

...intelligent people, brought together by a commonality for sufficient time to bond. Wee Zygote is brought back time and again by the promise of a warm alien pouch. Poor Zygote has yet to see the inside of that pouch...perhaps he needs to stop sending money.
Zygote Jr.
100 Post Little Master

Postby Plasman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:33 pm

:ooh: What is it about the original story, Unicorn Jelly, that appeals to transsexuals?
Aside from the obvious (the author also happens to be trans), I'd say it's because the entire story arc (both the original tale and the two follow-ons) revolve around the theme of "rising above your expected station".
There are several players who each have aspirations beyond their expected roles in society: Uni is originally a lowly Slime, yet he yearns to be a true Unicorn; Lupiko is a Wiccan who wants to explore Alchemy, and is punished for doing so; Chou wanted to study the native Jellese life, but instead became infected by a Crystal Basilisk and turned into a mutant freak unwanted by her family (yet still went on to save the Universe, no less!); and can we forget poor KayWai, who was not only already an outcast (conical jelly, remember) but also wanted to become a human female...
I think the story appeals to more than just the trans folk, though - it's attractive to anyone who has felt pressured by expectations of those around them. It's a story where the few who are not part of the mainstream manage to deny their alloted fates, and manage to make something better for themselves (and everyone else).

:D How is it that the community here continued beyond the end of the comic itself?
Because people here are generally much nicer and more tolerant than in other places. This was in fact the first forum I ever signed up for, and that was only after months of lurking and research.
The fact that the comics have temporarily stopped means little here; because this forum doesn't feel the need to abide by more typical rules (no thread derailing, no reviving old threads, etc.) it creates a more sociable atmosphere among the members.
Also, because a lot of the forumites here have dealt directly with negativity in their lives (feel free to correct me here, folks, I could be wrong) they tend to be more civilised with their responses. Though they might not necessarily agree with each other, they're usually willing to at least listen to the argument and form an appropriate response.
...TL;DR people here are nice, is all. ;]
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 am

Yes, but what is it about the story that attracted people with those qualities?
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby RaharuAharu » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Zygote Jr. wrote:...intelligent people, brought together by a commonality for sufficient time to bond. Wee Zygote is brought back time and again by the promise of a warm alien pouch. Poor Zygote has yet to see the inside of that pouch...perhaps he needs to stop sending money.

Awwww Little Zygote ^///^

^v^
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Zygote Jr. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:32 pm

RaharuAharu wrote:
Zygote Jr. wrote:...intelligent people, brought together by a commonality for sufficient time to bond. Wee Zygote is brought back time and again by the promise of a warm alien pouch. Poor Zygote has yet to see the inside of that pouch...perhaps he needs to stop sending money.

Awwww Little Zygote ^///^

^v^

...tease. >.<
Zygote Jr.
100 Post Little Master

Postby Sinosaur » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:58 pm

What makes the Unicorn Jelly forums unique?

Obviously the answer is very complicated and deals with any number of factors about the comic and JDR, but I'm pretty sure the single most important answer is...

Me. I'm here, and I'm not on other forums, so it's unique.
Sinosaur
100 Post Little Master

Postby Plasman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:53 pm

strange_person wrote:I've got a theory, but I don't want to share it until everyone else has had a chance to think. There's one other person who knows about it and posts here regularly; I hereby request that person to not give it away either.
What is it about the original story, Unicorn Jelly, that appeals to transsexuals? How is it that the community here continued beyond the end of the comic itself?

Hey, you still haven't told us your theory, S_P. Way to leave us hanging! ;]

...Seriously, though, what's your answer? :(
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:16 pm

I was hoping to get the thread onto a second page before explaining. Ah, well.

Unicorn Jelly leaves some major issues, such as the fate of the title character, unexplained. Simple question, seems like it ought to be obvious, but there simply is no adequate canonical answer. The reader is forced to figure it out for themselves. Most people don't like doing that; it's hard, especially if you didn't learn it early.

Transsexuals, one and all, were forced to learn that particular skill early, with simple questions like "are you a boy or a girl?"

Having learned that much, there's a whole tree of other skills for which figure-it-out-yourself is a prerequisite. One of them is building detailed, consistent imaginary worlds.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Plasman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:51 am

Ahh, I see! Good point. It makes a lot of sense when you explain it that way.
(It's a bit of a shame that I didn't work it out for myself, but ah well. ;] )
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Shenmue654 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Hmm. I may be an utter useless newbie, but here are my theories:

(1). Unless one is extremely tolerant themselves, reading Jennifer's comics and enjoying them would be next to impossible. The comics openly revile intolerance of any kind and demonstrate that being a bigot is generally a poor choice overall. Those outside of the mainstream experience great hardship for their differences but eventually overcome it, some even becoming legends in their own right. And sometimes a character receives nothing in their first life but finds a victory in the effort itself----I argue that Uni was sometimes an example of this.

(2). The links between the three major comic arcs suggest that real friendship is eternal and immortal. And that love is immortal. People die, but what they meant to one another remains. And in some cases versions of them, across universes, are drawn to one another. Thus, I state that the people attracted to those kinds of stories are those that believe that, on some level, themselves. And I don't know if it's possible to think in that way and be a complete jerk. XD

(3). I've come to the conclusion that everyone here is "slightly off." And that's great! :P
Shenmue654
Welcome, New User!

Return to Jenniverse.com