Troll Excluder

Discussion Of All Things Jenniversal (http://jenniverse.com)

Re: Troll Excluder

Postby Idiot Glee » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:29 pm

Alfador wrote:Unicon Jelly!

UniCon J.E.L.L.Y. (Jerks Excluded Like Little Youngsters)
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Relee » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:08 am

Alikat wrote:No, I've encountered the amount of energy devoted to hating Jennifer out there on the web, it's actually quite a tribute to her that she's inspired so many asshats to hate her so much that they've dedicated literally reams upon reams of wanking on about her, and after seeing her physical address posted on Encyclopedia Dramatica, I put nothing past those yard apes. They obviously posted her address as a stalking aid.

Now imagine if a Who's Who of the UJforums made plans for a get-together. We'd be constantly scanning the rafters for those telltale buckets of pig's blood.

I still can't believe they sold merchandise and trading cards with her face on it as part of a "Worst People on the Internet" collection. That was low.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby arex » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:13 am

They did WHAT now? Regardless of one's opinion about Jennifer, I can't see how she'd wind up on a "worst" list...sounds like someone just needed to pad out the list to make it seem authoritative.

Hnngh.
"Ahab knew, baby...I lust." -- Vet-san
arex
Apple Class Master

Postby Relee » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:24 am

It was more about weird people than 'bad' people. Some folks protest the strange. Which _is_ strange, to me, but whatever. ^.^;;

I think my friend David Gonterman was on that list too.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Mitsukara » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:47 pm

There's quite a difference between an online chat meeting and a live, in-person convention type thing.

However, if any of the people here would be interested in live chat with one another, it seems highly logical to me to set up an IRC chatroom. They're free and pretty easy to set up (at least as far as I'm aware of, I haven't actually done so, just been involved in others'); you just pick and join a server (lower traffic but established ones tend to have the best reliability of staying up and not having stupid crap like "DDOS attacks" happen- a thing where people spam the server to force disconnects and crashes basically), and then join #madeupchannelnamehere, learn the script to register it, and bam, you're the owner (or so I understand it). From there you can dole out ranks and bannings for those who join the channel, set up or utilize one of many pre-existing "IRC bots" (a program someone runs set up with IRC script to perform basic tasks for a channel, like helping to make sure a person gets their designated rank set every time they join, etc.), and generally play with it as you learn how.

At least, I think that's how it works. I could be missing a step about the ownership bit, but I'm still pretty sure it's free. The scripting is fairly simple and if you're less lazy than me you can probably find how-tos for such a thing all around.

Also, though, to actually connect to IRC servers and join the channels, you need some sort of client. mIRC as well as a plethora of customized scripted modifications thereof are free, and if you know what you're doing it's also possible to set up a java application that can connect to the site and have it on your website. (Trillian also works as an IRC client, though I haven't messed with it much for that and thus don't know how good it is).

If any key/reliable parties are interested in setting such a thing up I have some friends who run IRC channels (the other half of my social outlet besides UJ, mostly...) from whom I could forward advice, if that would help ^.^
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Nick » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:20 pm

draque wrote:Anyhow, on a more pragmatic note, it might be easier to simply make a meetup at a larger convention. Any kind of scifi/fantasy convention would give people some good motivation to attend and it would provide plenty of fun stuff to do while hanging out.

Checked out that option already. Larger conventions in Washington state all occur at times which would make it impossible for college students from other states to attend.
OtakuMan wrote:You know what.

First ever gathering of Jenniverse fans, the Regional Jirying, will be held on Yahoo Instant Messenger this Sunday evening at 8 PM Eastern Standard Time. I will invite under my YIM name of cymbaline22, and use of YIM and installation of YIM is required.

If you don't like YIM, we can use a different chat program next time.

See you there!

That's right now, isn't it? I vote for AIM next time.

And it's not the first.
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby strange_person » Wed May 21, 2008 10:24 am

Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Nick » Wed May 21, 2008 1:14 pm

Elaborate, please.
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby strange_person » Wed May 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Create a geohashing algorithm. Maybe more than one. Post the automated readouts somewhere on Jenniverse. If a group of people from the UJ boards want to get together, they PM each other with a latitude and longitude in degrees (but nothing beyond the decimal place), a date, and which algorithm to use.

Even if the PM is somehow intercepted, there's simply no way to plan an ambush when you've got at most an hour's head start, and the meeting itself is in the middle of a field or something.

If the forum's security is worth as much as the sand it's printed on, a PM can't be intercepted, so there's just no way for anyone to find their way to a meeting without an invitation. Even if the map-sector can be deduced, there are multiple meeting places (as many as there are algorithms), in different spots every day, and if any one spot is unavailable (due to being in the ocean, infested with trolls, middle of an army base, etc.) there is a prearranged protocol for showing up on the same day at a different location (one of the other algorithms).
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Jelliverse, Jennicon, and exclusivity

Postby Pharmakeus Ubik » Thu May 22, 2008 2:23 pm

It looks like your con already happened, and the efforts to keep out the boat rockers were less than successful.

A man without god is just like a fish, without a bycicle
Pharmakeus Ubik
Kumquat Class

Location: Crossing the land of Bjornsstrand, the land of dark forces, on the way to North Malden.

Postby strange_person » Thu May 22, 2008 2:42 pm

Eh, whatever. Might be useful next time.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alikat » Thu May 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Hey Ubik, is that a Sharks jersey in the lower right-hand corner?
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alikat » Thu May 22, 2008 7:11 pm

Paranoid like an anthropomorphic fox!
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Pharmakeus Ubik » Thu May 22, 2008 9:56 pm

It is not, though I cant really ID it. Wrong color and logo. Probably a Manitoba Furries jersey.

Alikat wrote:Hey Ubik, is that a Sharks jersey in the lower right-hand corner?
A man without god is just like a fish, without a bycicle
Pharmakeus Ubik
Kumquat Class

Location: Crossing the land of Bjornsstrand, the land of dark forces, on the way to North Malden.

Postby Alikat » Fri May 23, 2008 6:04 pm

Could be the Piscataway Plushies, too. GO FIGHTIN' PLUSHIES!
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Previous

Return to Jenniverse.com